Author Topic: Owning a Flemish giant?  (Read 3341 times)

Offline Melissaratmama

• Posts Too Much!
Owning a Flemish giant?
« on: April 23, 2011, 09:02:33 AM »
I will hopefully be adopting two Flemish giant babies sometime this summer and have a few questions.. I know with their giant size you have to be careful not to let them get obese. so what is the best diet and how much do I feed a 8wk old buck? Do I start out on alfalfa hay and supplement with alfalfa pellets until they are older then feed timothy hay... when can I intro greens to their diet? how are Flemish giants when it comes to litter training. Is it good to have two flemish's or one.
Mom to : Percival the ferret, Maggie the dog, Sophie the kitten, and Gabby the cat. Holding memories of the many rats of my past ...

Offline Melissaratmama

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Owning a Flemish giant?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 09:05:05 AM »
Do Flemish giants make good house bunnies? Mine will have free run of my kitchen 80 percent of the time. I plan on caging at night only. thanks.. sorry for all the questions..lol just want to be prepared!
Mom to : Percival the ferret, Maggie the dog, Sophie the kitten, and Gabby the cat. Holding memories of the many rats of my past ...

Offline Melissaratmama

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 09:15:29 AM »
I answered one of my question myself.... I will only be getting one flemish giant. He will get alot of attention as I am at home full time. I honestly think two giants would be too much to handle. would he do better with a smaller size spayed girl say maybe a californian?

Offline htsr4

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 04:11:52 PM »
Here is diet info
http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/diet.html

I have never had a flemish giant before but most rabbits are easily litter trained. Getting them fixed makes it easier to litter trained and makes them more reliably litter trained. And im sure they make great house rabbits.

Offline liza

• Posts Too Much!
  • once upon a time my heart got stolen by rats
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 01:02:07 AM »
Go for two! It's much easier because they would have each other, too. I used to have only one bunny and when we got her a companion, oh boy, she is sooo much happier now! They have been together for almost 3 years now. I don't feel bad that I can't hold her (or him) at all times, I know they keep each other company and are happy together. Definitely go for 2!!!
Currently owned by Jasper,Gopher,Anabelle+Anastasia,Donut+Vivian+Franklin+Guido+Round1+Round2 babies, Dot+Orca,Marie+Rene+Nicola,Libbie,Annie,Melanie+Espresso (rats).Velvet+Dancer (bunnies).Porcellina+Skunk (pigs).Cercira (hamster) and Bandit (dog).
Our angels in heaven, we will always love you!