Author Topic: Which wheel for my rats?  (Read 268 times)

Offline parentologist

Which wheel for my rats?
« on: September 05, 2011, 01:23:53 PM »
I have 3 female rats, 1 slightly large and two undersize.  We have a single CN.  They used to be non-chewers, until we threw out their lava ledge, we're definitely getting a new one soon, since they started chewing the cage.  They get bored quite easily, so I was wondering what wheel I should buy for them.  The two undersized rats are very active, and the larger rat is getting fat and lazy, even though she's on a diet.  I don't care about noise, their cage isn't in my bedroom.  I was also wondering about flying saucer wheels.  I saw some videos of happy looking bounding chinchillas on them, has anyone ever used them for rats?

Offline lovethefuzz

Re: Which wheel for my rats?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 02:27:02 PM »
My rats use and love "Wodent wheels". I think they're more comfortable with an enclosed wheel, and the running surface is kind on their paws. I like them because they're really sturdy and easy to clean, and they come in a couple of sizes for rats.

Offline Risika57

• Posts Too Much!
  • Dayton Coordinator for EARPS
    • Exotic Animal Rescue and Pet Sanctuary
Re: Which wheel for my rats?
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 04:15:32 PM »
I only have Comfort Wheels. I like them for the ease of cleaning. Nothing to really take apart, no mesh grid you have to scrub, rinse in hot water, wipe down, and put back in cage. Its great.

Down side to them, is they can get noisy, and they sometimes work their way of off the stand. I just check them once a day, and push them back down, if they have worked a bit up.

Stephanie Johnson (stephanie@earps.org)
Ohio Coordinator
Exotic Animal Rescue and Pet Sanctuary
www.earps.org