Author Topic: need advice my cat cut his foot  (Read 1199 times)

Offline crazychelss

• <3 my ratties
need advice my cat cut his foot
« on: June 09, 2011, 02:55:25 PM »
I just got home today and my poor baby kitty was bleeding on his back foot after more investigating it looks like somehow he cut into a part of his paw my his nails. I tried to clean it out but he wont let me do it as well as id like. It doesnt seem to bad and isnt affecting him. Should i someone bandaged it or put anything on it. I went through my whole apt and i cant seem to find what he cut it on. He is strictly an indoor cat as well. Any advice on what to do for him?
~Mother of Rats: Mi's, Miko, Lave, & Cassanova, Dogs: Bey & Riza, Cats: Kyo & Ezio~

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
Re: need advice my cat cut his foot
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 04:16:53 PM »
I would put new litter in the cat box to reduce the possibility of getting bacteria from that. Cats are pretty good at keeping their wounds in order. I would check it regularly for swelling, redness, feels hot, odor or continual bleeding. If the cat starts to limp or favor the foot take it to the vet.

I have no idea sometimes how cats get hurt. My cats are indoor only when I only had one cat she hurt her front leg really bad, no bleeding, just went lame. The only thing I can figure is she got her foot caught somewhere. One of my other cats legs slipped into the spot between the mattress and footboard when he was jumping off the bed. That was bad enough I took him to the e-vet when it happened. Fortunately they were awesome and didnt charge me for checking it manually to see if it was broken.

I havent had a cat get cut but I have some counter surfers and have to keep the knives out of the way when they are waiting to be washed. I have a particular cat that has a thing for scissors. I am scared that someone is going to leave a pair out and he is going to knock a pair off the counter into one of the other cats.  :eek:

Offline crazychelss

• <3 my ratties
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 05:06:51 PM »
Thanks so much on the litter tip i didnt even think about that. I know i have 2 cats and of course its my crazy wild one that got hurt he does like the counter and we had dishes in the sink but i checked and no knives and not to mention my fiance was home the whole time had no idea and when i asked he was like ugh i dont know i didnt notice anything. Typical guy! lol :yelcutelaugh: I feel bad hes my baby but he seems fine so i will just be sure to check it alot.
~Mother of Rats: Mi's, Miko, Lave, & Cassanova, Dogs: Bey & Riza, Cats: Kyo & Ezio~

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 10:18:05 PM »
I havent had a cat get cut but I have some counter surfers and have to keep the knives out of the way when they are waiting to be washed. I have a particular cat that has a thing for scissors. I am scared that someone is going to leave a pair out and he is going to knock a pair off the counter into one of the other cats.  :eek:

I totally know what you mean!  It's a long story but one of my biggest fears in general is that (okay, I JUST have one cat right NOW, but in the past) has been that one would jump onto a counter, surface, knock off something else...like SHARP things, into the other.  Try as I might, we still had a couple of crazy close calls!

I had this one rat who snapped her femur (thigh bone) off right at the head of the ball joint.  I will tell you that to this day, I REALLY don't know how it happened.  I could give some random possiblities, but given the cage, set up, etc...I don't think any were very likely!  I even thought that MAYBE she was hanging onto something when I took her out of the cage and it snapped her leg...but I REALLY don't think I could have missed her pain response, held her and played with her, and stuffed her back in without knowing!  (Just in case you wondered...they couldn't insert a pin, etc... surgically because of the area of the break...and oddly enough, it healed quite wonderfully on it's own...so after a week or two of metacam and no climbing, she got around WONDERFULLY.  It was really quite miraculous, as I was afraid I'd have to have her put to sleep).  Point being...be the best cat daddy/mommy you can, and don't sweat the rest!

If it doesn't seem to be closing up well, a vet might well need to do a more thorough debrieding (sp?) and might use some of the adhesive stuff (it's sorta like superglue).  I had...an...ACCIDENT trimming nails one time that was pretty bad, and they had to glue zippy's toe pad.  Worked great!

Best of luck, Raaz.

Offline crazychelss

• <3 my ratties
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 10:39:20 PM »
Thanks all he seems just fine but he has since i saw it i watched him clean it all yesterday and the bleeding stopped so i think we are good! I just felt so bad his daddy didn't pay attention while he was there all day lol :doh:. Luckily he knows I am a good mom lol he cuddled up to me that whole day trying to be babied and of course it worked.  :D His such a dare devil though so it doesn't suprise me it happened or that it didnt phase him. I think the culprite was this metal desk i havent put together yet he seems to play around it alot so now i need to get that set up so we have no more accidents.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 12:06:05 AM »
"Stuff" happens.  Um...yeah.

Daddy...he needs a...spanking. 

But, sure, I know.  You can't BELIEVE how bad I felt when I snipped right through my girl's pad.  I took her into the ER vet half sure they'd take her away from me!  Turns out they thought I was a little overcautious and it worked out fine.  But I know when I told my own vet, I still thought they'd think I was awful.

As a kid, our ONE indoor-outdoor stud boy would come home with all kinds of injuries.  We had plenty of hyrdrogen peroxide and all worked out fine.  Funny, I'd probably FAINT now if I saw the same things.  But, we're much more sensitive pals to our critter friends, now.   ;D

I think my vet would prefer that I was a LESS concerned daddy, but they put up with me, all the same.   ::)

Just keep an eye on it.  If swelling INCREASES or if you AT ALL smell anything bad, or if anything oozes.  Yes, go to the vet right away!  Cats are smaller creatures and infection can spread pretty fast.  But just think, did you ever have a big ass cut you MAYBE should have gone to the doc for but it healed up fine?  As long as it continues to progress in a positive manner, not so much the worry.  I'd keep up on the litter, though.  Esp. if you use scooping litter,  it can harbor a lot of bacteria even if you only have to change it every two weeks or more.  So go ahead and change it completely every few days and scoop the heck out of it.  (I know that with my ONE kitty, now, I only have to scoop once a day at most...but if she had something like that going on I'd check three times a day at least and still change every 4-5 days to be safe...that's just me.  Maybe more or less, what can I say?!  She only pees about twice a day).

Best,

Raaz.