Author Topic: Newbie Question - Fleece Bedding  (Read 419 times)

Offline Serikiyo

• Roman Catholic <3
    • Serikiyo's dA Gallery
Newbie Question - Fleece Bedding
« on: July 29, 2011, 12:08:04 AM »
Ok, so I'm making all the preparations to be a first time rat owner. I have a cage all picked out and I've read about as much as I can about rats (without getting a PhD lol ;)). I have a lot of experience with animals in general, and my family has owned hamsters years ago and for a few years we've babysat classroom guinea pigs on weekends/vacations. So I think I'm about as prepared as a newbie can get minus actual interaction with a rat.

I can't remember if I saw the idea here on this forum or somewhere else, but someone had said they've sewed two layers of fleece together for bedding. They were able to make two sets of fleece "blankets" and just cycled them out and washed them when cleaning time came. I'm just curious if anyone here has had personal experience with this? I think it will be a great alternative to bedding for me. I think it would be much more attractive and economical, but also I have fibromyalgia, so the less hassle cleaning is, the less stress on my body.

So I have some questions for those of you who know:

*How quickly will the fleece wear out? Will the rats shred up the fabric?
*Will fleece be too smelly/more smelly than ordinary bedding?
*Is there any special precautions I should take when cleaning the fleece? How do I sanitize it (unscented, ultra-mild detergent)?
*Would it be better to sew the two layers together or will the "no-sew blanket" method pass? Would they eat the fringe? (again, no-sew saves me energy with my FM)
*Are there any other concerns/anything I have overlooked?

Thank you all in advance for your help! I'd like to get the answers ASAP in case I need the extra time to sew.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 12:12:48 AM by Serikiyo »

Offline Serikiyo

• Roman Catholic <3
    • Serikiyo's dA Gallery
Re: Newbie Question - Fleece Bedding
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 12:15:22 AM »
Sorry about the double post!  Please delete the other thread. :-[

Offline Wheeljack

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 12:22:42 AM »
There are probably about a 100 posts on fleece liners as a lot of us use them :)
If you put 'fleece' or 'liners' in the search box at the upper-right, you'll find lots of information.

Short answer to your questions,

-depends on how badly your rats chew them
-if you don't change it frequently yes it is more smelly than normal bedding
-clean with fragrance-free/dye free cleaners
-Some people use a single layer, some use two, some use two with batting, some use two with a towel in between.  You have to experiment and see what works best for you

Offline Annahra

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 12:27:55 AM »
I have fleece shelf liners, but I just toss cheap towels into the bottom of the cage (SCN). We had a lot of issues at first and went through a lot of different types of bedding trying to cut down on the smell, and honestly the towels/fleece have been the absolute best solution for odor.

Some people are a little pickier than me, but I just put their blankets and hammocks through the sanitary cycle in my front-loader with our usual detergent (Tide High Effeciency either Cold Water or Free depending on what I happened to grab). I've been rotating four towels for maybe three months now and they're all still perfectly usable (just slightly chewed). They chew a hole in a couple of the corners on the shelf liners so they can get underneath them, but as soon as they can get under them they leave the rest of them alone. This is just my experience with my guys--from what I've read some rats completely destroy liners.

Offline Serikiyo

• Roman Catholic <3
    • Serikiyo's dA Gallery
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 12:33:55 AM »
There are probably about a 100 posts on fleece liners as a lot of us use them :)
If you put 'fleece' or 'liners' in the search box at the upper-right, you'll find lots of information.

Short answer to your questions,

-depends on how badly your rats chew them
-if you don't change it frequently yes it is more smelly than normal bedding
-clean with fragrance-free/dye free cleaners
-Some people use a single layer, some use two, some use two with batting, some use two with a towel in between.  You have to experiment and see what works best for you

Oooooooh ok, I'll do that. Thanks everyone for the help.  :BlueDumboSmile: