Author Topic: Switching out aquarium for cage...CN single?  (Read 1380 times)

Offline MaeLovesRats

Switching out aquarium for cage...CN single?
« on: May 06, 2011, 09:13:29 AM »
Hello, I made a topic on here recently asking if it's okay to house my 3 female rats in my largeish rectangular aquarium. You guys informed me that despite the airflow I had going on in there with the mini fan and my large fan blowing, I needed a cage. Alright, I'll get them one, because even though good cages tend to be pricey, I care. :) So I've had my eye on a Critter Nation single, I really like it, and I love the storage thingy underneath and how much space there is.  I also love how when I get more rats later on, I can just buy another CN single and attach it to the top for more room!
However, my mom wasn't thrilled with the shallow tray at the bottom of the cage, because she is convinced that their bedding will get kicked outside their cage and onto my floor. Blaahhh.  I countered that telling her that I will try to litter train them so that they do their business in a little litter box, and just use fleece "carpet" (don't know what else to call it...quilt flooring? lol.) as bedding like many ppl on here do.(Switch out fleece every few days for another fleece and wash it.)  But she doubts that I can litter train them.

Help?

Offline Anjel

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Switching out aquarium for cage...CN single?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 09:15:54 AM »
You can purchase a Bass pan for a single CN. I believe they cost about $15 dollars? I could be mistaken though.

Rats generally litter train very easy. The fleece flooring are called Liners, and are meant to be used with an absorbent material under it for odor control.  :thumbsup2:

Offline zenia

• Posts Too Much!
    • DeviantART
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 09:18:48 AM »
You can buy deep pans for the cage! Some rats don't take to litter training, and some rat parents just like to use loose bedding. The inside measurements for the CN are a little different from the FN (I think) but this place makes the deep pans: http://www.bassequipment.com/Cages/Ferret+Pans/default.aspx

You will need to buy some rustoleum paint to paint the metal with though, and it takes two weeks for the paint to cure before you can put it in the cage with your rats.

Offline MaeLovesRats

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 09:21:19 AM »
Wow, thanks!! :D I'll definitely look into that. That'd be sweet.
As for litter training, I'd still like to try it with my girls, just to make their living conditions cleaner and easier TO clean.  I don't have 2 different kinds of bedding, just carefresh, but I'm trying the 'dropping their poo into the litter box so they know where it's supposed to go' thingy, they just kick all the poo and bedding out of the makeshift potty. :/ any hints? They think I'm just playing with them it seems.

Btw why would I need to repaint the pan?  :confused:

Offline couturepins

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 09:32:09 AM »
As a side note, to litter train them, you'll need to have two different kinds of litter. If you have the same kind in their cage and in their litter box, they can't tell which place is the potty and which isn't ;)

Offline zenia

• Posts Too Much!
    • DeviantART
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 09:35:31 AM »
Because what they give you is plain galvanized metal. If you don't paint it, urine will be able to soak into it and shortly after, it will reek forever. You can't get that smell out. It is the same reason why everyone here advocates powder coated cages instead of plain metal ones. :)

Offline MaeLovesRats

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 09:37:56 AM »
As a side note, to litter train them, you'll need to have two different kinds of litter. If you have the same kind in their cage and in their litter box, they can't tell which place is the potty and which isn't ;)

OH.  :BlueDumboSmile:

Because what they give you is plain galvanized metal. If you don't paint it, urine will be able to soak into it and shortly after, it will reek forever. You can't get that smell out. It is the same reason why everyone here advocates powder coated cages instead of plain metal ones. :)

Gotcha..lol I guess I'm just lazy, but urrghhh if I have to I will. :P

Offline eyohkay

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rattie Tattie Rescue
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
they just kick all the poo and bedding out of the makeshift potty. :/ any hints? They think I'm just playing with them it seems.

When I first started litter training my girls, they thought the Carefresh in their litterbox was there for nesting material instead of where they should be pottying.  They just carried it all up to their hammocks and pooped wherever they felt like it.  One of these solved the problem, and I actually didn't even have to train them on it, they just started using it on their own.

Offline MaeLovesRats

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 09:59:11 AM »
they just kick all the poo and bedding out of the makeshift potty. :/ any hints? They think I'm just playing with them it seems.

When I first started litter training my girls, they thought the Carefresh in their litterbox was there for nesting material instead of where they should be pottying.  They just carried it all up to their hammocks and pooped wherever they felt like it.  One of these solved the problem, and I actually didn't even have to train them on it, they just started using it on their own.

If I'm supposed to use two litters, what should I use in that litterbox? Aspen?

Offline MaeLovesRats

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 10:04:32 AM »
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753298 This?

Sounds fancy, but so expensive I can imagine...that's not very much for almost 8 dollars.. Plus I'd have to change it out often. Hm..

Offline Eugooglizer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Everything's got a moral, if only you can find it
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 03:07:27 PM »

Sounds fancy, but so expensive I can imagine...that's not very much for almost 8 dollars.. Plus I'd have to change it out often. Hm..

No, you definitely don't need the special litter--its expensive!  I prefer to use the hard paper pellets (like the off-brand yesterdays news) in my litter boxes and some people use wood stove pellets which are even cheaper.  People use all different kinds of bedding in the litter boxes, it really comes down to what you and your rats prefer  :).

Offline Bunnerrrs

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 03:13:57 PM »
If you don't want to pay for bass pans, I have scatter guards and they are awesome. I'm not sure how well they work with litter, but if you plan on litter training anyway, these will help ease your mom's mind.
http://www.animalcages.com/na-sgl-1p.html

Offline denial

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 04:06:54 PM »
You could always try to start preparing for the CN now by putting down towels in the bottom of the aquarium and keep your carefresh in the litter box (until your bag runs out) then I'd switch to something like equisicat unscented, unclumping, cat litter. It's cat litter that works great for rats as it's just untreated paper pellets. Also make sure your litter box is large enough for your whole rat to fit in. Sometimes they won't use it if it's too small an area. A pee stone might also help you out. Any ol' plain rock will work, just clean it off (1/4 bleach & 3/4 water solution then air dry, or freeze it or bake it) then plop it in the litter box. For some reason they're pee magnets and really help with potty training! And trying fabric liners with a litter box now will really help jump start your progress and might prove to your mom that it's doable. Or you might learn that your rats aren't litter box compatible. Like, I have one girl who goes in her litter box, but spends every free minute destroying any liner I put in. I literally have a towel that is completely shredded.

And you don't have to paint your pans yourself (I believe) you can always get them professionally powder coated by a car place. Which, while pricey, saves you the work of painting them, possibly doing a poor job of painting them and will save you the two weeks curing period.
The Girls: Elysia, Morgan, Lucile, Elphaba, and Nessarose
The Boys: Cody and Danny.
The dog: Mimzy, my special ed. window licking bug chaser

Offline Bunnerrrs

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 04:15:45 PM »
I suggest freezing rocks. I exploded rocks in the oven because I did it wrong apparently. Lol

Offline eyohkay

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rattie Tattie Rescue
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 05:44:49 PM »

No, you definitely don't need the special litter--its expensive!  I prefer to use the hard paper pellets (like the off-brand yesterdays news) in my litter boxes and some people use wood stove pellets which are even cheaper.  People use all different kinds of bedding in the litter boxes, it really comes down to what you and your rats prefer  :).

Yup, I use the hardwood pellets.  Much better for odor than Carefresh, IMO.

Offline Daydreaming07

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 11:23:23 PM »
This is actually my first time having rats on fleece liners. I have to admit litter training has been a lot easier than I anticipated. I simply vaccuum out the cage once a day and once every three days I change the liners . No smells! I have only had the boys a month and I have already noticed they will all run to the litter box and use it instead of the floor atleast half the time. 

I use the Kaytee soft granule blend in the litter boxes the plain not any of the scented. It doesn't smell like wet dog which is what carefresh always smelled like to me straight out of the package. Also because the pieces are so small they don't try to carry it around and use it in nest boxes and such.

Offline artbymollie

• little luna
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2011, 04:34:55 PM »
You can purchase a Bass pan for a single CN. I believe they cost about $15 dollars? I could be mistaken though.

Rats generally litter train very easy. The fleece flooring are called Liners, and are meant to be used with an absorbent material under it for odor control.  :thumbsup2:

bass pans for the single are a bout$20 plus $10 for shipping I am ordering mine very soon! just make sure you seal them before you use it!

I love my Critter Nation single by the way the doors that open all the way are great and there are so many different options as far as decorating goes! that would be my vote! they can be pricy but totally worth it!

Offline mischiefmommy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2011, 10:07:42 PM »
If you don't want to pay for bass pans, I have scatter guards and they are awesome. I'm not sure how well they work with litter, but if you plan on litter training anyway, these will help ease your mom's mind.
http://www.animalcages.com/na-sgl-1p.html

I love, love, love these.

Offline Ratacate

• Posts Too Much!
  • <3
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 11:07:30 AM »
make sure when you paint the bass pan to use rustoleum and let it sit for atleast 72 hours
Current Ratties:
Pandora
Gypsy

Bridge:
Ratacate (<3 rat)
Rainbow
Ratatta
Rat 1 (who never had a name :/ )
Oreo
Ruby
Martha
Razzle
Mary

Offline mischiefmommy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 09:58:27 PM »
make sure when you paint the bass pan to use rustoleum and let it sit for atleast 72 hours

You should wait 2 weeks with the rustoleum as far as I know

Offline Bunnerrrs

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 10:37:44 PM »

I believe that's what I read too. That it's cured in 72 hours or whatever, but "rat safe" in 2 weeks.

Offline Ratacate

• Posts Too Much!
  • <3
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2011, 09:32:31 AM »

I believe that's what I read too. That it's cured in 72 hours or whatever, but "rat safe" in 2 weeks.

oops! sorry, i've never had to use it so i guess i misunderstood the article!

::)
carry on lol
Current Ratties:
Pandora
Gypsy

Bridge:
Ratacate (<3 rat)
Rainbow
Ratatta
Rat 1 (who never had a name :/ )
Oreo
Ruby