Author Topic: Alternative to Bass Pans ( for the Critter Nation)  (Read 15774 times)

Offline ratlover23

Alternative to Bass Pans ( for the Critter Nation)
« on: August 06, 2011, 10:54:40 PM »
I'm considering getting a Critter Nation, but, unfortunately I have a few doubts...  :P

The thing is, I would not want to use the regular pans, which means I would order bass pans, then spray/cure them. (How long do they take again?) . But... they seem a bit expensive, and a hassle. I couldn't figure out what the shipping cost was, since I would have to complete payment first... about how much was it for you guys who have a CN to have it shipped to the west coast? (I know it really depends on location.)

And first, before I order a new cage, I want to know if there is some alternative to bass pans.

1. I've heard about scatter guards, but mostly I've read that they're flimsy and don't work well (Anyone wanna share some experience on that?).

2. Is there some other pan that would fit well in it? Like I dunno, just a plastic bin that just so happens to fit well?

3. Also, is it possible to build your own type of scatter guard? Sort of like sheets that attach to the sides?

4. Or maybe even build a homemade pan?

5. Out of what material? Would coroplast work?

But then I started thinking that it must take a LOT of litter to fill the whole thing, which is a downside. Haha, I dunno I'm a bit confuzzled by the whole thing,  ??? and thinking I might just forget it and go with a Martins or this cage:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=20003

So..... I know this is a lot of questions, but ANY advice anyone has to offer would be greatly appreciated, it really means a lot to me!  :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline eyohkay

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rattie Tattie Rescue
Re: Alternative to Bass Pans ( for the Critter Nation)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 01:36:38 PM »
Y'know, I've never really thought about it, but I bet it wouldn't be impossible to find a plastic storage tote that would fit inside the cage.  It would probably be chewed on pretty heavily, but I'm sure it would take awhile for them to chew it to the point that it wouldn't be usable.

*goes to Google storage bins*

Offline htsr4

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 02:11:38 PM »
I have seen someone use a bin from home depot in their ferret nation. You can also make a tray out of coroplast. You can use these to help protect it from being chewed
http://www.guineapigzone.com/c-and-c-cages-guinea-pigs/10-accessories

Offline copaland

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 02:16:08 PM »
I just got a CN and am going to make a coroplast pan for it. I buy a 15pk of clear report covers at Office Max, they come with black slide-on binders, and those are similar to the link above. They make a nice finished edge and it's a good guinea pig deterrent for chewing, so I think it will be similarly successful with rats.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 03:34:37 PM »
are liners not an option for you?

Offline ratlover23

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 05:49:40 PM »
Thanks!

I'd also given some though to storage bins, since I remember seeing someone with a cage with one, but I can't remmber which post it was ...  :P

htsr4: Thanks!!! I'll look into it. Unfortunately, I looked at the dimensions on the bass equipment site and they said their dimensions are: 34 5/8 by 22 5/8, although the cage itself is 36 by 24. So I'm not sure that either of them would fit.

Ive never worked with coroplast before... so I'm assuming then that it's waterproof (pee proof)?

While it would be nice to use liners, I've heard so much about how they trap smell. And although in the past I've used the washing machine to wash hammocks and such, other members of my family aren't fond of the smell that stays in the washing machine. Also, I'm afraid that if I did use liners, they might be destroyed rather quickly.

I've wanted a CN for a LOOONG time now, but I'm afraid that it might not turn out to be the best choice. It's the big door and lotsa space that really appeals to me :)

For the people who have gotten bass pans, approximately how much was shipping? Cause in some cases I've seen shipping for things like that at $40, and if I'm only getting one pan...

Offline BayouBird

• Singing that Bayou Song!
    • Bayou Bird Songs
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 12:30:23 AM »
actually, those dimensions are pretty correct.  It's 2 x 3 feet from the outside edge to the other outside edge, and there's bars and such which must be subtracted from the aftual width.  I recently had to make some temporary "sidings" for the bottom of my CN and so I know it's not exactly 24 inches by 36 xD

Offline RatAttack59

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rat Chick Rat Rescue
Jackson~George~Theo
Simon~Truffle
Romeo~ Othello~Sam
Wilbur~Moe~Captain~Felix
Mini Moe~Maisy~Midge

Missing our babies at the bridge
http://www.ratchickratrescue.com/

Offline ratlover23

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 12:02:22 PM »
BayouBird: Yes, sorry I should clarify... I meant that the links that htsr4 posted for plastic tubs which could act as bass pans may not work because they are bigger than the size that the real bass pans are listed for on the website. Gah, that sounds confusing even to me...
Here:
http://www.homedepot.com/Building-Materials-Concrete-Cement-Masonry-Concrete-Tools-Mixing-Tubs-Pans/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xkkZaq89/R-202086174/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
^^
In That link the dimensions are 35.5 x 24.5, which is larger than the real bass pans are listed for. ( 34 5/8 x 22 5/8). And if the real bass pans fit well,  I wouldn't want to get anything thats a larger size in case it might not fit. :) Hehe, I hope that makes sense.

Offline Sidders

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 05:28:26 PM »
Just wanted to share that someone on a ferret forum used the same type of mixing tub as a tray for their Ferret Nation.

http://forum.ferret.com/tm.aspx?high=&m=138415&mpage=1#138416

If you scroll down, the measurements were said to be 36" x 24" x 8" so those tubs apparently do fit Ferret Nations (at least the old model). I'm not sure if Critter Nations have a different length/width.