Author Topic: Bunny + Guinea Pig = OK?  (Read 3962 times)

Offline saphire316

Bunny + Guinea Pig = OK?
« on: September 05, 2011, 12:19:34 PM »
I took in a young rabbit and guinea pig pair and they seem very bonded. Their former owner had no clue about age and gender so I got them aged and sexed. The rabbit is three months old and male. The guinea pig is a month old and female. They seem to be very close so I've been keeping them in the same wire cage. Is that an ok arrangement?

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
Re: Bunny + Guinea Pig = OK?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 12:57:58 PM »
from what I understand both creatures have different caging and feeding needs. Plus, they are still young and not fully mature yet. Once they reach maturity hormones may cause problems, including fighting and death.

They may get along now, but that is not full proof. I would suggest housing them in different enclosures and if they are in fact bonded having very supervised play times.

(oh, I'm not sure about the piggy, but the bunny should be fixed at the appropriate age... I really don't know much about guinea pigs, other then basic caging and dietary needs)
Love the Creatures. Love the baby. Love the life.

Offline saphire316

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 01:03:47 PM »
Ok. When I tried having them in separate cages though they went wild. Bunny was destroying his cage and guinea was having (best way to describe it) a panic attack. I'm getting them spayed neutered asap since I will not be subjecting them to breeding and I plan on being their forever home :)

Offline htsr4

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 01:10:36 PM »
They need to be kept separate.
http://www.guineapigcages.com/rabbits.htm

They should eventually calm down. You can also get another rabbit and another guinea pig (guinea pigs actually need to be in pairs just like rats). That may help them calm down.

Offline saphire316

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 01:31:31 PM »
 :doh: thank you for the link. I'll be getting them separate cages and some companions asap.. most of the stuff I read said that as long as the rabbit had plenty of running time and you fed them separately they would be fine  :-\

Offline Emymoo

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 01:26:32 PM »
FYI, the rabbit needs to be fixed ASAP. Unneutered rabbits are very pissy things from what I understand. Also, rabbits need to be introduced slowly and carefully, and generally the companion needs to be of the opposite sex. Do you have a rabbit rescue near you? The best way to find a companion is to take your rabbit on "dates", which rabbit rescues let you do.

I don't have any experience with guinea pigs, but guinea pig lynx is a good forum for info on them.
The dogs: Sara and Lola. The kitties: Emy and Molly
Rest in peace my sweeties
 Bella, Riley, Fuzz, Juno and Frederick <3

Offline saphire316

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 01:33:29 PM »
I'm getting them fixed once I can secure an appointment. I'm looking for my guinea first because she is stressed out when she is without her bunny. I was hoping to get her and her companion settled then look for a spayed girl (double protection :3 ) bunny for him. Thank you (everyone) for the advice by the way :D

Offline JessicasZooCrew

• My blog
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 08:30:21 PM »
Can't get the quote to work. Anyway, rabbits are not "pissy animals"??? I am working on getting everyone spayed and neutered for health reasons (I have 12 rabbits of various ages). They do go through a tempermental teenage stage but it doesn't last long. I would never let males play together, and never keep unaltered rabbits together, but have always been able to have my girls out for play time together. Once neutered, I have met male pairs that get along fantastically as well.

I would not allow cavies and rabbits to live together. They have different feeding needs - cavies need loads of vit c for one. Rabbit kicks are storng and could kill a cavy. I wouldn't even let them have floor time together.

I have sucessfully kept male cavy pairs and trios and fostered 6 sows that all lived peacefully together. I have also seen sucessful neutered male/whole female pairs/trios.

My altered rabbits are more cuddly but my not yet speutered buns are very sweet to. It's very beneficial for the does to be spayed. Honestly, I know studies have supposedly proven that altered bunnies live longer, but mine usually live to be 8-10 years old no matter what (I did have one, my first bunny, Charlie, live to be 11). I never had a cavy live past 6, and most passed away closer to 5.
~~Jessica And Crew~~

Offline saphire316

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 08:35:39 PM »
Health reasons in my case means no babies will ever come from him.

Offline zenia

• Posts Too Much!
    • DeviantART
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 10:50:23 PM »
When I was a kid, we housed our rabbits and guinea pig in the same pen. It was HUGE and they got along very well for their entire lives. Some reading says not to do it... but that long ago, we didn't have access to Internet pages that said these things and nothing ever went wrong for us.

(one male guinea and two female rabbits are what we had)

Offline kerri.howard

• Posts Too Much!
  • lap rats, Pete and Ross.
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 11:10:24 AM »
I have been experimenting with this... my bunny and gpiggie LOVE each other, and I've had them in the same big cage for a few days now. I am still wary, and check on them constantly, but they both seem much happier together. Bunny grooms gpiggie... I am worried about the kicks, but Leo (Bunny) is very calm and gentle.
Currently enjoying the company of Daario, Zuca, Groot, Rachel, Phoebe, Einstein, Breadstick, and Charlie.

Offline Lace_and_Buttons

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 10:35:56 AM »
I'd be really concerned about their different nutritional requirements, on top of the various other good reasons to keep them separated. How are you going to make sure the guinea pig is eating what its supposed to and getting the vitamin C it needs, while also making sure that the rabbit doesn't eat the guinea pig's food (which could make it sick, rabbits don't need those levels of vitamin C). Personally, if you want companions for your guinea pig and rabbit, I would get them companions of their same species. Guinea pigs should always be in pairs.
Taking care of animals is a full time, fulfilling duty, and I wouldn't have it any other way. AR Rescue and Sanctuary: http://www.facebook.com/pages/All-Rodents-AR-Rescue-and-Sanctuary/268227383214728

Offline kerri.howard

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 11:53:13 AM »
I do take them out and make sure they get some separate feeding time each day. What kind of food do you feed your gpiggie? Here in Mexico people aren't as fastidious about pet food and they just told me to feed him what I fed the rabbit, which he eats. And I give him fruits whenever I have them. Pre-made pet foods here are incredibly expensive (aside from rabbit pellets) so I am wondering if there is a Suebee's version for gpiggies.

(also, I agree he would do better with a gpiggie companion... but he was alone at the store. how late is too late to do intros with males?)
Currently enjoying the company of Daario, Zuca, Groot, Rachel, Phoebe, Einstein, Breadstick, and Charlie.

Offline Lace_and_Buttons

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 12:02:39 PM »
It's never too late to do intros, if you do them properly, you've just got to make sure (especially with males) that they have plenty of space and two of everything (hides, food dishes, water bottles, etc.). Introduce them in neutral territory, like a bathroom or something like that, and then either a new cage or one that has been thoroughly cleaned/rearranged so it's unfamiliar to the guinea pig. Then keep an eye on them and make sure they get along. This process can take several weeks or a couple months.

Guinea pigs need a lot of vitamin C. I don't currently have any (I run a rescue and get them in fairly frequently), but I feed either Oxbow guinea pig pellets or KMS Hayloft pellets, both are good and have a lot of vitamin C, which you won't see in rabbit pellets. If you can't find a good guinea pig pellet for a reasonable price, you'll want to supplement your guinea pig's diet with Vitamin C, which can come in either liquid form (which you can mix in their food or put in their water, though guinea pigs tend to drink less water with it since it tastes weird so I wouldn't recommend putting it in their water) or tablet form for guinea pigs. That'll make a big difference because guinea pigs can't synthesize vitamin C and so it's crucial to their diet and health. You can also research which vegetables have a lot of vitamin C in them and feed those to him.
Taking care of animals is a full time, fulfilling duty, and I wouldn't have it any other way. AR Rescue and Sanctuary: http://www.facebook.com/pages/All-Rodents-AR-Rescue-and-Sanctuary/268227383214728

Offline kerri.howard

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 01:26:08 PM »
thank you! he will probably get lots of fresh veggies, i'll try to pick out the ones with the most V C. i'll be on the lookout for a buddy for him, too...

another question-- he was clean when i got him, but he doesn't seem to be grooming himself now. he's a little thing, maybe 8 inches long. i have been wiping him off, but wasn't sure why he's not grooming? any thoughts?

Offline Lace_and_Buttons

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 01:53:03 PM »
Is this a recent thing? Is it possible that it may be related to him being housed with a rabbit? Is he showing any symptoms of lethargy or sickness?

If he's not grooming himself, you can give him a bath about once a month or as needed. Male guinea pigs especially have pretty involved grooming needs. Their ears, grease glands and anus should be checked frequently and cleaned during the routine monthly bath. Guinea pig males are prone to impacted fecal matter and may need help keeping that area clean and unobstructed.

Offline kerri.howard

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2012, 03:51:23 PM »
It started a few days after I brought him home, before I put him in with the rabbit at all. it's like he just pees and sits in it and doesn't try to clean himself. He's eating and running around fine otherwise. He is pretty small... like maybe it's hard to reach his rear? But then I don't know why he was clean from the store... it's strange.

thanks again for all of the food tips. do you think rabbit food + vitamin C rich fruits and veggies would do the trick? i looked at food... like i said, it's stupid expensive and it didn't look that great. I usually have mangos, apples, bananas, and/or strawberries around-- are those suitable supplements?

Offline Lace_and_Buttons

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
As far as that goes, I'd switch to fleece bedding, that way the urine is wicked away from him and he'll stay dry. You can cut a couple layers of fleece to fit his cage, and put towels or newspaper underneath it. You wash the fleece several times beforehand and so the moisture will pass through it (don't use dryer sheets or fabric softener). That should help immensely with keeping him and the cage clean, and it's cheaper for you.

You want to SEVERELY limit fruit intake, it has a lot of sugar and shouldn't be part of their main diet, but an occasional treat. Some good veggies to feed that contain a lot of vitamin C are: fresh parsley, kale, mustard greens, broccoli, and you can feed an occasional peeled section of orange as a treat.

For both rabbits and guinea pigs, greens should be a daily part of their diet. Guinea pigs here get a cup or so of fresh veggies a day and rabbits get 1-2 cups.

Offline kerri.howard

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2012, 11:45:25 PM »
thank you!

they have fleece now, but i'll put some more in and see if it helps.

and i'l keep the fruit to a treat, and keep giving them greens (which, luckily, I eat a lot of too =) )

I really appreciate the help. I've been a "rat person" for so long that I'm kind of out of practice with other animals, so I am really glad this forum exists!