Author Topic: Feeder Rats vs. Fancy Rats  (Read 1500 times)

Offline spacegrrl

Feeder Rats vs. Fancy Rats
« on: June 05, 2011, 01:22:03 AM »
I checked and didn't see a topic on this. I know feeder rats are essentially nothing more than fancy rats who have been designated as food. But, has anyone had one as a pet? While they've all been very sweet... I'm asking because not only have my feeder rats had better personalities, but they seem much more intelligent and aren't as hyper as the fancy rats I've had.

Maybe they know I rescued them from being food and are more grateful? Anybody had both, and seen different behaviors like this?

:heart:
Angels who have their wings now...  Ratties: Baby girl, Snowy, Rosie, Bella, Baby, Bella II, and Peaches...  Piggies: Germany, Giggles, and Bailey... Bunny: Sweetpea... Pooches: Midnight, Bullet, and Puppy dog... Fish: Swimmie, Blackie, and Puppy

Offline Wheeljack

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Feeder Rats vs. Fancy Rats
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 01:40:37 AM »
I think most of us have had both and there is no difference at all between the two for the most part. Temperament has varied between individuals obviously, but there is no inherent difference in a rat labeled as a 'feeder' or 'fancy' so no I've never seen any difference between the two groups and I doubt anyone else will say they will have either.

All of our pet rats are the same species; basically a price code at a store is all that differentiates most feeders from fancies.  They generally will come from the same mills and be treated the same up until the point of sale and you may even have some feeders and fancies in the same litter. They are all basically the same mill bred rats with the same potential temperament issues and activity levels.

Rats are intelligent animals, but they are not able to know that they were originally labeled for food so your theory is charming but probably not the case.

fwiw:  My very worst tempered rats ever were from feeder bins.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 01:43:21 AM by Wheeljack »

Offline BerkoKJ2

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 02:07:41 AM »
I have both and one of my 'feeders' acts like he hates me (I refuse to believe this, he's obviously just afraid because he's in love with me) the other one is bonding with me through his illness, but I'd say they're just more happy to have a big cage, free time, toys and good food every day than anything. One of my boys came from a rescue and the other was bred there where they had big cages and lots of good food and play time, and they act like spoiled brats.
If they're at all grateful it's probably just because they came from a bad place and feel better. And I had two boys that were children of feeder rats and had the absolute best temperaments and were completely loving but had the worst bodies. Not healthy at all.
And two breeder rats. One didn't like people at all, but wasn't aggressive he just never opened up and the other was my first  :heart: rat, he gave me a nice big scar on my finger the day we met.
But yeah, I'd say it's mostly background if they're happier but I'd expect more of them to be frightened or troubled unless you get them at babies. They're all so different though. Like I said one of my breeder rats who came from a very loving place just never really cared for people.
My current breeder boy is the smartest rat I've ever had. But I read recently in a rat book that rats who grow up with multiple rats grow larger brains, so maybe they are, but I think all rats are smart.

Offline RachsRatties

• Posts Too Much!
  • Be a hero. Adopt a Rat!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 02:50:35 AM »
As Wheeljack said there is no difference between the two. It is luck of he draw, who is prettier ends up in the pet bin and who isn't goes in the feeder bin. Usually it all depends on how the rat is socialized, some are more friendly than others to begin with but it really has nothing to do with "feeder" or "fancy".

Offline Eternal Dream

• Posts Too Much!
  • Kelly
    • Night Magic Cattery
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 07:57:08 AM »
The "fancy" rats that I got from Petsmart were horrid. While the feeder rats I used to get from other stores were for the most part friendly, minus one or two. I think in this case, snake food that's going to these smaller stores are more locally and thus small time breeders instead of larger mills that deal with Petsmart so there may be a little more interaction as young. That's my theory at least. My last ladies (and as of last night I am not more  :-[ ) were from a small hobby breeder who sold the litters at the store she worked at. They were such needy little girls, goodness!

Now waaay back, I thought I wanted to breed rats. I went out got some ladies and gents from a breeder, got them all registered with papers like I did with my cats, ect. I went to my local pet store in Montreal, they are a chain, but not as large as say Petco by any means. They said yes, they'll take my rats and pay me. I thought, perfect. I live in Quebec, I'm 14 or so (I can't remember exactly, something around there) and don't speak french so my options are limited and this looks like it would work out perfectly (boy was I not only wrong but stupid). Litter was born... I go back to the store when the babies are ready to go. They wanted papers on each rat which would have cost me I think the $15 for the litter than $2 per. On a 13 pup litter. They wouldn't pay me so basically I had to pay $40 for a store to make $260 for free just to sell them as fancy rats. Without the papers they said they would sell them as snake food. While they were 'fancy' rats... without papers they said they were going to sell them as food. That was my first and last litter if anyone was wondering. And no the babies came right back home with me and I kept them all until I found pet homes.

Offline XTwisted

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 10:02:52 AM »
Hmmm if my rat cost me $4.50 does he count as a feeder? xD
Not logging back on, no messages please.

And yes rats do bite - live with it and accept it. No need to get defensive about it.

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 11:17:38 AM »
My favourite rat was a feeder, that was my Dilbert, Bronwen was found outside but I am sure she was from teh feeder bin and a gentler creature you would never find, as well as Molly, Althea, and many many other rats I have owned.  There's no difference whatsoever if you buy from a petstore.  Sometimes if you get from a small feeder breeder sometimes you can run into a few more issues (aggression, fear, health)...they just breed willy nilly while I am sure the rat mills are trying for the more expensive and prettier "pet" rats to sell.

Offline icameasarat

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 11:22:14 AM »
feeder rats and "fancy" rats are often in the same litter (the black hoods go for feeders, whereas the blue hoods go as "fancy") so yeah, no difference at all :) if there is a actual FEEDER LINE from a herp owner selling specifically for eating purposes, and he/she has been doing so awhile, they may have selectively bred them to grow larger than some breeder rats, but thats about it.

Offline TGQ

• Posts Too Much!
    • Plague Rat Relics
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 11:58:13 AM »
I had this girl swearing to me that feeder rats and fancy rats were a different breed xD. She told me she owned feeder rats and they were 10x bigger than her sister's fancy rats. I kept trying to explain genetics, and that fancy rats were bred to be designated sizes to appeal to people and appealing colors, whereas feeders would just be whatever, and were sold by size. She was still convinced they were a different breed of rat.
My rat children:  Storm, Weetzie, Dirk & Duck

Rest in Peace Echo, Skye, and Murdock

Offline TGQ

• Posts Too Much!
    • Plague Rat Relics
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 12:02:49 PM »
Oops. I hit quote instead of modify  :doh:

I added on:

Oh, and I've met some feeders with quite different personalities. My girlfriend's first rats were feeders, and one was the sweetest thing. The other is a bit crazy, but we still love her.
Feeders and fancy rats are actually the same rats at places like Petland. If a rat doesn't get sold as a pet fast enough it goes as a feeder. My friend's rat comes from there, as a "fancy rat" and she's very skittish, but I think it is most likely the result of the store she came from and her genetics.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 12:04:25 PM by TGQ »
My rat children:  Storm, Weetzie, Dirk & Duck

Rest in Peace Echo, Skye, and Murdock

Offline PrincessPooface

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 12:03:22 PM »
I have both and one of my 'feeders' acts like he hates me (I refuse to believe this, he's obviously just afraid because he's in love with me)
:yelcutelaugh:

Offline Miss Vicky

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 02:57:24 PM »
I've had both "feeders" and "fancies" and if you're buying from a pet store, there's not a scrap of difference between them - except their color and price.

I've had some "feeders" who were incredibly loving and gentle and some that either very skittish or very aggressive.
I've had the same experience with "fancy" rats.

Pet store rats are pet store rats, no matter what label the store gives them. They all come from the same terrible lines and the same terrible conditions. 

Offline CharlieRat

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 03:00:22 PM »
I doubt there is a difference personality-wise, since they basically all come from huge-scale mills. (Unless of course you bought from a breeder, in which case, good.) The only difference, I'd say, is that the fancies get a little bit of socialization where the feeders get none. I know in Petsmart, the employees stick their hands in every once in awhile to touch them but not very long.

One time, I went in Petco, & they put one of their female Feeders as an adoption because she lost her eye in a fight. I wanted her SO BAD. But unfortunately, I have two many girls coming my way at the moment & I couldn't take her. I hope she found a good home.

Offline Sorraia

• Posts Too Much!
    • Confessions of a Rat Breeder
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 05:45:23 PM »
Feeder rats ARE fancy rats. In fact, if you buy them at a pet store they are probably from the SAME litters even. Often the feeder rats are the ones considered "not pretty" or otherwise won't sell as quickly or for as much if offered as pets only. Any differences you notice between the "feeder" rats and "fancy" or "pet" rats is due to individual differences.
NOM-ology A study in rat nutrition.
http://nom-ology.blogspot.com

Confessions of a Rat Breeder
http://bwr-rats.blogspot.com/

Offline ASkelton

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 07:38:32 PM »
All the rats I have ever owned have been feeders! I say about 90% of them have turned out to be wonderful pets, some were just horrid. Chewie, Lil Miss, Puffin and Meeko are all feeders, and they are super sweet!

I work at a pet store and I can say most of the feeders we get are very shy, jumpy, skittish and will bite. We also get rat pups in (I got Puffin as a rat pup, Chewie as a small rat), and they are super cute and can turn into great pets! The other sizes take time.....
Ratties:Chewbacca(Chewie),Lil Miss & her 21 babies,Puffin,Meeko.
Cats:Lardo Bibardo Fee Fii Ferardo,ButtScratch,Peter FluffyTail.
Hamsters:Sunshyne and Sunfire.
Proud Army Wife of a 13M and Momma to Tristan Aries <3