Author Topic: Attn House rabbit owners who ALSO have or have had rats...  (Read 3521 times)

Offline LTRC

Attn House rabbit owners who ALSO have or have had rats...
« on: August 25, 2011, 11:23:00 AM »
Hi there,

I currently have two absolutely AMAZING rats, who I think will end up being my only two rats as I don't think I'll ever be able to bring myself to have more after these guys move on. I'd like the opinion of a rat and rabbit -owner on how rabbits compare as pets. I'm talking JUST personality-wise.

I always anticipated rats to have cracking personalities but was blown away by just how awesome they can be. Rabbits, though very cute-looking, have always seemed a bit... bleh to me personality-wise (no offence meant, like I say, I'm a rabbit no0b) so I would like to know how they compare as I will need a new pet the moment my rats are gone or I'll just dwell in my misery.

Cheers,

Lu

Offline htsr4

Re: Attn House rabbit owners who ALSO have or have had rats...
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 01:19:04 PM »
Well my rabbits are more anti social when it comes to people. They will run up to me when I have their food and Minnie will come see what I am doing every once in a while but thats about it. They don't like to be touched. They are not cuddly. They hate being picked up. Compared to rats rabbits don't have very good personalities (at least in my experience). Dont get me wrong. They make great pets. I absolutely love having rabbits. They are just not as social as other pets.

Offline LTRC

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 03:29:25 PM »
Yeh, I figured as much. Thanks for the info :-)

Offline Eileen

• Forum Enabler
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Be nice to someone today!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 05:48:25 PM »
I have had two rabbits, and while they are very different, they both sought out attention and affection. My first rabbit used to lie on the couch with me for hours and watch TV, loved to be petted, didn't mind being picked up at all.
The one I have now, I can't pick him up but he is very social and cannot get enough attention and petting. He is also very funny and will let you know when he wants to come out. Let him out and BOOM, he is running like a madrabbit through the house, kicking his feet up. He is very funny and makes me laugh a lot.
I loved having rats, but the short lifespan eventually got to be too much. And, I had a range in my rats of being funny and needy, to being a loner that didn't care one way or the other if I paid attention to her.

Animals are animals; they all have different personalities. One thing I've learned is that they all have something to add to your life; sometimes you have to be a little patient and be accepting to find it, but it's there.

This is me with Gulliver (first rabbit):

Working a fundraiser at my job:

Product placement:

And here is Jake, he's a little nervous as this was the day I adopted him:

Getting into trouble:

Giving kisses:

« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 06:01:08 PM by Eileen »
Gulliver's Travels  may be over, but they will never be forgotten..

Offline JessicasZooCrew

• My blog
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 09:10:02 PM »
I have 12 rabbits. Most have learned there name and come for pats when they are called. 10 are cuddle bunnies, 2 don't really like to cuddle but will settle down on you lap for pats. You have to work with rabbits more then rats. They usually go through a teenage stage from about 3-4 months to 7-8 months where they are rebelious and not the most cuddly creatures in the world. I personally think adopting a bunny over a year is a better idea as you can see the demeanor better. Babies are adorable of course, but they grow up and their attitudes change.

A neutered or spayed rabbit is the only way to go (I have 4 altered, am working on the rest - mine are retired show bunnies, you can't show altered rabbits). If you aren't going to alter your rabbit, I recommend bucks. If you fix, it doesn't really matter.

Rabbits are NOT for everyone so I usually recommend a person baby sit a rabbit for a couple weeks for a friend if at all possible, or spend time with mine and their varying personalities, or foster for a rescue for a while. I am a rabbit person, I love my ratties, cats, dogs, bird, and horse but it's nice to have an animal that is content with you just sitting there and doesn't have to smother you with attention.

I have noticed by the one I had and the many I've met that English Angoras have the greatest personalities - puppy dog like. They do require MAJOR grooming as they are a wool breed and need even additional research. I adopted George through a rescue - he was about 2 when taken in, covered in head to toe from mats. His mats had mats. He was in terrible shape. He was with me for 6 wonderful years.
~~Jessica And Crew~~

Offline LTRC

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 08:24:55 AM »
Wow thanks guys! Really appreciate you taking the time for those posts! Plenty of food for thought there!

Offline kerri.howard

• Posts Too Much!
  • lap rats, Pete and Ross.
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 11:04:47 AM »
I've been a rat nut for years, and recently got a rabbit here in Mexico. He's a sweetie, but (and maybe it's my fault) but I don't see quite as much personality in him as the rats. He has his personality, and I love him, but I think the rats are definitely smarter (and cleaner).
Currently enjoying the company of Daario, Zuca, Groot, Rachel, Phoebe, Einstein, Breadstick, and Charlie.

Offline msommers

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 10:59:58 PM »
I have rats and rabbits. The only downfall to loving rats is their life spans. Rabbit seem more to tolerate you, but definitely live longer.

Offline crazydaisy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 06:35:20 PM »
We have 2 rabbits unaltered & male. For me rats are my favorite and rabbits are number 2. I adore both & love how rabbits follow you around like puppies. They tolerate getting held & love making messes lol. My holland is 8 and he's been around rats since he was a baby and even gets depressed when one passes. He thinks he's a rat sometime so much that he tries to climb his cage and mimic the rats. I've had rats that would throw food out for the bunnies too lol. They are both great pets though :)