Author Topic: /NEEDED/: Double CN in Milwaukee/Chicago area, please help!  (Read 660 times)

Offline Chelsea

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Blog
We are in a situation right now where we've realized that the cages I originally bought for my rats are unsafe. I feel like a bumbling idiot but in all honesty there was no way I could have known beforehand. I chose the cages because they're of adequate size, came with accessories, and even a shelving system to store them on. However, they're not designed for small mammals, but birds. I had no idea that the cages I bought were designed in such a way that the cut ends of each wire were exposed.

Today, Louie, who is housed alone and could not have sustained injuries from another rat, got a cut on his eye from trying to force the doors open. Since the doors open vertically and are lightweight, this is relatively simple for him to do, and he knows that. None of the boys have ever escaped from the cages - it would be too difficult for them to lift and sneak out at the same time - however I'm positive that this is how Louie got the cut on his eye. It's too big to be a scratch from his claws, and he also trims his own nails.

Also, Mishka also got a minor cut that healed without incident after a few days by getting his toe stuck in the joint where the two sides of the cage meet. After it happened we tried to "baby-proof" the cages as much as possible, we taped all of the corners where their toes could get caught, and we were looking for new cages in the meantime - but there's only so much we can do to modify a bad cage. It's urgent that we find a GOOD one. I do NOT want to keep them housed in these cages and I'm not going to buy some piece of crap overpriced cages from Petsmart - I want the real deal for them. No more mucking around with off-brands, I want a cage that I know is designed FOR my boys.

I'm posting here first because, not only is it a good idea to reuse stuff and I don't want to pay shipping, I was hoping that someone would have a CN at a more doable price. We can afford to buy a new one if we *have* to as we're moving and don't have rent for two months now, but um... to put my situation in perspective, we just got approved for foodshare (food stamps in WI). I manage to have money set aside for most vet expenditures and have adequate food and such available for my boys at all times, but spending $300+ shipping on cages... well, it's an area I'd prefer to save money in if I can, especially considering that Lucien still needs to be neutered (150$ at my vet's office). 

Please just know that I understand the differences between construction in cages now and I won't ever buy a cage meant for another species again. I'm absolutely heartbroken that my poor boys - more than one - had to pay for my lack of knowledge. And I DID research many types of cages, I posted about it on GooseMoose, before I bought these cages. I truly thought they were the best option. Now I'm just doing what I can with this unfortunate situation.

Please please please let me know if there is any way you can help. I live in Milwaukee but will be willing to drive as far as the Chicago area in any direction to get these cages if you have some. Or if you know a place that sells CNs cheap-ish, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

♡ 2010-2013 | rip Luca, Louie, Toph,
 and my best friends, Mishka & Willow ♡

Offline Macie_and_Emma

• Posts Too Much!
Re: /NEEDED/: Double CN in Milwaukee/Chicago area, please help!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 08:33:35 AM »
I've got a Martins cage if you'd be interested... it's in used but good condition, around the bottom corners and lower door the powder coating has chipped, but it doesn't affect its function in the least bit.  I've heard of some people re-painting them pretty easily if you'd want to, though I never found it necessary.  It's the bottom half of a Ruud (technically an r695), powder coated, put together with zip ties.  I think it can hold around around 5 males quite comfortably (I'll have to break out the trusty cage calculator to double check, or someone feel free to correct me).  Not sure if you're looking for a CN specifically or just any rat-safe cage, but this one is definitely rat appropriate. 

I dont live far from Milwaukee at all (Waukesha area), you're welcome to even come look at the cage if you're curious, or I can try to get good pictures.  Just send a PM if you might be interested.   ;)

Offline Chelsea

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 01:30:43 PM »
Hmm, it depends. How much would you be asking for it? Does it make much noise? I ask because our current cages are held together with zipties and they rattle constantly, although the wire is extremely flimsy which is probably a factor, it looks like that is pretty sturdy. Can you take it apart to put liners on the wire, or does it all have to be done through the doors?

The reals reason I'm looking for the CN are two things - one, that the CN sections can be opened up or shut off, which I'd like because I want Louie to eventually be able to live with the others although he can't now (it would just make it easier to have stacking cages since we live in a small apartment). Two, the doors are much bigger which would make access to the whole cage for decorating and such really easy, although it's not a necessity. It looks like the Martins has relatively small doors, which is fine if there's a way to clamp down liners on the two floors, that's really my biggest concern. If you can line it section off the top floor it's almost definitely something we'd be interested in though, I don't want to be *too* picky if I can get them a new cage faster.

Offline Macie_and_Emma

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 05:35:43 PM »
So... I do also have a double CN that I bought last year, it was only used for about 5 months before I took it down and stored it so it's in quite good condition (I assume, haven't checked on it since I put it up in the attic). BUT, one of the pans (the full bottom pan, if I recall) has chewing on one of the corners and would need to be replaced.  Not sure how expensive they are, if you're interested I might be able to get one at wholesale price from my work (vet clinic).  I wasn't planning on selling it, that's why I didn't say anything at first, because I thought maybe someday I'd have enough rats to use it again (I'm down to three oldies and not getting any more for a while), but I am moving to Italy in September and staying there for at least a few years, so really it's just going to sit in my attic and collect dust.  If you're interested (knowing you'll have to find a replacement for the pan), let me know how much you'd be willing/able to spend and we can see if it's a fair deal for both.  I do know lots of people do bass pans (expensive though) or a lot cheaper cloroplast (sp?) pans because the CN pans are so shallow and easily chewed.  You can find lots of info on that on the forum.  Just let me know what you think you'd want to spend for it (if ya want it) and we'll talk.  No pressure.

The Martin's isn't very noisy (in my opinion)... I actually find the CN more noisy (noisier? gosh it's been too long since I've spoken English) but the CN is easier to decorate for sure.  I've never done cage liners on my Martins, just lots of litter boxes and hideys and plastic placemats to cover the flooring but the wire floor is spaced safely for rats even if you wanted to leave it uncovered.  It's a great cage, super easy to scrub down, I'm sure if you want to find out more about it there are lots of threads in the Home Squeak Home section, a lot more info than I could offer you in just one post.  If you want it it's yours for $30. 

Just an FYI, I'm going out of town on Tuesday morning and will be gone for a week, so if you're in a big hurry, we'd have to meet up tomorrow... I should be around most of the day, so if you decide you're interested I can meet up with you almost anytime except the early morning.  Or we can wait til I get back next week if you prefer.

Offline Chelsea

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 06:12:54 PM »
Ooooh, I'm very interested in the CN then, the pan is not an issue, but I have no idea what to offer you since they're so much more expensive than all ages ever... $50? $100? (That would be the absolute max I can spend right now, but if you wanted more we could get it to you after my bf gets paid, I believe that should be this friday)  $30 is quite the deal for the martin's though! I'm tempted, but I really love being able to use liners. And my boys like to chew the supports off of their hammocks, being able to get both hands in the cage at once would be excellent.

Also tomorrow would actually be awesome to meet up since both me and my boyfriend have off of work.

I'm heading to work at 6 tonight I work until pretty late, so I probably won't be online again until around midnight tonight. If it would be easier to hammer out the details via text (if you can/do text) I can PM you my phone number, as long as it isn't busy at work I'll be able to text.

Offline Teenuh

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 04:15:51 PM »
Hi  there,

I also have a Double CN available. Both pans need to be replaced as my girls have been little terrorists to them and are immensely chewed, I can give you the destroyed ones for the mean time or I can toss them out and you can just have the cage. I'm asking $100 for it as it is fairly new.

I'm located in Chicago, IL.

Let me know if you're interested!
<3 Kitty mom to Watson and Oliver, Rattie mom to Harvey, Max, Cody, Jack, Marceline, Olivia, Lucy, Zoey, Ellie, Tinkerbell, Amber, Lily, Banana, Bump, Boo, Blaze, Tegan, and Piper

Gone but never forgotten: Robert Radcliff Remington the III, Clancey Mae Marie, and Jacie <3.

Offline Chelsea

• Posts Too Much!
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 10:17:49 PM »
Thanks, but I met up with macie_and_emma today and we have the CN all set up already, I'll be looking into closing this thread. :)