Author Topic: I guess I rescued a bird today... (lovebird)  (Read 1673 times)

Offline Sorraia

• Posts Too Much!
    • Confessions of a Rat Breeder
I guess I rescued a bird today... (lovebird)
« on: May 23, 2011, 12:10:46 AM »
I wasn't really intending to get a bird, let alone a lovebird, but now I have one!

I work as a field biologist, and one of the projects my company has is cowbird trapping. This weekend was my on-call weekend, meaning our assistants who check the traps (traps are checked daily) call me when they start and when they end. I get a call from one assistant who says he has a "situation". I immediately think something bad happened, like his car broke down. Turns out he had a 'parrot' in one of his traps, and didn't know what to do with it. He texted me a picture, I look at it and see its a lovebird. Tell him to catch the bird and put it in a carrying cage, and I'll meet up somewhere along his route to take the bird (since he didn't want it). Of course I didn't have a cage to carry it in or a cage for it to live in, so I stopped along the way to buy something cheap and small to house it temporarily until I can get something better (or rehome it, haven't decided if I'm keeping it yet or not). Drove out 30-40 minutes and picked up the bird. It was of course stressed and scared, but seemed to settle down quickly on the way home. It was chirping to the radio and even looked like it was "playing": running back and forth on the perch, bobbing its head, and hanging up side down in its cage. Obviously it was someone's pet, and is in pretty good condition. I'd like to see it a little bit more meaty, but it isn't emaciated either. One foot does look a little mangled, with one of the rear toes bent forward and pointing up. Looks like an old injury that didn't heal well. Except for the jostly car ride home, that foot doesn't seem to bother it too much.

Tomorrow we have a biologist meeting, so I'll see if any coworkers would like a lovebird. If not... guess I have a new pet! If that's the case, I'll have to find it an appropriate cage, and I suppose get it a friend as well. Though not really afraid of me, it doesn't seem to want to be handled either. Of course that could just be the stress of its situation though. I did have lovebirds years ago, but those were Fischer's not Peach-faced Lovebirds. I had always heard Peach-faced are among the more affectionate, tame, and friendly lovebirds, and I think I agree with that assessment already.

Here are pictures. Remember, this is JUST temporary housing, not its permanent cage.

NOM-ology A study in rat nutrition.
http://nom-ology.blogspot.com

Confessions of a Rat Breeder
http://bwr-rats.blogspot.com/

Offline heidinratties

• Posts Too Much!
Re: I guess I rescued a bird today... (lovebird)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 12:18:02 AM »
Aw he (or she?) is adorable!  Good for you for taking it in.
3 male rats. 1 male hamster. 2 female cats.  1 boyfriend.