Author Topic: Newbie Question - Fleece Bedding  (Read 307 times)

Offline Serikiyo

• Roman Catholic <3
    • Serikiyo's dA Gallery
Newbie Question - Fleece Bedding
« on: July 29, 2011, 12:02:02 AM »
Ok, so I'm making all the preparations to be a first time rat owner. I have a cage all picked out and I've read about as much as I can about rats (without getting a PhD lol ;)). I have a lot of experience with animals in general, and my family has owned hamsters years ago and for a few years we've babysat classroom guinea pigs on weekends/vacations. So I think I'm about as prepared as a newbie can get minus actual interaction with a rat.

I can't remember if I saw the idea here on this forum or somewhere else, but someone had said they've sewed two layers of fleece together for bedding. They were able to make two sets of fleece "blankets" and just cycled them out and washed them when cleaning time came. I'm just curious if anyone here has had personal experience with this? I think it will be a great alternative to bedding for me. I think it would be much more attractive and economical, but also I have fibromyalgia, so the less hassle cleaning is, the less stress on my body.

So I have some questions for those of you who know:

*How quickly will the fleece wear out? Will the rats shred up the fabric?
*Will fleece be too smelly/more smelly than ordinary bedding?
*Is there any special precautions I should take when cleaning the fleece (other than using ultra-mild detergent)?
*Would it be better to sew the two layers together or will the "no-sew blanket" method pass? Would they eat the fringe? (again, no-sew saves me energy with my FM)
*Are there any other concerns/anything I have overlooked?

Thank you all in advance for your help! I'd like to get the answers ASAP in case I need the extra time to sew.