Author Topic: martin R660 vs R670  (Read 2105 times)

Offline Ratlovingkippy06

• Posts Too Much!
  • Thats alright my rat thinks your groose too:)
    • Rat photos
martin R660 vs R670
« on: May 13, 2011, 02:50:49 AM »
 Outlaw has been living in a 20 long tank since he came home with me a few weeks back.. He has really come along since he came home; i plan on getting him neutored soon and would like to give him a upgrade.
I Dont plan on ever having him live with another rat because of his history so i am looking for a martin cage that could hold a rat or two.

R.I.P- Shadow, Apollo, Boo,Meka, Mandy, Remy, Kayla, Mia, Lexi, Sable, Romeo,Winstin, Sam, Missy  Annie,Selene, Leo, Juilet, Zeus Emma,Helen, Oreo, V, Troy, Hope, Beauty.

Offline icameasarat

Re: martin R660 vs R670
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 08:09:55 AM »
how bout get a guinea pig cage with powder coating? they have a few 30x18 small cages that would be very appropriate for a single male.

Offline Ratlovingkippy06

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat photos
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 11:20:35 AM »
 I tend to go over the top with my cages and want to give a ton of room for my rats. I work long hours now so when I am gone for 11 hours at work i want to make sure my rats have more than enough room. I am looking for a taller cage rather than deep and long. My hope is to be able to use it to house other rats in the furture for either foster or when i have babies since my other two cages are a double critter nation and R695. Which has 4 and 3. I have a rabbit/ guinea pig cage i am using for two very old ratties and I want to have smaller bar spacing b/c this rat has history and he is smart. I don't want any risk of him getting out.
R.I.P- Shadow, Apollo, Boo,Meka, Mandy, Remy, Kayla, Mia, Lexi, Sable, Romeo,Winstin, Sam, Missy  Annie,Selene, Leo, Juilet, Zeus Emma,Helen, Oreo, V, Troy, Hope, Beauty.

Offline icameasarat

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 01:32:47 PM »
Well a 670 is only 24x14 which doesn't leave a lot of space for a male rat- even if its a single male rat, and a 660 I think is a 18x11(?) Model which would be way to small. Martins can customize bar spacing if your worriedd about that, I ordered a rat cage for my show male mouse with all 1\2" bar spacing squared so that's a option too. But if you want a taller cage id get the 680 then. I had a single male in one and it was perfect for him.

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pick the adoption option!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 01:41:11 PM »
Poor boy  :(  He needs to be neutered ASAP so he has some hope of living with other rats.  Neutering really does wonders (seriously), and you shouldn't rule out him being intro'd to other rats because of his behavior now.  Otherwise, if you really feel he should live alone, he needs a large cage to make up for the lack of socialization and camaraderie - I would go with an R-680. 
  <~~ Add Chelsey's Cozies on Facebook!  :)

Offline Susiedbc

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 03:58:45 PM »
I agree with the others who said go for a 680. I don't know you could really even fit a wheel in the 660 or 670. Mine *just* fits in my 680.

Plus, unfortunately, rats don't live forever, so if you are investing in a cage, I'd go for one that could house at least 2 rats in the future.

Offline Ratlovingkippy06

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat photos
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 12:19:15 AM »
  His history is why I will not try and keep him with other rats. HIs is named outlaw for good reason and I just can't trust him.
 I am working on getting him neutored as soon as I can but at the moment I just want to get him out of a lock down 20 long tank and into a cage were he can move around.

Offline Ratlovingkippy06

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat photos
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 01:18:24 AM »
 The R670 can hold 2.33 rats and is 24 X 14 X24.
 Little history on outlaw.
He was running wild inside a petstore and broke into several cages that housed birds and did attack and kill several more than once. They got him by catching him in a live trap. The manager called me and asked me to take a look at him to see if there was any way he could ever be a pet. I waited a few months and checked in on him every few weeks. Than there was a new manager who I knew wouldn't allow outlaw to stay and would take him to the vet to be put down so than i agree to take him. After two weeks with my boyfriend i took him home. He has really improved but knowing that has killed over 15 birds in one night.. i just could never risk it. I am going to see if his behavior changes after surgery but the plan is for him to live out his life alone.

Offline shimonohanzo

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 01:55:41 AM »
That is quite a history. Hope everything turns out ok.

Offline maesie

• Posts Too Much!
  • 100% Aussi
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 04:12:34 AM »
He's had a rough past... BUT birds are not rats, and if he is neutered and introduced properly to another rat, it may be a different story.

Offline icameasarat

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 10:11:38 AM »
i would still go with a 680. its the same layout as the 670 but the 30x18 base which is easier for ratties (espeically males) to maneuver as they get old.

Offline eyohkay

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rattie Tattie Rescue
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 10:46:08 AM »
He's had a rough past... BUT birds are not rats, and if he is neutered and introduced properly to another rat, it may be a different story.

+1

Someone I know through another forum just had her pet 'keet eaten by her rats.  There are several rats living in the cage that the bird was pulled into.  It's not fair to him to assume that he will be rat aggressive just because he acted on his natural instincts towards an animal he saw as prey.  That's like saying a cat can't live with other cats cause it killed mice.  Especially after a neuter, I don't see any reason at all why he couldn't have some friends.

Offline Ratlovingkippy06

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat photos
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 11:36:27 AM »
 You guys are just going to have to trust me. 
Thanks for the info. I ordered my cage and hope to see it tuesday.

Offline eyohkay

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rattie Tattie Rescue
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 11:38:23 AM »
 :doh:

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 11:42:02 AM »
My sweetest rat (I post about how wonderful and loving Missy is all the time) is quite the huntress.  She would love to snag her a bird, especially if she was loose and had no food, but she'd do it anyway.  She also views fish as prey (none died, thankfully).  It has nothing to do with how she'll get along with members of her own species.

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pick the adoption option!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 01:07:00 PM »
My sweetest rat (I post about how wonderful and loving Missy is all the time) is quite the huntress.  She would love to snag her a bird, especially if she was loose and had no food, but she'd do it anyway.  She also views fish as prey (none died, thankfully).  It has nothing to do with how she'll get along with members of her own species.

+100  :thumbsup2:
  <~~ Add Chelsey's Cozies on Facebook!  :)

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 05:20:52 PM »
This boy is going to be doomed to live alone and never be trusted because he killed some birds?    :shocked2: :doh:

I really hope you didn't get the R-660 or the R-670...they are very narrow and are awkward with steep ramps (not good for oldies in the future), no room for wheels, hammocks etc.  I bought that cage a LONG time ago and it really ended up being good for a couple of babies.  I gave it away to an adopter with babies.

Don't forget I have some vicious girls here who lived free in petsmart for a long time, although they never managed to get into any bird cages (HOW did he manage that?) but the people were convinced the one was pathologically scared, and the other was pathologically insane.  I have been nipped twice in the beginning, and now I medicate the "biter" easily, (pull her out of cage to syringe it down her throat...easy time for a chomp)

YOU should know better to believe anything anyone says until you see it all yourself.  >:(

Offline Sidders

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2011, 06:50:42 PM »
I agree with what everyone else has said. Give him a chance. Just try an introduction, but be prepared with some heavy gloves or something to grab one of the rats if need be. It's really not fair to him to not give him a second chance at having some friends.

Offline ceopet

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rat love is the best love.
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2011, 07:51:39 PM »
I am going to echo what everyone else has said here get the 680 and try intors.

Offline knuckles

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Lightening
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, 09:16:24 PM »
since we aren't in the situation, we shouldn't judge.  :)

best of luck with outlaw
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 10:38:30 AM by knuckles »

Offline Ratlovingkippy06

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat photos
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 12:17:13 AM »
 As I said from the start I am just looking for a basic cage right now for him; I have  a critter nation, R 695, rabbit cages for senior rats and 3 other cages. Right now I am just getting his cage. I have a  good rat sense and have a very good understanding of animals. First the cage than neutored and go from there.  " testing him out with rats" is out of the question at this time.
 I will do whatever is best for outlaw. He has come a long way these past few weeks and my hope is after the surgery he will be even better but this kind of thing takes time and is not something i will rush. How many times have you heard of adult rats killing baby rats before the owner could stop it? 
There are soo many factors involved. This isn't a normal situation please don't judge me.

Thanks again for the info on the martin cages.