Author Topic: 1 kitten or 2?  (Read 1414 times)

Offline SSTFLFPS

• Posts Too Much!
  • The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs...
1 kitten or 2?
« on: September 01, 2011, 10:21:51 PM »
After the PetSmart disaster, I may have found a kitten. The thing is two are calling to me.  My main criteria has been male and I found a silver tabby 3.5 week old on  CL (no worries he wouldn't be coming home until he was old enough), but the lady also has a super sweet 6 week old tuxedo female.  I kind of feel like it would be easier on them to come home with a friend, but I don't want the psychosis of a female cat.  I'd spay her once she was old enough, but I've found even spayed females to be interesting to say the least.  Also it's been a while since I've had a kitten in the house, any tips?

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: 1 kitten or 2?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
See, I've always found female cats to be awesome.  So maybe you got calicos or torties?  They tend to be nuts.  ;)

Seriously, though, I'd go for 2.  Male and female will complement each other nicely as they get older, and keep each other company while they're younger.  It's nice for them to have another kitten to play with, and to cuddle with, especially if you'll be at work or school for a good chunk of the day.  :)

Offline Crickett

• "Rats Are A Womans Bestfriend"
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 11:04:04 PM »
I also second the 2 kitten choice. I have only had a few cats in my life, but right now i'm raising 2 kittens.A brother and sister pair...and honestly i think they are doing better with one another rather than if they were alone. They cuddle all the time and get very upset when one is taken from the other. Our vet even said that kittens often do better for socialization if another cat is present (since they are social). Either way though do what you think is best for you and kitties alike. And good luck cant wait to see pics!
"If Dogs Are Mans Bestfriend, Then Rats Are A Womans Bestfriend"- Me

Owned By:
Cupcake - 1yr old (F) cat
Ares- 1yr old (F) cat
Tyrion- 5 month old Dumbo Black Bershire  (M)

Offline JessicasZooCrew

• My blog
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 11:17:13 PM »
I'm with you, male cats are awesome and females - well - let's just say I'm a boy cat person. Of course 2 of my 3 boys were neutered before they knew they were boys. My female (not sure what her color would be called - she has a beige body with cream to lt orange points and shading over a good part of her body, a cream to lt orange tabby tail, stark white paws, and beautiful blue eyes. She also has a nervous condition and licks herself bald. Sometimes she's a cuddly cat, most times she's not. She doesn't like change or new people and hides under the bed. My boys are in your face, always want to be held and smooshed and loved. 2 were bottle fed so that could be part of it and the one who wasn't does have his cattitude moments. Don't get me wrong, I love Mia to pieces and no telling how she was treated the first 6 years of her life. My boys were all younger when I got them, Rupe was 4 weeks (mom was killed), Milo was less then an hour old (he's my Halloween baby - someone thought it would be cool to tie the 4 kittens together with string and leave them in my grandmas yard - 1 of the 4 died, I have Milo and my cousin has the other 2), and Bombay was 2 but had been bottle fed by the people that dumped him on me.

As for 2 kittens, I think you are nuts. I'd rather have 10 puppies. Kittens are TROUBLE, I fostered a mom and litter and was so happy when it was time to return the kitties. Would have adopted mama but she made enemies with the dogs so I was unable to keep her. I wouldn't call myself a kitten hater... I just prefer older cats.
~~Jessica And Crew~~

Offline Hippidy

• Posts Too Much!
  • aka Christy
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 11:30:16 PM »
I agree you should do two kittens. They tend to be less cranky and bite less because they can be rough with each other. I have heard that adult cats can be alone and can enjoy being alone. I personally think cats do best when in at least pairs especially when raised together from kittens. The females that I have seen that are bitey or moody have been kept as lone cats and never had a buddy to play with. All paired cats seem to be much better adjusted.

I've always said as long as I have one cat (or rat) that is friendly and enjoys my company I'll be happy. The other can be skittish or what ever, it's better to save them in my opinion.

Offline SSTFLFPS

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 11:49:57 PM »
Jessica, AMEN.  Girl cats are INSANE.  Tortis and calicos are just more insane.  I've known one good girl cat.  My cousin's cat growing up, but she'd had so many kittens (which I refuse to do - cats = speuter, speuter, speuter) that she was old, tired, and endlessly patient.  Boys on the other hand tend to be loving doofuses most of the time and when they are Hulking out a neuter usually reigns them in (unless you're my nephew's cat who at times I swear has to be an intact female and not a neutered male - talk about neurosis).  And while I agree that when it comes to nuts 2 kittens far surpass 10 puppies, I wonder if having another similarly aged cat will help redirect some of the insanity.  I have the dogs, but while I'm sure they'll get along, I don't see them playing together.  My first Chihuahua was best friends with the cat mentioned above and later with my own cat, but her style of play was much more kitty compatible than these guys.  There are also 2 kittens that live a few houses down, but love to hang out here.  But they are much bigger and stronger than this lityle guy and I'm assuming still will be in a few weeks so may be it would work out best to bring the lityle girl he already knows and is closer to his age along.  I guess I'll have to take a look in person and see if she's as enchanting in real life as in her pictures.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 12:40:18 AM »

Offline maesie

• Posts Too Much!
  • 100% Aussi
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 06:16:39 AM »
I've only ever had girl cats are they were awesome. My first girl was not massively up for cuddles but was happy enough for pats and attention. My current girl is beautiful and loves taking up my lap. I'd go for 2 if you have the choice too.

Offline Notomys mordax

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 11:16:28 AM »
If you have the funds, I'd definitely go for two. I have two (female) kittens monsters, and they are each other's favorite toy. Unless you had other cats at home already, the breeder I got them from doesn't sell solo kittens.  I really couldn't imagine only having one: they play together, sleep cuddled together, eat together, climb my drapes together, sneak into closets together, terrorize the fishtank together, ect ect. They are super active, and having a kitten-playmate helps give them a good outlet for their energy. Plus I feel less guilty when I leave to go to work.

Just remember, two kittens = twice the food, twice the vet, twice the litter, ect.

Offline SSTFLFPS

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 08:52:05 PM »
No kittens.  The lady's child accidently sold him to someone else, and as cute as the girl is her biggest draw was as a companion to the little boy.  I guess the search begins  again, but I did tell her to let me know if it falls through.

Offline SSTFLFPS

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 01:36:15 AM »
Little boy might be available after all, but I have a couple of questions/doubts:

1.  The soonest I could pick him up is the 19th.  This is one of the concerns.  He still might be unavailable because if someone will take him before she'll let him go.  By my calcualations, my earliest pick up date is 6 weeks old which I still find too young.  Last I checked a kitten shouldn't leave mom until at least 10-12 weeks because even post weaning there's still the business of being a cat to learn. 

2.  In the event I do bring him home that young, how do you teach a cat to be a cat?  The last time I had a kitten that young was my boy who had to be removed from his mother young because he was half the size of his siblings and needed extra one on one care.  He was a fabulous cat, but he definitely thought he was a dog/person.

3.  Preface: No arguing please.  I know a lot of you disagree.  At what age do you start introducing the outdoors?  The method with my old cat was to open the laundry room door and let him explore at his own pace.  I want him to be big enough, but not too big.  Sister cat and her kittens hang out here all the time and I'd like for him to be able to interact with them, as I'm pretty sure his sister is no longer available.  They spend a lot of time inside their house, but whenever they are let out beeline it over here to play and chill until Mommy starts calling the three of them for dinner.  They, however, were born outside and have their mother to teach and protect them as they learn the ropes.

4.  Litter training.  I was spoiled with the boy.  He understood it instantly and never had a single accident ever.  Being so young I worry he won't get it yet.  Again I know some disagree, but he'll be an INDOOR/outdoor cat at his discretion.  His discretion means there's always the chance he'll never want to go out.  I don't plan to force him, so he needs to know where to potty and being so young Mama might not have had a chance to ingrain that lesson yet.

5.  Microchipping.  Is there an age limit?  As soon as he hits 12 weeks, it's off with the jewels.  I'd like to get him chipped while he's under.  I don't like collars on cats.  My nephew's cat is strictly indoor and wears a breakaway.  I've had to rescue him multiple times because he gets stuck and those things only break away if you put pressure in exactly the right place exactly the right way.  If my boy does go outside I don't want him to end up stangled on some tree because the collar didn't break.

I grew up with cats, but I'm feeling rusty so any help is much appreciated.

Offline SSTFLFPS

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 02:34:37 AM »
Quick add on:

Anyone have any experience with sureflap pet doors?  It's supposed to read the microchip, but I want to know if it works as well in practice as it does in theory.

Offline Livideum

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 05:23:51 AM »
1. I agree with you that 6 weeks is too young but if they are just going to give him away anyways it does not matter that much if it is you or someone else taking him in my opinion, though maybe since you live close by you can try to talk them in to letting him have a bit more time with mamma cat.

2. I don't really know on this one, my kitten who was abandoned at 4 weeks thinks she is one of the dogs =P

3. I always had indoor/outdoor cats growing up I lived in a small town in the woods with slow speed limits but now that I live in a town next to a very dangerous road my cats are strictly indoors. My cats that were indoor/outdoor started going outside at 4-5 months oldish they were big enough and confident enough to handle it and took it very slowly at first.

4. Most kittens cat learn Very young about litter boxes, my kitten was placed in the litter box on day 1 of having her we dug around in it a bit to show her what to do and she understood right away even though she had been raised/abandoned under a house. If he has an accident just try to catch him in the act and place him in the litter box, don't scold him or get upset. Livi has never gone outside of a litter box now though =D

5. Micro chipping can be done very young, Livi was spayed at 10 weeks old and was chipped at the same time with no issues at all, she also has a break away collar but it breaks away so easily we have to find it and put it back on her about once a week, we mostly use it for the bell since she is a trouble maker and we like to know where she is  :yelcutelaugh:

as for the cat door, I also have no clue but they sound pretty neat!
Owned by 13 rats 2 cats and 2 dogs

Offline SSTFLFPS

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 03:49:35 PM »
Thanks for the response.  It's reassuring to know they usually get it.  With the exception of my boy who was simply THE BEST CAT EVER , my experience is with kittens that either came home at the appropriate age and therefore had a chance to learn kitty matters or were still with their mom so I let her worry about teaching.  The times I found myself raising kittens, they didn't make it long enough to get to the litter faze.

Offline binkyhoo

• Posts Too Much!
  • I Kissed a Rat
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2011, 11:33:25 AM »
Yes. Like they said. I never had to teach a cat to use the litter box. Even my past little 5 week olds that I got way too young from a gal at work. Every 4 hrs I would pick them up and put them in the box. Took one day. Its just showing them where it is.

Offline SSTFLFPS

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 02:18:13 AM »
What would you do?

I am a sucker.  I have been checking CL still.  Find an add for a litter of male kittens.  I go and check them out.  Before I can knock on the door there is a  kitten on my foot.  SHE - again sucker - falls asleep in my hands and is tiny may be three weeks old.  I managed to convince them to keep her with mom another week, but I'm wondering if I should take her now.  The litter is the product of stray apartment cats.  A very nice couple feeds the strays, but are looking to rehome the litter for multiple reasons ASAP:

1. They are up to 17 cats coming to eat.
2. They live on a very busy street with high risk of kitten pancakes.
3. Mom has moved them twice and they're worried they'll wander to where they can't be found.

The reasons above make sense to me especially #2 and are the only reasons I'm willing to take her in so young, but now I'm wondering if the risk is so great that I should pick her up tomorrow.

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2011, 01:56:04 AM »
See, I've always found female cats to be awesome.  So maybe you got calicos or torties?  They tend to be nuts.  ;)

Seriously, though, I'd go for 2.  Male and female will complement each other nicely as they get older, and keep each other company while they're younger.  It's nice for them to have another kitten to play with, and to cuddle with, especially if you'll be at work or school for a good chunk of the day.  :)

Yes, I think a boy/girl combo would be great!  Two girls get weird, sometimes, but this sounds good to me.

Offline Winter_Whisper

• Posts Too Much!
  • Enjoy the little things.
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 05:23:36 AM »
What would you do?

I am a sucker.  I have been checking CL still.  Find an add for a litter of male kittens.  I go and check them out.  Before I can knock on the door there is a  kitten on my foot.  SHE - again sucker - falls asleep in my hands and is tiny may be three weeks old.  I managed to convince them to keep her with mom another week, but I'm wondering if I should take her now.  The litter is the product of stray apartment cats.  A very nice couple feeds the strays, but are looking to rehome the litter for multiple reasons ASAP:

1. They are up to 17 cats coming to eat.
2. They live on a very busy street with high risk of kitten pancakes.
3. Mom has moved them twice and they're worried they'll wander to where they can't be found.

The reasons above make sense to me especially #2 and are the only reasons I'm willing to take her in so young, but now I'm wondering if the risk is so great that I should pick her up tomorrow.

I'd say go get them! It's best to have human interaction at a young age with strays. Also, it's not like you can't get milk replacer forumla and feed them that for the next week. Good luck :)
Check me out on etsy! T-Shirts and keepsakes sold here :)

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Farrah120?ref=ss_profile