Author Topic: little kitten... needs help in CT  (Read 692 times)

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
little kitten... needs help in CT
« on: July 09, 2011, 08:37:41 AM »
So there is this stray in my backyard. She's probably about 8 to 10 weeks old based on her size though she may just be malnurished.  She's actually very friendly for a stray.. Skinny though, matted in places, and flea ridden... I can't take her in due to having 4 already and landlord restrictions on more.  I have two questions..

1)  does anyone know of any low cost or stray programs for getting a kitten vaccinated and spayed in the northwestern part of ct? I don't have the funds to do so myself without any assistance as I don't want to break into my pet's vet fund.

2) I have advantage for my adult cats over nine lbs. Is there anyway I can use a smaller dose for the kitten to at least take care of the fleas on her?

Oh, I guess I have three (and will post this as well in the adoption thread)

Does anyone in the northwestern part of CT want a kitten?
Love the Creatures. Love the baby. Love the life.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
Re: little kitten... needs help in CT
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 10:40:46 PM »
I know nothing about CT, but I am sending good vibes to your poor sweeties.  Feed them for now, if you can.  I will let the rest of the folks say what else to do...I'm not the brightest about rescue stuff.

Best,

:heart: Raaz.

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 11:22:54 PM »

For wee kittens, I prefer using dishsoap to flea meds.  Flea meds can be tough on babies- they tend not to handle toxins as well and the chance of overdose is greater.  Get some regular blue Dawn dish soap and a flea comb and have at her.  Soap the head first so the fleas run towards her body and that can be thoroughly soaped to get all the nasty little buggers.  Rinse with wild abandon to get it all back out of her coat, and then comb out any straggler bugs you can find.  Rubbing alcohol works well for killing fleas you pick up on your comb.  Comb for fleas as often as you can, and she'll be flea free before you know it.  It may not work as quickly as flea meds, but if your cats are all on preventative, it shouldn't be a problem.

For low cost s/n programs, call up your local animal shelters and ask.  They should be able to lay out all your options.  Or look up Petfinder for cat rescues in your area.  I'm sure they know where to go for affordable snipping.

Good luck!

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 06:50:14 PM »
None are very close (most of the state's spay/neuter programs are near the poorer cities like bridgeport, new britain, hartford, etc), but here is what I know of and have found.

There is H.O.P.E in centralish CT (waterbury).

Help For Pets
Danbury, CT
203-792-1477

Statewide Veterinary Clinic
Torrington, CT
860-496-1006
888-613-2034 toll free
Also offers free one-way transportation for the cat (to or from Torrington).

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 05:23:48 PM »
oh, sorry, I didn't realize that you responded to this (forever a go) for some reason I am not getting email notifications....

Since posting this, Little Kitten has been seen periodically but has not allowed any of us to get close enough to her to catch. Plus the Diver dog managed to tree her a week or two ago and she's kept clear of us since then.

I actually live very close to both waterbury and torrington so thank you for those contacts.. if we manage to catch her I will be contacting one or both of those organizations.

Love the Creatures. Love the baby. Love the life.