Author Topic: Cats and Rabbits  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Accidental Damage

• Posts Too Much!
    • One Stop Rat Fun Shop
Cats and Rabbits
« on: April 28, 2011, 11:50:18 PM »
Due to circumstances beyond my control we are going to be having a cat staying with us for the forseeable future. Right now our rabbits are downstairs in our finished basement but our house is open planned and has no door. We will be somehow rigging up a door to fit in the large opening but I am terrified the cat may accidentally get in.

I am guessing it isn't recommended to let them meet under VERY close watch? It may not even have the slightest interest in them but knowing my luck it will be a bunny hunter and manage to sneak in.

Ugh any ideas/ horror stories etc? This will be my first cat so I am unsure what to expect.

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
Re: Cats and Rabbits
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 12:14:08 AM »
Other than getting a door, I cannot think of a way to keep a cat out of a place.
(And actually, both of my cats can open doors. Locked ones.  ??? )

Growing up we had a house bunny and 2 indoor-outdoor cats.
I do not remember them ever taking issue with one another whatsoever...

• Posts Too Much!
    • One Stop Rat Fun Shop
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 10:53:45 AM »
I guess I was tired and it didn't quite come out how it was meant to. We are going to be putting up a door but my husband is notorious for leaving doors open. I thought introducing them first may help if they ever meet each other if the husband ever did forget!

It is an adult cat and we know nothing about her for me to trust her unsupervised with them. Maybe after she has been here a few months...

ETA Don't scare me that she may learn to open doors :yelcutelaugh:

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 11:12:09 AM »
If she is an adult, she may already know how!
Though actually, if you install a simple chain lock, that might be your best bet.

No matter how clever, Kitty will never grow thumbs.  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 01:02:57 PM »
When I was younger, we had a rabbit and cats.  Our cats were indoor/outdoor, and they definitely hunted.  They never saw the rabbit as prey, though.  She was too big.  I'd start with closely supervised visits to see how she reacts, as she may no show interest in them, especially if they're larger and not timid.  A door is still a good idea, but that way at least you won't have to panic if someone leaves the door open.  This, of course, assumes that they're full sized rabbits and not dwarfs. 

Offline Cari

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 11:42:46 PM »
Rabbits and cats can get alone quite well together, but they shouldn't be left alone unsupervised. I would definitely recommend introducing them very gradually. Positively reinforce the cats when they allow the rabbits to have their space. If the bunny feels threatened and thumps or lunges, reward the cats for backing off. At the shelter where I work we have mixed cats and rabbits and had success, but it depends on the cats. What you don't want to see is periods of extended chasing that cause stress on the rabbits. Try to interrupt this behavior.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 12:06:16 PM »
Yeah, it just depends on the cat...and the rabbits.  My boy kitty was protective of my adult rats (though since they were mousers, when they were smaller than a certain size they were WAAAY to interesting to not be under super super close supervision), but my girl kitty, while knowing darned well better than to do anything, I wouldn't ever trust with a rat with me too far away.  She just always had that look of "LUNCH" in her eyes.

Rabbits are big enough that they may not set off the same exact triggers...it may depend on the cat.

Best of luck!

• Posts Too Much!
    • One Stop Rat Fun Shop
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 12:51:26 PM »
Sorry for such a late reply, well she is here and right now I don't need to worry about her going anywhere, for the past week the poor thing has hidden under the bed. Thankfully at least she is now back to eating.

The rabbits are both grown and Fidget is probably twice the cats size and Rafiki is around the same size though scared of his own shadow! If Molly decides to be brave and venture from under the bed we may try to slowly introduce them. We shall see!

Thanks for all the advice.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 04:29:30 PM »
Funny how under the bed is the universal cat hiding place!  Best of luck!   ;D

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 04:35:59 PM »
 :yelcutelaugh:
It's true, all cats to hide under the bed!

The last cat I adopted was so adamant about staying under it that I eventually caved and gave her the litter box (and food and water dish) down there.
I think it was nearly three weeks before she felt brave enough to actually leave my room.  ::)

Offline Cari

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 02:49:47 PM »
Hope everything goes well when your kitty does decide to venture out!