Author Topic: Urgent Problem?  (Read 553 times)

Offline Notomys mordax

Urgent Problem?
« on: July 28, 2011, 10:37:11 AM »
Stoops is a 14 week old oriental kitten, but she's on the smaller side (just shy of 2lbs with very little body fat). She's been with me for a week, during which time she has been eating/pooping fine. The only problem she really had was the fact that she was very mouthy, especially when compared to her sister. According to her breeder, this is a new development, and probably related to teething. This morning when she woke up, she had slight diarrhea and refused to eat her breakfast. We switched brands of food last night (she ate like a pig)... so that could be the cause, but she also seems like she isn't feeling 100%. She is still active, but not as bright as she normally is. I did the "pinch test" and she's not dehydrated (at least not yet) but since she is so small, I worry about her missing any meals.

I've already emailed my breeder for advice and am waiting to hear back from her, but I'm just curious if you have any input. I already have a vet appointment for Saturday morning... I guess I'm just curious if this should be considered an emergency or not. I can take her to the e-vet later tonight or try to move my appointment to tomorrow if you think it is... but she's only missed one meal and has only had one runny stool, and I think I may have a touch of "new parent paranoia". I am going to try to feed her again before I go to work. Whether or not she eats then will probably influence my choice.

I also looked into her mouth, and she looked pretty much like an elementary school kid-- lots of missing teeth and a few half-erupted adult teeth. So I am pretty sure my breeder was right about her teething. Could teething cause low-grade diarrhea and a lack of appetite?

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
Re: Urgent Problem?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 11:28:49 AM »
Did you just straight switch the foods, or did you begin a gradual switch?

Offline Notomys mordax

Re: Urgent Problem?
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 12:19:44 PM »
Sort of... We were in the initial stages of switching (~20% new and ~80% old) but the kitties would pick out the new and leave the old. We were sort of worried about them not getting enough calories as they are *very* active kitties, we we decided just to give them the new. Probably not the brightest idea.

I got Stoops to eat about 1/2 of a 6 oz can (of the new food... she wouldn't touch the old food). She still has diarrhea and gas... but her stool was marginally firmer. She's still a little bit lethargic (she's still grooming herself, wakes up readily if I make noise in the room she's in, and half-heartedly plays with her sister)... which is the most worrying.