Author Topic: Dog ate cat poop :(  (Read 3217 times)

Offline Andrea12065

Dog ate cat poop :(
« on: June 02, 2011, 08:45:33 PM »
Well, I have a cat, and our dog toni is NASTY and went into her litter box and ate a piece of poop. I yelled at her to drop it, and she did, but i know she ate some. Also, outside, we have a ton of stray cats, and one uses my lawn as a litter box, and toni found a piece and started eating it..what is her obsession with cat poop, and is she going to get sick? Of course i dont let her eat it..i just dont want her sick. Gross, I know lol

Offline Sidders

Re: Dog ate cat poop :(
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 09:30:49 PM »
Because cat poop is yummy! :P It's actually because the cat poop is partly undigested and cat food is veryyy yummy to dogs because it's higher in protein and fat so it's like tasty junk food.

It's actually very common for dogs to eat cat poop. I'm lucky enough that my dog seems to have more "etiquette" than that, but my boyfriend's family's dogs all loooove to go out in their backyard and eat all the cat poop they can find. (Makes for some AWFUL stinky breath and I get grossed out when they try and lick me.)

Saying that, it's still not a good thing. Like any poop, it can harbor bacteria and parasites especially if Toni is eating stray cats' poop like you said. You don't want Toni to pick up something bad that these cats may be carrying. Your best bet is to train her that cat poop is NOT okay to eat by saying "leave it" every time she goes near a pile or the litter box. Also, try and keep your cat's litter box as clean as possible (I scoop mine twice daily) and maybe try occasionally cleaning up the poop left in your yard from the other cats. Good luck!

Offline DebW

• Donor
  • Posts Too Much!
  • "That teacher with all the weird animals!"
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 02:29:10 PM »
Mine not only goes for cat poop (we have a neighbor cat that poops in our walking field), but he also goes for the goose poop around the pond!  Yucky dog!   He's on a leash when we walk, so I've gotten very good at scouting things out ahead of time and leading him elsewhere.  I can also tell when his nose picks up the scent of poop rather than something else and insist we explore another area.
Deb and the wonderful memories of all the past fur kids I've known and loved.

Offline Andrea12065

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 02:41:42 PM »
Dogs are gross LOL  JK....I find the cat poop in the same spot in my yard so its like im cleaning two litter boxes, one inside and one outside lol..im so sick of it, and I found out its not even the stray pooping in my yard, its my neighbors cat!

Offline CamieDoll

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 11:31:38 PM »
All 5 of my doggies eat cat poop out of my litter boxes, I do my best to scoop mine EVERY TIME they go, but if im not in the room and its fresh they make it there before I smell it! if its your own cats poop and you know its healthy and doesnt have worms and things like that, as gross as it is, its not going to hurt your dog, but other cats poop could be an issue!! Its THE most disgusting thing any dogs can do, I am convinced!! Good Luck! you could also try something natural to stop your dog they have things on the market, I will try to post a link but if im not supposed to im sorry! Im not sure if i can but I just remembered this site that I found once that sold something to stop dogs from eating poop so here goes, again if im not supposed to post a link Im sorry! http://search.onlynaturalpet.com/search.aspx?searchterms=sep&click=5&9gtype=search&9gkw=Dog%20Eating%20Poop&9gad=7244998259&gclid=CKqy1-mDxKsCFUTBKgodpkuD4g
My Zoo: 5 Dogs (Tinkerbell, Isabella, Charming, Bailey and Rex), 3 Cats (Montessa, Sheppler and Bessy), 12 Rats (Princess AKA Peaches, Sophia, Ariel, Jasmine, Sampson, Delilah, Samantha, Tabitha, Mario, Luigi, Bowser, Wilbur!) I LOVE MY BABIES! <3
(RIP Matilda, Penelope, Mimi, Bowser and Yoshi)

Offline Andrea12065

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 12:31:24 AM »
i turned my litter box facing the wall so she cant get her head in it but the cat still can go in and use it. The strays are using my yard as a litter box, so I have to watch the dog closely..but now she likes to play and act like shes eating poop so ill yell at her (its a game to her lol) i told the vet and she said its nothing major as long as shes on a worm preventitive..(spelling lol) 

Offline gummidog

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 08:05:12 PM »
Oh wow - and I thought my dog was the only one who did that! Then again he had a habit of stealing the cat food when we weren't looking so...  :confused:

Offline Melissaratmama

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 08:10:21 PM »
My dog does the same thing, even though I was the one always saying "my dog will NEVER do that"...
Mom to : Percival the ferret, Maggie the dog, Sophie the kitten, and Gabby the cat. Holding memories of the many rats of my past ...

Offline lynne9698

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 11:49:04 AM »
my dog does the same thing.......one time my cat was pooping in the yard and my dog laid down under her butt and the cat alomost pooped right in her mouth..........I guess my dog wanted it fresh and u cant get much fresher then that.;....lmao!!

Offline Corpseflower

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 09:39:13 PM »
My shih-tzu does this too.  Only I can't help but crack up when he does it because one time my fiance caught him and yelled "That's not your damn candy bowl, Riley!" It was just hilarious!

Offline Radhika657

• Ritten
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 12:08:34 PM »
If it is once ok but do not let your dog to eat cat's poop regularly he will get sick.

Offline MomOfJixi

• Posts Too Much!
  • Life is better with love and laughter
    • Canine Training
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 02:10:29 PM »
Dogs are gross LOL  JK....I find the cat poop in the same spot in my yard so its like im cleaning two litter boxes, one inside and one outside lol..im so sick of it, and I found out its not even the stray pooping in my yard, its my neighbors cat!

Least the kitty is thoughtful and ony pooping in one spot lol the cats around here poop ALL over our yard
"Love is a rhythm, free the music inside" -me

Mom to: 4 doggie kids, 10 rattie kids, and one gorgeous human girl