Author Topic: fish oil supplements...  (Read 682 times)

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
fish oil supplements...
« on: July 15, 2011, 12:12:29 PM »
So...yes, anyone that's been following along, I have a 14 year old girl, bright and chipper, in EARLY stages of renal failure.  Her brother died 2 1/2 months ago and they wanted her (at the same time) on a "renal" diet.  Which seemed to result in her substatial weight loss.  (From about 10.5 lbs to about 9 lbs.)  She's NOT skinny.  Just don't want it to continue.

We tried every approved of food.  And she's settled on something a with a percent or two more protein, but she likes it, seems stable.  (We're going in for ANOTHER dental check soon, too, but she's checked out remarkably well for her age at two exams in the last couple of months and had her first dental needed last year...no extractions they say "mild" gingivitis...wish I could say the same for myself!)   :eek:  I'm wanting her to be on the new food at least a month or so more and we'll get her teeth checked out as the same time as the blood work UNLESS her weight loss continues, then we'll go in soon.  (9 lbs is not at all skinny, but if she got much less I'd worry).

She gets some pretty good dandruff a couple of times a year with her shedding...she always seems to shed about this time of year, not early like the boy kitty did.  So she's kind of exploding with fuzz, a fair bit of loose dandruff...still seems healthy, though.  In the past, I'd usually supplement with some cod-liver oil, but I think now that's too much extra vitamins.  What does anyone think of a half of a large capsule of regular fish oil with her food per day?  (it's usually anchovy, etc.) just to help a bit with the skin?  I don't know that she needs it or doesn't.  An old vet had me loading them up with cod liver oil in the past but now I'm not as sure as she's on a wet food that is salmon based.  (The only thing she'll eat!)

Thanks for your input,

- Raaz.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
Re: fish oil supplements...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 12:40:31 PM »
The sad thing about fish is unfortunately, you have to be concerned with them containing toxic contaminants, most common mercury.

If I remember correctly mercury can lead to or be a problem with renal failure. This is why I avoid feeding any fish to my cats unless its a small treat. Having renal failure means any other toxins such as PCBs are not filtered and can build up in the body.

Since your cat is eating a salmon based food you can check with the manufacturer for information on the quality of their fish and where they get it from. Farm raised fish can have the highest amount of contaminants. 

You can find fish oil free of contaminants at the health food stores. You have to read the labels even there I have found some questionable brands.

I would first check with your vet and make sure the additional oils arent an issue. If she is on meds it could coat them and make them ineffective depending on when she gets one or the other.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 07:24:04 PM »
Thanks.  Sure, the fish oils I personally use are tiny ocean fish (like anchovy) which tend to contain a lot less contaninants.  But sometimes you don't know for sure.  For me, since I am not right now a high consumer of larger fish, I don't worry too much over the risk for heart disease which is pretty huge.  But it's a good point for the kitty and renal failure.

I am not at all happy about what she's decided to eat, but it's also not surprising.  I haven't had too much luck with figuring out the source of the salmon.  The second ingredient, no surprise, is pork-byproduct.  Errrgh! 

At some point I have just decided to do what I can and in the meantime keep her healthy.  I think she'll be fine without the fish oil.  She does OCCASIONALLY get a big shed of dandruff, but she's by far probably the healthiest cat I've ever had.  Unless it continues past her current shed, I think I won't worry.  And, no, she takes no meds.

That one vet, the EXPENSIVE AS HECK ONE had me giving them cod-liver oil...a lot...and she was at about 12 lbs at the time.  Like I said, she's about 9 now which is probably better in some ways and NOT too skinny.  I will check more if I need to with the vet, too...it just seems that every single vet has different opinions.  IF she was still losing a lot of weight I'd probably even think it was a better idea, but I think she's FAIRLY stable.

Thanks, Forkyfork. 

For the next little bit I guess we'll see how good grooming and better eating goes!

(My stinky little "fishy food" girl!  What a turkey!)

Best,

Raaz.

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 12:52:35 PM »
My oldest cat gets dandruff. For him its an allergic reaction to preservatives added to the ingredients that go in pet food before it becomes pet food. Those preservatives dont end up on the label. Iams and Eukanuba are horrible for this.

Sometimes you just have to feed them what they will eat. My bird is a perfect example of this. He absolutely wont eat anything besides seed. I almost killed him trying to switch him to pellets.  :-\

What brand do you feed? I dont remember seeing any food with pork byproduct. Some foods are like cat crack, petsmarts brand is really bad about that. I dont know what they put in it but I tried it once and they vacuumed that stuff up like it was their last meal.

You can gradually shift them to a different food (or less of a crappy food) by mixing. Wet is easier because they cant pick the bits out and spit them on the floor. One time I tried to switch foods and it drove hubby insane because they spit the food out everywhere. lol

With one cat you will be able to tell if she is eating the mixed food. You can add more of the better food and less of the other food. You may not get completely off but she will be eating less of the previous food.

I just found this article. http://gorbzilla.com/all_about_tuna.htm  It has some interesting info about cats and the effects of mercury. However, I havent done any research to confirm the info in the article. If your interested some more research is in order.

It also mentions oils and problems it can cause. That I would defiantly look into.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 02:56:45 PM »
I'm not gonna mess with the oils for now.  What she is accepting best is Science Diet optimal care savory salmon entree, minced.  Nothing I'd have ever gone to pick out on my own!  Yes, pork stuff is in there.  Weird, huh?

I'm thinking for the next couple of weeks I'm not gonna rock the boat...just see if the particular food holds her weight stable so it would be diagnostic of weight loss for other reasons than her just being a picky little stinker.  Once I can establish if her weight is stable, we can move on from there.

Let's face it, science diet isn't the perfect food, but she could be doing worse!  I just know that fish isn't the best for cats.  She's such a stinky food slut!  (Bounds off after snuggling, eats her stinky food, bounds right back onto me.  Yum!)

Thanks for the info!