Author Topic: Rat Manor Habitat cage?  (Read 8214 times)

Offline SylviaTheRat65

Rat Manor Habitat cage?
« on: August 04, 2011, 02:35:31 AM »
Is the Rat Manor Habitat cage from Petco a good cage for two female rats?  Thinking about buying it for them. I would LOVE Critter nation, but it's just way to much money right now. I will get the cage one day in the far far future. lol

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
Re: Rat Manor Habitat cage?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 02:37:17 AM »
That's not a bad cage.
From what I understand it doesn't stand the test of time, but I assume it will last longer than two little rats!

Maybe if you decide to get another pair after these two pass you will decide to upgrade to a more sturdy, or larger one.

Offline Emymoo

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 02:50:09 AM »
For the price, I'd go with a Super Pet Exotics. Quite a bit bigger, and only $15ish more (generally around $90, but I've seen then for $80 online).
The dogs: Sara and Lola. The kitties: Emy and Molly
Rest in peace my sweeties
 Bella, Riley, Fuzz, Juno and Frederick <3

Offline SylviaTheRat65

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 02:59:52 AM »
I have Super Pet Exotics for my two male rats right now. =) They have been in that cage since they were six weeks old. I just find it a big pain in the butt to clean out at times. =/ But I'll go with Super Pet Exotics. I like the cage for the most part. I just hate cleaning it out. lol

Offline Emymoo

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 10:15:47 PM »
I had one for my thee girls a few years ago, and remember only too well how big of a pan in the bt that cage could be. Especially the shelves! Ugh. I found wiping the shelves down daily with vinegar, only using two shelves ( like a Martins 680) that were in a position they could be easily accessed through the doors for wipe downs, and hosing the whole cage off with the shelves in place on cleaning day made cleaning it a LOT easier!
The dogs: Sara and Lola. The kitties: Emy and Molly
Rest in peace my sweeties
 Bella, Riley, Fuzz, Juno and Frederick <3

Offline copaland

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 10:41:54 PM »
I had 2 boys in a Rat Manor and I liked the cage. Easy to lift the top out and clean and it's one of the nicer cheaper cages. I noticed several people had complaints about theirs but I never had an issue. It might come down to your preferences for your cage.

Offline Ratgirl143

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 03:12:34 AM »
I have 2 females in a rat manor right now and it is very roomy. Its very easy to clean and I have had not one problem with it. It is also very sturdy.

Offline Bananana

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 11:38:01 AM »
I've never had a Super Pet exotics cage, but I had a Rat Manor for a long time (I still have it, but their main cage is a DCN now). 

The Rat Manor can be a good cage, but it's also a pain in the butt to clean.  It was the first cage we had, and I can't tell you how many times I almost had a rage-seizure while trying to scrub that thing in the shower.  The shelves and ramps make peaceful cleaning nearly impossible.  Taking the shelves/ramps out is hard enough, and it pretty much guarantees that you're going to hate your life when you try to put them back in. The little hooks get stuck on everything.   

That being said, it's a roomy cage for its price-range (especially because of the full middle shelf) and the size of the wire mesh on the shelves is very small, so that's good.  And it fits in a standard tub for cleaning, which I suppose is something to appreciate.  It's also good for hanging hammocks (you can hang them from the middle level as well as the top).  It also folds down for travel/storage pretty well (we figured out how to temporarily make it into a one-level for car-rides. It involves zip ties and a bit of magic, but it works).   We still use our Rat Manor as a travel cage/QT cage, and even though I hate cleaning it, we've gotten the routine down pretty well over the years.

I'd recommend using shelf liners if you do end up getting the cage - getting poop stuck in the wire mesh on the shelves is not fun. And the cage is exponentially easier to clean if you let it sit in the shower with hot water running for a few minutes before you start scrubbing it (it loosens all the gunk and makes scrubbing easier).  It also eases frustration to leave the middle shelf in place during cleaning and only scrub from the top (if you scrub from underneath, the shelf comes loose and it's a total nightmare getting it back in place).  I'd also recommend leaving the ramps out unless you have senior rats. 

Hope this helps!

Offline eyohkay

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rattie Tattie Rescue
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 01:13:27 PM »
I never had to scrub the shelves of my Rat Manor... I just put it in the shower as hot as it would go for 5 or so minutes, then dried it off with a rag.

It's not my main cage now, but I really liked the RM when I was using it.  My only complain was the small doors, as they were too small to fit my litter boxes through, and I had to take it out of the base to clean them.

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 02:49:30 PM »
I have a small, single male living in mine right now. But I've used this cage for QT and temporary hold and a hospital cage A LOT. It's a very handy cage to have around, and I would say it's big enough for two females. You can shuffle the shelves and level around, too, to make different layouts. I have mine all zip tied together for extra stability.

I have had the SPE, too. I do NOT recommend it for females. I had males in it for years, and they did great. I had females in it for less than a couple months, and they chewed holes into every corner of the cage and escaped. These are females who haven't touched the pans in their FN. There was something about that cage they wanted to chew.

The Rat Manor is all metal, so no problems with that. The levels are big enough for them to use easily, but small enough that cutting/sewing liners for them is not going to be ridiculously expensive, and I manage to cram a lot of hammocks and toys into mine. It fits perfectly into a normal sized bathtub and I let mine have water run on it and just wipe it down. Takes ten minutes and it's clean. It's definitely not a bad cage.

Offline ratlover23

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 07:49:54 PM »
I've met people who like it, and others who don't. Unfortunately I'm one of the ones who doesn't like it...
Issues I had:
1. The wiring came undone.
2. Frustrating to clean.
3. Small doors, so you can't fit things through and difficult to pick up rats. (also makes hanging hammocks and decorating more difficult)
4. Rattled like crazy (though zip ties would fix that)
5. For some reason, this may just be me, but I couldn't get the smell out of it, even after bleaching, using vinegar, and various other techniques.
6. It rusted rather quickly.

7. Shelves kept falling down.
That said, I have met people who like it, but this cage wasn't good for me, and I ended up wishing I'd gotten a Martins instead.
http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/rat/

Offline blissey

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 09:33:27 PM »
I have this for my three girls and I really like it. It's roomy, space efficient, and easy to clean. On the other hand, the levels and shelves don't stay put. Petco is way overpriced - I got mine off Craigslist.

Offline Eugooglizer

• Posts Too Much!
  • Everything's got a moral, if only you can find it
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 09:53:42 PM »
IMO its not a bad cage for two rats.  Its not perfect, but I've used it quite a bit and don't totally hate it.  The floors and ramps do NOT stay put though, that was my biggest frustration.  After zip-tying them in place though the problem was solved. 

Offline owl4273

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 02:36:16 PM »
I never had to scrub the shelves of my Rat Manor... I just put it in the shower as hot as it would go for 5 or so minutes, then dried it off with a rag.

It's not my main cage now, but I really liked the RM when I was using it.  My only complain was the small doors, as they were too small to fit my litter boxes through, and I had to take it out of the base to clean them.

Wow, I have never even thought of clipping the liners up to to sides like that. That would be SO much easier than fixing it every time I walk by. Thanks for the idea  :P

Offline eyohkay

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rattie Tattie Rescue
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 05:19:29 PM »
Haha, no problem!  I just got the teeny tiny binder clips and they work great.  I also use them to clip the liners onto the shelves.  It's kind of hard to see in that picture, but I clip them from the outside, right through the bars.  The little handle things on the clips help to stabilize the shelves and keep them in place.

If that didn't make sense, I can take a picture, haha.