Author Topic: Neighbor kittens  (Read 620 times)

Offline nightshade6

Neighbor kittens
« on: July 21, 2011, 02:55:03 PM »
My neighbors keep coming up with kittens...I don't know where they are getting them but they are never in good health, now they have 6 week old babies they are trying to give away.

Is six weeks old enough to be on solid food? My understanding was 8 weeks is the soonest they can leave mom....I am taking a kitten temporarily should I buy kitten milk?    :BangHead:

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Neighbor kittens
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 02:38:55 PM »
They can eat solid food at 6 weeks, but you might have to add kitten milk to hard food to soften it a bit, but it is best to leave them with mom until 8 weeks so that she has time to teach them some manners, and wean them naturally.

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Neighbor kittens
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 07:55:56 PM »

6 weeks is old enough to wean, but 8 weeks is a better age to leave mom, as Marybelle said. 

I wouldn't feed a small kitten dry food, canned food is much easier for them to eat at that young of an age.  They would ordinarily still be nursing for most of their nutrition at that age, and their jaw strenth isn't really up for chewing hard kibbles.  This can be a choking hazard.  I have had good success with raising kittens on kitten formula (or other nutrition dense) canned food watered down with goat milk (KMR isn't any better and it's more expensive) to make a pudding consistency food.  I make it in batches and store for 2-3 days in tupperware in the fridge. 

Have you talked to this neighbor about spay/neuter?  Constantly trying to give away kittens suggests that either their cat or a resident stray needs to get snipped.  If it's a stray, even a feral cat can be caught in a humane trap and spayed+vaccinated.  Many humane societies offer discounted spay/neuter services, and many are happy to spay feral cats too.  A little bit of investment, and no more kittens to get rid of.