Author Topic: Expanding a cage door?  (Read 311 times)

Offline Lillyloo

Expanding a cage door?
« on: April 29, 2011, 04:17:05 PM »
I'm pretty much fed up with how small our main door to the cage is. It's only big enough for one rat to sit at and a pain to reach in quickly and put up hammocks or when we had to nab a rattie that needs meds. I have a marchiro Kit Tom 62q http://www.marchioro.it/en/kit_tom_en.html I really like it over all just the darn door. We'll be moving out two new babies in there soon and with four bubs it'll only be more of a pain :/

For another reference here's a video of Eye Patch being a brat :P http://www.flickr.com/photos/59718813@N04/5611710677/in/photostream

Are there any tutorials or advise that can be given on how we can make it bigger?

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
Re: Expanding a cage door?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 08:45:37 PM »
Hahaha, I don't have any suggestions on making the door bigger but...wow!
What a clever and determined little guy!  :heart:

Offline maesie

• Posts Too Much!
  • 100% Aussi
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 01:24:22 AM »
I'm not familiar with your cage but had a look at your picture. Can you cut the wire wall away (to the size you want) and join it to the door with zip ties? I have a home-made cage and for the door, I just cut a hole in the wire (sanded/filed down the sharp edges) and then used another piece of wire (I had multiple old bird cages) and made a door out of it and attached it with zip ties and use a clip to shut the door.

Offline denial

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 01:54:24 AM »
I'm also not familiar with your cage... but could you possibly cut off the top to make a flip top? Use wire cutters to completely remove it, then put zip ties on one side to hold it together and kinda act like 'hinges'. You could use safety pins or that little clip in the video to keep the 'lid' on. I'm not sure if you'd need to file down the clipped edges or not since they aren't really in easy contact with the rats, but it's not too hard. A knife sharpener works. Supposedly a regular nail file does too.
The Girls: Elysia, Morgan, Lucile, Elphaba, and Nessarose
The Boys: Cody and Danny.
The dog: Mimzy, my special ed. window licking bug chaser