Author Topic: How to make CN shelf liners?  (Read 503 times)

Offline Kira0403

• Ritten
How to make CN shelf liners?
« on: May 07, 2011, 04:31:07 PM »
I have a double Critter Nation with the newer "no mess" shelves and would really like to try and make my own fleece liners like I have seen on here. Do you just cut the fleece to fit and use binder clips? Or is there some sewing involved? Also, should I use anything under the fleece?

I am bringing home my two males from the breeder next week and am hoping to litter train them...

Thanks! ???

Offline SurrieLou

Re: How to make CN shelf liners?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 01:14:30 PM »
I made fleece covers that slipped over the trays but I hated them. Now I just cut fleece or terrycloth about 2 inches longer on all sides than the tray, put a pillow case (you can find them for super cheap at yard sales and in lots of colors/prints), over it and use the bars of the shelf to hold it on. I just tuck it under the lips of the tray as I put it on.
I know a lot of people use just fleece but I thought it was awful for odor control.

My rats would chew through the "slip on" covers in a heart beat but since I've started tucking it under tightly they don't mess with it.

Offline devadair

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 06:33:28 PM »
Yeah I'd kind of like to know too, how everyone sews liners for CN or FN and what method they use to keep them attached so rats don't pull them up.  I've always used towels and clips but would like to sew a set of liners to see how it works out.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mohandas Gandhi

Offline Violet976

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ignorance killed the cat. Curiosity was framed...
    • The Rat Stash
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 03:06:59 AM »
I make them just like FN Liners with elastic in each corner. The elastic slides over each pan corner & then you drop the pan in the frame. I find it raises the pan in the frame just a tad but I love the fit.

Offline ZeppelinLadyLove

• Zepps Thread Work Hammies
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 05:59:16 PM »
I have the no mess shelfs.. i tried and failed lol

I can sew hammocks now, i think im getting pretty good but measurements are a whole different world to me. Like stickshift and automatic cars... both drive but totally different hahahha :yelcutelaugh:
http://zeppsthreadworkhammies.webs.com/

Owned by 9 rats, 2 dogs, and 2 ferrets<3