Author Topic: Rabbits and Rats??  (Read 4134 times)

Offline kukupecpec

Rabbits and Rats??
« on: June 13, 2011, 08:17:59 PM »
Hey there!

Ok so I have a rat. He's a sweetie and we are shopping around for a buddy for him after his cage mates died.
But - My husband REALLY wants to get a bunny rabbit. Do rats and rabbits do well together? I know a number of rat owners also own rabbits so I was hoping one of those people could give me a little insight. It would be a while before we adopt a bunny, lots of research to do about care and cost etc, but this is the most important question to us.
I am wondering if they can play together, be housed together, or be buddies instead of having a cagemate of the same species.

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks =)

Offline htsr4

Re: Rabbits and Rats??
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 11:00:03 PM »
They have different nutritional needs, different cage needs and a rabbit could easily injure or kill a rat. So no they cant be housed together or even play together. 

Offline Sorraia

• Posts Too Much!
    • Confessions of a Rat Breeder
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 12:44:39 PM »
As the prior reply said, their needs are so different they should not be housed together. Honestly, having both rats and rabbits, I would NOT let them play together either. Rabbits and rats don't speak the same language, and one or the other can easily be injured or even killed (most likely the rat, due to smaller size). In rare circumstances it might work out (aside from different biological needs), but I wouldn't take the risk and try it.
NOM-ology A study in rat nutrition.
http://nom-ology.blogspot.com

Confessions of a Rat Breeder
http://bwr-rats.blogspot.com/

Offline Rattology

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 08:28:07 PM »
my rats chase my rabbit, but she seems to have fun with them

Offline kerri.howard

• Posts Too Much!
  • lap rats, Pete and Ross.
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 11:06:27 AM »
I don't leave my rabbit out with the rats unsupervised, and certainly wouldn't house them together, but I do let them play together and they do just fine. I don't think the rabbit would hurt the rats on purpose, but he is about 5x their size so I don't risk it.
Currently enjoying the company of Daario, Zuca, Groot, Rachel, Phoebe, Einstein, Breadstick, and Charlie.