Author Topic: Kirby the rabbit  (Read 15133 times)

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
Re: Kirby the rabbit
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2010, 03:59:44 PM »
Lol @ the mouth close-up 8)

:heart: english spots. There was a pair at Petco (from a foster home, not a farm) and I fell in love with one... She stood up on her hind legs and licked/nibbled my fingers through the ventilation holes at the top of her cage  :heart: :heart: :heart:

I knew I couldn't get her though, so there was no hope... sniff.

I honestly didn't even know of the term 'English spot' but I googled it and wow...that must be what she is! I didn't know she had a name for what she was. Do you know if all english spots have rex fur? Is that a standard among them?

Oh, she is GORGEOUS! :heart:  My bunny passed away over the summer.  She was a flemmish giant.  I have been considering getting a mini rex.  Is Kirby a standard or a mini?  What do you think of the personality?

Aw, sorry about your flemmie. :(
I don't know too much about what she really is. Apparently an english spot it looks like--as I just learned! I think she is beyond the 'mini' mark. When she was at the vet a few months ago she was about 5.5lbs and she could be up to 6lbs right now. I'm sure she'd look tiny to you after being used to a flemmish giant!
As far as her personality... she is such a love! She is always looking for attention (or food... :P) and runs right up to the wall of her pen when I or anyone else comes in the room. She runs up to me when she is out and licks me wherever she can. She does not like being picked up but that isn't her fault, I didn't do it enough when she was young. She does have a shy cautious side but that only comes out if I slide something across the floor (that's a scary noise for some reason), make other noise or pet her rump because she doesn't like that near her tail. She has never shown any aggression or territorial problems.
She is my first bunny and I am really surprised about how she is. She is just so sweet and loving! :heart:

Offline Nat Loves Rats

• Posts Too Much!
  • My sweethearts, Alice and Rosalie <333
    • Rat Love
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2010, 05:33:07 PM »
Glad I could help :) You can recognize spotties by the dots by their noses and the stripe down their back. Plus lots of... SPOTS! Hehe

That is one of the few markings/breeds I know (of rabbits)  ::)

Offline Boondocksgirl

• Yoda rules
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2010, 11:05:20 PM »
May I ask how you made her little pen? I love it and it actually looks doable. So how much did it cost and how did you do it?
I have shared my home with many animals through the years and loved each one :)

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2010, 10:40:22 PM »
May I ask how you made her little pen? I love it and it actually looks doable. So how much did it cost and how did you do it?

I used these storage cubes from Bed Bath and Beyond... Target has them too but the back panels have a larger grid that can be dangerous since a bunny could fit it's head through. You could make a good size pen with two packs.

For the floor I bought two hardboard panels that are about 2' x 4' ($5 each) and covered them with sticky backed linoleum tiles... I think 8 for each panel at something like $0.35 each. The whole cage was under $60 which is wayyyy cheaper than anything store bought and way bigger than anything else I could have purchased. I have moved things around numerous times but I am happy with it.

The floor panels overlap in the center and I have the base of an old guinea pig cage at one end that I keep her litter box in as well as other messy stuff like phone books for tearing up or sea grass mats from busybunny.com. I bought a wire basket meant for bathroom storage at Ikea and zip tied that to the cage wall over the litter box to hold hay. I always keep a fleece blanket tucked under the floor panel edges of the opposite side because she gets better traction on that. There is also a 16" x 16" ceramic tile in there for her to lay on in case she is too warm.

The shelf panels are all just zip tied together except for the 'door' which I clip shut with binder clips. I only have her enclosure 2 panels high and she has never been able to jump out but I have heard of rabbits figuring it out. I have a good picture of the whole thing that I took recently that I will get on here when I am back home from visiting my parents!

Offline htsr4

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2010, 11:27:21 PM »
OMG. She is soo cute. I love all the pictures.

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2011, 12:04:44 PM »
Heyyy.
I just realized how long it's been since you've posted pictures of Kirby!
(Or Asha...)

I miss seeing them.  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline Cari

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2011, 04:41:44 PM »
What a fantastic cage setup!!!

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2011, 11:16:34 PM »
What a fantastic cage setup!!!

Thank you! It has been through a few "remodels" (the beauty of this type of cage!!!). She actually ended up escaping one day a while back to visit my old roommate in her room--quite a surprise for her. I suspect she jumped out from the top shelf area. I made the walls higher on that side for a while but I hated it looking uneven (lol) and couldn't reach over some parts of it, making cleaning hard. I couldn't put up a roof because when I tried it, my boyfriend's crazy cat (Asha) walked across the top and I was worried it would cave in. And you can't have any closed doors with cats or else they will meow and dig until it is opened... so that wasn't an option either. I ended up taking the shelf out, moving it to the other corner of the room (away from the bed, potentially dangerous kitty-entry point) and adding some panels to the pen to make it a bit bigger. I made it fit around the base of an old cage I had used for my senior rat boys which helps contain a lot of her hay mess.

My biggest problem I need to solve is that Kirby sometimes gets inside of her hay bin because of that side is open. She poops in it but the biggest thing I am worried about is a leg getting caught on her way out (especially if the hay is low!). I would also like to figure out a new type of flooring that has good traction but I can't think of anything that she wouldn't eat (or is at least okay if she eats it) or that she can ruin by digging (the fate of all fleece blankets). I use woven seagrass mats in the cage pan portion for traction. The Busy Bunny shop sells some that fit in there perfectly. She ends up eating them to bits in a month or so.

Offline evilhobbitgirl

• Posts Too Much!
  • ratless
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2011, 11:43:53 PM »
Heyyy.
I just realized how long it's been since you've posted pictures of Kirby!
(Or Asha...)

I miss seeing them.  :yelcutelaugh:

You may have just gotten yourself an Asha update by saying that. :cheeky: I haven't taken any recent Kirby pictures though.

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2011, 10:45:25 AM »

You may have just gotten yourself an Asha update by saying that. :cheeky:

Ono, I'm so bitterly disappointed by this news!  :cheeky:
Is the bottom of the rat-cage you are using to contain the hay a Machioro? It looks just like the base to my old Machioro...

I see what you mean about the traction. We had little indoor/outdoor mats for our house-bunny, but Daisy didn't chew (well, not the mats anyway. Bean bag chairs and EVERY stuffed animal though...).
But, I don't imagine you could do the same for Kirby. I can't imagine that plastic being good.

As far as the hay bin, maybe you could cut a "lid" out of some hardware clothe, and just bend the edges down to where ever the current hay-level is in the mornings?