Author Topic: Was she Really Spayed?  (Read 1566 times)

Offline Accidental Damage

• Posts Too Much!
    • One Stop Rat Fun Shop
Was she Really Spayed?
« on: June 02, 2011, 12:36:35 PM »
This is rather long so I am sorry in advance, if you came to help about the vet part I put that in bold so you can just skip to it if you want.

I am having serious doubts that our 3 year old female rabbit has been spayed. We of course wanted her spayed to dramatically reduce the risks of cancer but we went ahead and had her spayed at the earliest recommended age because of issues we were having with her. Everyone we talked to and thing we read told us the issues would stop with a spay.

Here is a run down of the issues we had and are still having:

1. Litter Training- She had no concept of what a litter box was for, still to this day she doesn't use it to poop and only very occasionally to pee unless she just happens to be sitting in her tray. I am having to vacuum 2-3 times a day just to make sure I have a place to walk that doesn't have rabbit crap. She also pees where ever she feels like it which means mopping the floor daily and washing the rug at least once a week. We have tried all the tips and tricks we have read to no avail.

2. Nest Building- This was probably top of our list at the time for a spay. From a very young age she would build nests, which I know is normal for unspayed females who have phantom pregnancies but Fidget was at times doing it on a weekly basis and sometimes for 3-4 days at a time only stopping for minute breaks occasionally. She right this minute is exhausting herself building yet another nest, it so hard watching not knowing how to help her. I have tried distracting her, giving her treats but she wants nothing to do with me when she gets like this.

3. Circles my feet as soon I enter her room and will only stop for attention. It wouldn't be so bad if she didn't trip me up so often.

4. Not so much an issue as another pointer towards her not being spayed. She has a huge dewlap that apparently spayed females aren't supposed to develop.

We have since taken her back to see the male vet (she was spayed by the female vet) for a check up who suggested we spay her (he noticed her dewlap). We told him she was in fact spayed and his partner did it, he was shocked and went to check her records. I also mentioned about the nest building ( though I left the other stuff out, I didn't want to seem like I was backing him into a corner). He said it was rare but occasionally rabbits can have a third ovary.

Is it possible on an ultrasound to see if a rabbit has had all of her reproductive organs removed?

If she was in fact spayed but does have a third ovary is it possible to remove it? Does it have the same risks as a spay? And would it be the same cost as a spay?

I am just so frustrated that we are still having all of these issues. I would have so much more time with them both if I didn't have to clean up after her so much!

Offline JessicasZooCrew

• My blog
Re: Was she Really Spayed?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 05:57:11 PM »
I have had both bucks and does develop dewlaps after they were speutered so I wouldn't use that as an indication. In my experience, very little change with does - or bucks really, except it takes away the majority of their sex drive. It usually helps with litter training but not always - Charlie had impeccible litter box habits both before and after he was neutered, Angel (his first wife) never learned to use a litter box and I adopted her spayed. Some rabbits never have good litter box habits.

An x-ray should be able to tell if she was spayed. When you picked her up after the spay, her belly should have been spayed and you should have been able to see where they did the surgery.

As for the other questions.. I showed and bred rabbits for 8 years (have had rabbits for 12 but had pets first). I retired recently but still have 15 rabbits (2 are fixed so far, working on the rest). Actually, I have 16 but Hazel the English Spot was a stray I caught and hope to rehome. Anyway, even my bucks build nests sometimes. And my speutered bonded pair nest build. It's not that uncommon.

As far as circling your feet no suggestions on how to stop that as I either don't have that issue or have never noticed it. Do you just have 1 bunny? If you bond her with another spayed female or neutered male that may help that situation.
~~Jessica And Crew~~

Offline Accidental Damage

• Posts Too Much!
    • One Stop Rat Fun Shop
Re: Was she Really Spayed?
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 07:37:05 PM »
Oh she definitely was at least cut open, in fact the incision was much longer than we were expecting.

She lives with neutered boy and they get along great (well except veggie time where they get fed separately).

Its good to know these behaviours can be normal, I think her just having them all kinda makes me have niggling doubts and when the other vet seemed so shocked that she was spayed after explaining some of her behaviour I needed others opinions.

Thanks!