Author Topic: Video of How *I* Syringe Meds into My Rats  (Read 3311 times)

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
Video of How *I* Syringe Meds into My Rats
« on: June 15, 2011, 09:54:48 PM »
It is so hard to describe how you medicate rats to people having issues...its hard to get the concept unless you see it for the most part, so since my friend was here I got her to video me medicating Linnet.    :thumbsup2:  The only thing I missed was to keep their hind feet firmly on your lap for added security.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-_bFMkutKk

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
Re: Video of How *I* Syringe Meds into My Rats
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 10:02:33 PM »
Remarkably similar to how I do it, I just have a second pair of hands  ;D  I bookmarked it so I can share the link with others when it comes up.  I'm sure many will find this very very helpful.

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 10:10:56 PM »
I think it was good that Linnet was a squirmy little beast not just an easy docile rat. :)  My damn hair covered the shot at one part though  :doh:

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 10:15:43 PM »
Yup definitely a good "example" rat  :thumbsup2:  It was enough to give everyone the idea despite the hair, don't worry about that.  I wish I'd of had the video and didn't have to learn by trial and error LOL!

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 10:42:54 PM »
That's pretty much how I do it, too! They're so difficult, lol. I always have to brace their back against my stomach to get it in.

Offline MollyElizbeth

• Posts Too Much!
  • Baby Ratty!
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 10:49:42 PM »
Wow that looks so easy lol.  We are always mixing the meds with stuff and with some rats it takes over an hour to get them to eat it! 

I've heard if you force syringe medicine they can block their throat or something and the meds won't go down or they will choke?  Is this not true or does your method prevent that?

Offline Violet976

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ignorance killed the cat. Curiosity was framed...
    • The Rat Stash
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 12:50:46 AM »
@ Molly: You have to aim the syringe to the side, not towards their throat. I made that mistake with my former boy Elwood & the poor thing ended up in an emergency visit. He made it, but the poor thing was in bad shape.

@ Shelagh... only you could make it look that easy.  ::)

Offline Tabirch

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 01:11:38 AM »
lilspaz68, you are a pro!
“The whole idea of compassion is based on a keen awareness of the interdependence of all these living beings, which are all part of one another, and all involved in one another.”  - Thomas Merton, O.C.S.O.

Offline Hippidy

• Posts Too Much!
  • aka Christy
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 02:08:41 AM »
I never thought to do it that way! Maybe I will see if Oliver will take his this way. It would make his diet work better if i didn't have to feed him apple sauce 2x daily  ;)

Offline THScam2009

• Little Dreamers Emporium
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 03:12:56 AM »
Remarkably similar to how I do it, I just have a second pair of hands  ;D  I bookmarked it so I can share the link with others when it comes up.  I'm sure many will find this very very helpful.

Very helpful video Lilspaz! Thank you so much!!!

Smesyna, it's funny you do that because last night, I wrote a 3 page document on word (because there isn't an automatic spell check on here) for a thread about socializing rats and I saved it because I think I have answered that question like.... 59845895 times on here! LOL!

<br>

Offline maesie

• Posts Too Much!
  • 100% Aussi
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 08:41:33 AM »
THANKS!!! Great idea. I usually use the general holding position you do but not the finger positions and swapping...

Offline Deblee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 09:17:20 AM »
Great video. Thanks Shelagh, you rock!

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 09:46:32 AM »
THANKS!!! Great idea. I usually use the general holding position you do but not the finger positions and swapping...

It just gives you a bit more control...if you have a struggler, just wait until they stop and "give up" for a bit.  I sometimes will just let go and pat them until they are calmer and then try again.

Offline Hippidy

• Posts Too Much!
  • aka Christy
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 12:02:22 AM »
omg I tried this in the morning and this night and it's amazing how I can give Oliver meds now!!! It will be so much better for his weight to do the meds this way, especially since he's on lifetime meds. Thank you thank you thank you!!!!  :thumbsup2:

They should sticky this!

Offline Kobayashi

• Deviantart
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 12:08:47 AM »
Holy moly thanks for posting this! My boys squirm and squirm so I end up wrapping them in a towel and even then it's so hard to get them to take it!
I'm definitely trying this!!!
Good things come to those who do the wave.

Offline Chaosbadgerling

• Posts Too Much!
  • Currently ratless
    • Aywas
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 07:36:05 AM »
And if you have a larger chunkier rat *coff* Mistral *coff* sometimes its easier to tuck them between your arm and your belly. 

And it made me  :yelcutelaugh: because Yarsi struggles so much much like your girl. 

I find that sometimes you may need to give half a dose, make sure that they swallow then give the rest.  Mab (rip) was a bugger for not swallowing and spitting out the meds  :doh:

Offline mischiefmommy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 05:06:16 PM »
If I can avoid forcing them I do.
So far the things I've found that most of my rats want are
-Fruit Medley baby food by Gerber (almost never rejected)
-Nutrical (fatty, but good for old sickies)
-Cream cheese
-GREEK yogurt. Damned if I know why they prefer the greek yogurt, but mine really do. Yogurt should be a last ditch effort, because it can lower the effectiveness of some antibiotics.

For absolutely last ditch (like when I have rats with respiratory so bad that force medding them gives them horrible attacks) a bit of agave or whipped cream may push any of the above over into nummy, or a mix of butter and sugar. You mix the butter and sugar until when you try it you just want to eat spoonfulls of it forever, it should be very tasty. I've even done butter, sugar and whipped cream  :eek:

For not so ill, but very stubborn, Lilspaz's method is very effective! Also works for nail clipping, though I've found that if you trap one hand while you do the other, they sometimes forget how to struggle

Offline liza

• Posts Too Much!
  • once upon a time my heart got stolen by rats
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2011, 11:07:40 AM »
:-) Neat video! Thank you lilspaz!

What I also do with those who don't want to take their meds (my Suzie): I leave her where she is (generally in the hammock). I put my hand in the hammock and hold her from the side (my thumb by her belly, the rest of my fingers on her back/bottom). I put the syringe into her mouth sideways (VERY IMPORTANT!!!) and squeeze the syringe. Very fast, done. Right now, she knows what is coming when I pick her up so I have to change the routine of giving meds. When it happens in an unpredictable way to them, it's much easier to administer meds. I don't want her to think every time she gets picked up, sometime nasty is going to happen (=meds). All our other meds kids take their meds from a spoon mixed with baby soy formula or directly from the syringe (willingly).

Where was this video a few years ago when I needed it?  :yelcutelaugh: This is very helpful for so many on here! Thank you for posting this!
Currently owned by Jasper,Gopher,Anabelle+Anastasia,Donut+Vivian+Franklin+Guido+Round1+Round2 babies, Dot+Orca,Marie+Rene+Nicola,Libbie,Annie,Melanie+Espresso (rats).Velvet+Dancer (bunnies).Porcellina+Skunk (pigs).Cercira (hamster) and Bandit (dog).
Our angels in heaven, we will always love you!

Offline kerri.howard

• Posts Too Much!
  • lap rats, Pete and Ross.
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2011, 02:28:49 PM »
Do any of you guys have some rats that you have to med while they're sleepy? My loner rat with chronic resp issues will NOT  take meds if I try to get him when he's wide awake (he never bites, but he'll bite then). But if I snag him while he's asleep before he can realize what's happening.... no problem!

(and I do it just like you do, too!)
Miss you, Chico Chicho Chícharro, Fred, Marley, Ross, Pete, Stew, Des, Ratt, Pan, Percy, Syph, Tabouli, Keras, Opal, Rupaul, Boy George, Luna, Henry, and Brownie!

Offline Frequently Not On Boats

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2011, 02:40:05 PM »
You make it look so easy! Thanks for sharing, I've always relied on the, mix it with food they like method.

Offline kerri.howard

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2011, 02:59:43 PM »
I think it depends on the med and the rat. And the size of the dose. Baytril I think is the hardest-- that stuff is AWFUL (and yes, I tasted a bit. it's gross). My old man George, rest his little soul, was the master of holding a dose of anything in his mouth... for MINUTES. I'd hold him up, talk to him, kind of rub his throat to try to coax him into swallowing... but 10 minutes later when I put him down, he'd just spit it out all over the floor and wipe his face on everything....
Miss you, Chico Chicho Chícharro, Fred, Marley, Ross, Pete, Stew, Des, Ratt, Pan, Percy, Syph, Tabouli, Keras, Opal, Rupaul, Boy George, Luna, Henry, and Brownie!

Offline Chelsea

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Blog
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2011, 03:00:42 PM »
If I can avoid forcing them I do.
So far the things I've found that most of my rats want are
-Fruit Medley baby food by Gerber (almost never rejected)
-Nutrical (fatty, but good for old sickies)
-Cream cheese
-GREEK yogurt. Damned if I know why they prefer the greek yogurt, but mine really do. Yogurt should be a last ditch effort, because it can lower the effectiveness of some antibiotics.

Why should yogurt lower the effectiveness of the antibiotic? I've been told it goes the other way around - because yogurt is a probiotic, the meds kill all of the good bacteria in the yogurt. My vet told me not only that I could offer them the medication mixed with the yogurt, to make them take it, but alternatively I could wait about 2 hours to give them yogurt to boost the good bacteria in their system and help them fight off their illness.

Anyway, that video is good :) Thankfully I haven't had to force meds that often, and when I did, I did it that way. Lucky Mishka got really fancy medication that was flavored and everything and he LOVED taking it, haha.

@Liza that is a good idea, haha!

♡ 2010-2013 | rip Luca, Louie, Toph,
 and my best friends, Mishka & Willow ♡

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2011, 03:07:15 PM »
The probiotic yogurt can render some antibiotics ineffective when given around the same time, like doxycyline which binds to the calcium.  It's just best to give it 2 hours before or after any antibiotics.

Offline kerri.howard

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2011, 03:27:22 PM »
Yeah and isn't baytril rendered ineffective by calcium if given together / too close?

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2011, 03:30:09 PM »
Yeah and isn't baytril rendered ineffective by calcium if given together / too close?

I have heard people say baytril as well shouldn't be given with dairy, not exactly sure if its just a rolling assumption or a known fact (kinda like baytril will stunt the growth of a young rat, which is assumed, because it is only proven in puppies).