Author Topic: Warning to those sing FN-142 as two cages.  (Read 537 times)

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
Warning to those sing FN-142 as two cages.
« on: May 09, 2011, 02:58:44 PM »
I know a lot of us here are using Ferret Nations as separate cages. I have a triple tier FN separate into three different cages. I have the complete plastic pan on the topmost cage (The one that comes with the cage), a BASS pan in the middle, and a deep plastic pan at the bottom. I've seen other people use the solid pan as a divider, and that's what I've been doing for over two years with no trouble at all.

Well, I have one aggressive male in the top, and two younger boys in the middle. I guess they were very determined to get at each other. I heard some huffing and puffing in the middle of the night and woke up to investigate (They're in my room.). Well somehow, one of my young boys had managed to get his foot into the top boys cage enough for his toe to get bitten off, and another toe to be bit. He's on abs and the vet says he'll keep full use of his foot once the swelling goes down.

But just a word of warning. I've put tiles down under the pan now so there is absolutely no way for them to get to one another. Just goes to show, even if it's worked for years, it might not always work. I guess these guys were just super determined.

Offline Wheeljack

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Warning to those sing FN-142 as two cages.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 04:32:55 PM »
I swear, rats and their toe-munching, it's insane  ::)

Those FN pans are actually fairly easy for the rats below them to nudge up so your post is a good reminder.  Tiles or plexi cut to size are an extra layer of safety that are easy to implement.

Hope your poor boys foot feels better soon.

Offline RatAttack59

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Chick Rat Rescue
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 07:56:17 PM »
This is one of the reason that, when I ordered Bass pans for my cages, I got TWO full and one notched per cage.  That way I can do any combination I need.

Hope your little one's toes heal up fast - and you might want to think about neuters for those two...
Jackson~George~Theo
Simon~Truffle
Romeo~ Othello~Sam
Wilbur~Moe~Captain~Felix
Mini Moe~Maisy~Midge

Missing our babies at the bridge
http://www.ratchickratrescue.com/

Offline Violet976

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ignorance killed the cat. Curiosity was framed...
    • The Rat Stash
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 03:23:08 AM »
I noticed this myself when I brought Bug home & had to keep the separated. While watching them huff through the levels, it became apparent that if one really wanted to, a hand, tail, etc could possibly reach through. I ended putting some plastic divider underneath the pan to fully block it off, & put the aggressive boy on the upper level so if any tails were in reach to the lower, the aggressive rat wouldn't be down there to bite it.

Offline ZeppelinLadyLove

• Zepps Thread Work Hammies
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 05:56:05 PM »
thats terrible:{

I was always worried about that happening with my double CN because  I  have girls on top and boys on bottom.. I put choroplast there from fear of missing toes, eyes, and ears.

Eeeesh I hope the little guy feels better :heart:

http://zeppsthreadworkhammies.webs.com/

Owned by 9 rats, 2 dogs, and 2 ferrets<3