Author Topic: Yay! Gerbils!  (Read 2253 times)

Offline PetLove

Yay! Gerbils!
« on: June 02, 2011, 03:52:13 PM »
Getting gerbils soon!
Any advice on the toys and cage setting they prefer?
Over the many years of pet loving..
`~R.I.P''
Iggy and Daisy- My iguanas
P.J and Mr.Pig- My guinea pigs
Keeter and Kiwii- My parakeets
Oreo and Mazy- My ratties
Love and miss you all!!

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
Re: Yay! Gerbils!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 04:09:08 PM »
They  like a deep base so that they can borrow, and their wheel needs to be metal.
Anything that is plastic will be chewed into an unrecognizable state.

That being said, they love having things to gnaw on!

Offline PetLove

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 07:06:50 PM »
Okay cool I currently have 2 rats so I know how the chewing goes xD I have never owned a gerbil, just guinea pigs and such, I was reading online that they dont like the hammock so I was thinking like the hanging tent from petco, http://www.petco.com/product/105868/Super-Pet-Sleep-E-Tent.aspx?CoreCat=MM_SmallAnimalSupplies_SleepersHideouts

Not sure if they would actually be able to crawl into it or not, maybe if I hang it over a shelf in their cage. I'll post some pictures when I get them :D soo excited!!
Over the many years of pet loving..
`~R.I.P''
Iggy and Daisy- My iguanas
P.J and Mr.Pig- My guinea pigs
Keeter and Kiwii- My parakeets
Oreo and Mazy- My ratties
Love and miss you all!!

Offline nikkiblue11

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 04:07:14 PM »
Gerbils are better in Tanks, not cages. They are burrowing animals and need to burrow in deep substrate ( think 8 inches). Give them a lot of non waxed cardboard to chew, tp rolls, cheap unscented tissue, Aspen or ECO bedding. They live in groups but are very territorial so if you need to do an into the split cage method works great.
two Ratties, Lizzy and Baby

(We also have eight Gerbils and a dog and Fish. The Gerbils are owned by my Mom and Sisters)

Offline Randomrat

• Posts Too Much!
    • Dashing Hamsters
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 02:42:23 PM »
Egerbil is a great and informative gerbil website. The bets one I've seen so far. ;)

Offline shooper

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 04:13:32 AM »
Show us pics when you get some! I agree that a tank is best!
Mom to 3 dogs (Trouble, Josie and Trooper), 2 chinchillas (Charlie and Inca), 1 sugar glider (Clyde)
and 9 ratties (5 girls and 4 boys)

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 11:03:57 AM »
PetLove hasn't been on in a few weeks, so I will just pop in here for her, she actually found out that gerbils are illegal in her area, so she will not be getting any.
I believe she was looking at rats/guinea pigs last, but I can't quite remember.

Offline cagedbirdsinging

• Rat Snacks 'N Stuff Owner
    • Rat Snacks 'N Stuff
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 12:23:43 PM »
I know this is an old thread, but someone searching through the threads may find it useful!

When I had gerbils, I bought one of those aquarium cage toppers to make a neat habitat for them.

I would almost completely fill the aquarium with a bedding that would support their tunnels (Carefresh always worked well), and then had it so that they could crawl up into the cage portion to eat, drink, use their wheels and other toys, etc.

It gave them so much room and allowed them to utilize their natural burrowing instincts while still having the benefits that a wire cage can have. Mainly, ventilation and toy installation.