Author Topic: Hissing during rough play...normal?  (Read 701 times)

Offline TeddyBigEars

Hissing during rough play...normal?
« on: August 22, 2011, 01:29:58 AM »
I just got two 5.5 month old female kittens, Riley and Nosey, last week. They're litter mates and enjoy wrestling pretty roughly sometimes. The problem is that I just saw Riley hiss at Nosey and look pretty pissed off (arched back, ears flat) for just half a second before she looked playful again. Is this something to be concerned about or is that normal kitten play? These two are my first cats and just want to make sure. Oh, perhaps I should mention that Riley (the hisser) was chasing the laser pointer when Nosey (the hissee) jumped on her...not sure if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Hissing during rough play...normal?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 08:51:15 AM »
Sounds like she was focused on the laser pointer and didn't see her sister coming, and it scared her.   Since she calmed right back down and went back into play mode once she realized what was going on, I wouldn't worry about it too much.  :)

Offline TeddyBigEars

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 08:57:23 AM »
 :doh: Of course! I definitely overanalyzed that one. These are my first kittens and I just want to make sure my lack of experience doesn't negatively affect them. Thanks for the reply.  :)

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 04:27:54 PM »
It's easy to do, especially as a new parent.  ;)