Author Topic: Cat food question  (Read 1154 times)

Offline Andrea12065

Cat food question
« on: May 30, 2011, 09:46:40 PM »
This has probably been asked before but Im wondering what the best food is, at a reasonable price for a cat. I admit Im not feeding the best food for my kitty and I blame that on her skin problems. She gets these hot spots, scabs, and itches  a lot. Vet said its dry skin, I say food. I tried Alaskan Salmon Oil and she HATED it. I just want to make her skin better. I feel bad  :(

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Posts Too Much!
  • How could you NOT love those furry little faces?
    • CatCentric.org
Re: Cat food question
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 11:09:17 PM »
The "best" food is the food an animal evolved to eat; in an obligate carnivore's case, that's fresh, raw meats, organs and bones. You can check out feline-nutrition.org for more specific info, transition tips, etc.

Failing a fresh, raw diet, then a grain-free, fish-free, veggie-free canned diet is the next best option. Natural Balance has a couple, I think, as does Wellness, Felidae, Go! Natural, Evo, and Nature's Variety Instinct. An easy way to assess ingredients is to look up the product on petfooddirect.com. Offering several flavors and brands helps ensure a cat doesn't become fixated on any one flavor and protects the cat when quality control issues pop up.

Kibble is an entirely species-inappropriate diet for cats and causes all kinds of nasty health and disease-related issues; see feline-nutrition.org again.

AC
AC's Crew: Allen, Rachel, Meghan, Spencer, Heather & Ralph

CatCentric.org: A raw feeding, feline nutrition, health and general cat care blog, article and resource site.

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 11:09:54 PM »
Yup, it has:
http://www.goosemoose.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,118/forum,cat/topic,4064651.0
http://www.goosemoose.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,118/forum,cat/topic,4052936.0
http://www.goosemoose.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,118/forum,cat/topic,3000049.0

I don't know what your idea of a reasonable price is.  If you posted a price range per day that could help people make good suggestions.

If your cat has dry skin, feeding a wet diet could help improve her hydration.  You can also mix oils in with her food besides fish oils- olive or canola oils may be more acceptable.  Hot spots and itchy skin could be from food allergies as well.  A number of limited ingredient cat foods are commercially available (i.e. duck and green peas by natural balance, or EVO canned 95% beef/venison/duck, or by nature 96% meat canned food).  Pick non-standard protein sources such as beef or duck and stay away from any grains and protein sources in her current food if possible (if she's sensitive to chicken, a different chicken based food won't help).  :thumbsup2:

Offline Andrea12065

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 11:20:08 PM »
Thank you  both!! I am going to go look at some ingredients in food tomorrow while at petsmart..i think im going to do the Evo food. (i looked it up) and someone a while back told me her cat had the same issue with certain foods, so im going to try the grain free food for dry. Should I wean her off of old by mixing in with the new?? Shes been on the same stuff for a long time. My dog, rats and now cat's monthly food bill will be more than mine and my two children lol...

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Posts Too Much!
    • CatCentric.org
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 09:03:11 AM »
Thank you  both!! I am going to go look at some ingredients in food tomorrow while at petsmart..i think im going to do the Evo food. (i looked it up) and someone a while back told me her cat had the same issue with certain foods, so im going to try the grain free food for dry. Should I wean her off of old by mixing in with the new?? Shes been on the same stuff for a long time. My dog, rats and now cat's monthly food bill will be more than mine and my two children lol...

"Grain-free" kibble just replaces the grain with something else as inappropriate, such as potato. You're best bet is to get rid of kibble completely.

http://feline-nutrition.org/health/species-inappropriate-the-dangers-of-dry-food

http://feline-nutrition.org/health/carnivore-digestion-and-inflammatory-bowel-disease

AC

CatCentric.org: A raw feeding, feline nutrition, health and general cat care blog, article and resource site.

Offline Minadora

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 06:03:17 PM »
In my opinion, the best food you could give your cat is Fromm. Either Fromm or raw food. But raw is usually more expensive.
I recommend Fromm to every cat and dog owner I know, I use it for my four cats, and they are all in great health - even the 16 year old siamese. :)

Offline Auntie Crazy

• Posts Too Much!
    • CatCentric.org
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 10:42:16 AM »
... But raw is usually more expensive. ...
This is a generally-accepted "truth" that actually isn't true at all.

I've been feeding frakenprey raw to six cats for several years now - it is literally HALF the cost of canned food. I also regularly assist cat owners in making the transition to raw, and every raw feeder I know has had similar results - fresh, raw meats and organs are considerably less expensive than commercially-prepared canned or raw foods.

Best regards!

AC

Offline Andrea12065

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 10:44:21 AM »
i wouldnt even know where to begin if i fed her raw lol..

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 03:38:59 PM »
Unless I'm mistaken, it will often take a transition to canned before raw, anywayz...and your kitty might well be a lot healthier just to begin with that transition.  SO...getting on that road while you figure the rest out is totally reasonable!  I had a boy who was SUCH the crunchy boy and I was never able to completely wean him off of it without some major problems, even though it was clearly not doing him any good digestively.  (It kept him from wasting away, though).  Since he passed away, my grrly is happy to get all wet.  (I mean, who would turn down beef stew for all beef jerky all the time...esp. if it was mostly corn!)  I doubt that at age 14 we will switch to raw, and I don't know what I'll do with kitties in my future, but by all means wet is a big step up in so many ways.  Even the ones that do have some grain in them have so much less than they have to put in the dry just to keep it in pellet form.  If you can take an hour or so to really go through all the canned stuff and just read and read and read the ingredients, that will help.  The less in the by-products and more in real meat, the better.  And I'm personally not a huge fan of all the weird added things like veggies and potato and peas, but then again, in nature, it is true that a cat will eat a little of plant mattter, so who knows.

I'm in a weird situation myself where I have a grieving kitty who I am needing to feed whatever she will accept to eat, so I don't pretend that her diet is what's recommended, but at the same time am shooting for the best thing that she'll both eat and happens to be good for her.  Since her brother died, she's been right on the borderline of losing enough weight that she'd risk liver damage...but a month ago she'd be in 7th heaven with the variety of stinky canned stuff I've been offering multiple times a day!  (She's always been a little...zaftig, to say the least!)   ;D  - Raaz.

BTW, yes...I understand about the budget issues!  After each paycheck I sort of "priority spend" and the first thing is to buy cat food!  (That way I don't goof it up and run out later!)   ::)

Offline Andrea12065

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 03:45:39 PM »
In my opinion, the best food you could give your cat is Fromm. Either Fromm or raw food. But raw is usually more expensive.
I recommend Fromm to every cat and dog owner I know, I use it for my four cats, and they are all in great health - even the 16 year old siamese. :)
I actually switched my pitbull to Fromm Duck and Sweet Potatoe, and looking into it for the cat as well. I looked it up just now and seems a lot of cats do well on it, and one owner had the same issues with skin as my Mandy and her skin issue went away when switching to Fromm, so I think its worth a try. Im not sure raw diet is the right choice for her. Shes picky and HATES any type of wet, so I jsut dont think its the right choice for my cat.

Offline crazychelss

• <3 my ratties
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 09:47:59 AM »
I use natural balance its great! I was feeding purina before and my cat was hugely overweight and still somewhat is and he had horrible dirreha all the time. I switched to natural balance and no more weight gain and its for all ages so my kitten was started on it and he seems so much healthier growing up then my other cat did. In my area its about $13 for i believe a 5 lb bag which to me was the most resonable price for a very healthy cat food with no other additives like grain or corn which is bad for cats and in most cheaper foods.
~Mother of Rats: Mi's, Miko, Lave, & Cassanova, Dogs: Bey & Riza, Cats: Kyo & Ezio~

Offline Andrea12065

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 09:32:35 AM »
Just wanted to say I switched Mandy to Taste Of The Wild about a month ago and shes doing SOOOO good..NO hot spots, NO itching, shes happy again!! Its a little expensive but its all natural, no fillers, grain free, no chicken ect..and shes doing so good!!!!  :)