Author Topic: Teething kitten  (Read 1178 times)

Offline Livideum

• Posts Too Much!
Teething kitten
« on: September 12, 2011, 04:24:14 PM »
So my 5 month old kitten Livi has her adult fangs coming in and her mouth is really sore and it is putting her in a Really bad mood, anyone have any suggestions for making her feel better? It is hurting her so bad she has been growling and hissing and panting usually after playing with her toys because she chews on them even though it hurts  :doh: I have taken most of them away and put a couple in the freezer so she can chew on nice cold toys to hopefully ease the pain a bit.

Owned by 13 rats 2 cats and 2 dogs

Offline LotusWolf

• Posts Too Much!
  • Save a life, or two, or three. Adopt an animal.
Re: Teething kitten
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 04:43:22 PM »
All I can think of is a very popular suggestion, which is wetting a washcloth and freezing it, then seeing if they will chew on that to ease the soreness. Other than that, my cats (I've raised numerous litters) never really had any problems with teething, so I guess I just got lucky? If your kitty has any problems chewing her hard food, you can crush some of it and mix it with a little soft food. Too much soft foods though will mess with her belly and make it upset, also leaving you quite a mess in the litter box. Good luck an I hope she starts feeling better!

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 04:49:18 PM »
Poor baby! None of my cats ever had issues teething, so I never knew this to be a consideration...
Can you give cats infants or childrens ibuprofen? That might help ease the pain a little for her.

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 06:45:32 PM »
Sadly, cats don't tolerate NSAIDS all that well.  They're missing a liver enzyme, and the results can be terribly unpredictable, and even fatal.  It's extremely frustrating.

The cold washclothes are probably your best bet.  I was going to suggest orajel, but apparently, cats are sensitive to lidocaine, as well. 

Poor girl.  I hope she gets to feeling better soon!

Offline Livideum

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 04:03:55 AM »
Yeah it is pretty frustrating that cats can basically not tolerate any pain meds, I tried the frozen wash cloth but she had no interest in it, I did freeze a favorite toy though that she has been gnawing on a bit.

She is just a kitten of extremes, extremely snugly, extremely hyper, extremely grumpy and so on. She never just has that normal cat "Meh" attitude  :yelcutelaugh:
Owned by 13 rats 2 cats and 2 dogs