Author Topic: DIY playpen?  (Read 853 times)

Offline *CARRIE*

• 2 kids and a menagerie :-)
    • Pics of my rats
DIY playpen?
« on: August 04, 2011, 09:22:40 PM »
Hi! We adopted a mom & her 6 daughters a few years ago. Unfortunately, they all died at about the same time- very heartbreaking. We took a break from rats. My husband made a simple playpen for them using 4 pieces of particle board. I read about it on here and all of the bookmarks are so old that they no longer work, including the site.

Our hearts healed and we have adopted 4 females.  The playpen is gone, so I was wondering if someone has any "plans" for making this type? It IS very simple, but my husband isn't exactly a handyman so specifics would be great  ;).  It was just 4 pieces of particle board that had grooves cut to they fit together.

Offline *CARRIE*

• 2 kids and a menagerie :-)
    • Pics of my rats
Re: DIY playpen?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 09:28:11 PM »
I found it! But I'm leaving this thread because maybe someone else will be interested, and of course I'm interested in comments
http://www.squidoo.com/RatPen

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 09:32:11 PM »
I made one (well, two really).  I found the 4x4 floorprint to be a bit squished with me in there with them, so I made another one, 8x4.  Just know being 2 foot high, some rats will jump out, so if you're worried about that, you might want to go higher.  I only use mine with fosters to be honest, as I find it much easier and more comfortable to just let them run around my ratproofed room.  But some people love playpens :)

Offline Bananana

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 12:12:42 PM »
We made one out of what I think is particle board (it's very thin, but stiff and it looks like it's made from wood molded wood pulp.)

The pieces are about 4 feet long and a little over 3 feet tall.  We got them at Home Depot for about 5 bucks each, and then attached them together with small hinges.  We made one section with 3 panels and another section with two panels so we can stick them together as a playpen and also use them separately as barriers during free range time. 

Charlie figured out how to jump over the side, but it contains our other rats just fine.