Author Topic: Barn Cat Help  (Read 672 times)

Offline smilez_n_hugs

Barn Cat Help
« on: July 03, 2011, 01:52:29 AM »
I live in a very rural area and my family has a small hobby farm. So of course with a barn comes barn cats. My family has no issues feeding them and even adopting a few here and there but recently the number is a bit out of control (with all the kittens) so we are looking for solutions to keep the numbers down. Alright this might sound crazy but here it is....my Grandmother swears she used to get something to sprinkle on their food or buy food with something in it to keep them from reproducing. Has anyone heard of this?

Offline DazzleMe

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Show Up For Life
    • Dazzle Me Rattery
Re: Barn Cat Help
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 04:06:31 AM »
No. That would be too easy and in heavy use if it were true. They need to be trapped and spayed and neutered. Start with the adults and work your way down to the young ones. It may seem like a daunting task right now with all the new kittens, but you've gotta start otherwise it will get worse. Sometimes you can find spay and neuter clinics that will do low cost or free for ferals that are brought in a live trap.

http://www.alleycat.org/Trap-Neuter-Return

http://www.alleycatadvocates.org/

-Melina & Crew

Offline smilez_n_hugs

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 12:01:28 PM »
That's what I assumed but it never hurts to ask. As of yet I have had no luck finding a TNR program close enough to be an option but I will keep looking.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 02:37:44 PM »
Contact the nearest humane society.  They might work something out with you, or know a vet who will.  Good luck!

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 10:15:11 AM »
When you bring in a bunch at once you can often get a discount.  Also, while it is important to get all of them done, I'd probably start with the females.