Author Topic: 2 week old kittens with no mom help please  (Read 755 times)

Offline Secor

• love is a gift
2 week old kittens with no mom help please
« on: May 11, 2011, 08:46:26 PM »
Sorry about this if it seemz a little wonky. I am writing this on my phone and all. So to start of i work at the local vets office. The office was given some kittens with there eyes just opean maybe 3 days ago. Tge person who brought them in wanted them to be put to sleep. So i decided to take them and foster them for the vet. He gave me some tips on getting them on food early. I dont have any troubles with that but im worried about bowl movment. Any tips thats could help? So far only two have went potty  since this morning. Yet they have been eating like pigs. So that is good.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
Re: 2 week old kittens with no mom help please
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 11:59:29 AM »
You are doing the warm washcloth wiping their bottoms until they go, I'm guessing?  I have limited experience, only having done this for a few kittens.  But they usually seemed to go pretty easily.  Just make sure it's a little bit warm (cooler than body temp will make them hold it in)...I don't remember how often exactly you're supposed to feed and potty...but you potty after every feeding...and then some.  They are more relaxed when they're fed and it makes them go easier.

If the particular food you are using happens to give them bad gas, they might not be going as well as they should have, too.

I'm guessing there is a chance that they might not have eaten for a bit before you got them...if someone was just going to have them put to sleep (I suppose better than what some people would do) and maybe they needed to eat some before things got going, again.

Let us know how it's going!

Oh...WE also used to cradle them in our hands and put our face to their tummies (NOT behinds...don't worry) and exhale warm air into their fur.  I'm sure plenty of folks will say that the possible germ exchanges might not be good.  I think if there is a germ that kitties have, I probably had it a loooong time ago.  But, since you asked, we did do that, too.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 12:02:01 PM by Rzrwyre »

Offline Secor

• love is a gift
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 02:17:39 PM »
Sorry for not writting back sooner. It has been kind of a mess here. The kittens are doing great. They all have gotten sharp baby teeth now but unfortunatly the dont want to eat reall foods but instead liked to be feed by syringe. I have tried moist kitten foods and even soom cooked chicken. They take a bite and start eating it. Then the next meal comes agian and they wont touch it. They are finally going for them selves though which is nice. I had to put a heating pad under one side of the plastic box becouse they seems to be having a hard time keeping there body temp up. Other then that the vets office thinks they may have found homes for all four kittens.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 02:37:00 PM »
Yay!  If they've made it this far, they'll prob do great, minus a few weaning issues.  (Hey, even humans have those!)

I will say that often kittens who were gone from their mom too early end up the SWEETEST darned things in the world.  Not that I think it's good, but if they have good people, it will be a bond that can hardly be broken.  (The only thing...nursing...oh, my mom had a monster of a panther of a cat (I dunno, maybe 17lbs) who was a little...weird that way.  Just so funny seeing a big boy being like that!

Best,

Raaz.