Author Topic: Fabric Material?  (Read 532 times)

Offline 0VT9

Fabric Material?
« on: September 09, 2011, 09:40:15 PM »
What type of fabric do you use for hammys, tubes, cubes...etc?  Cotton/fleece combo?  Just fleece?  I am wanting to make my own and was curious as to what fabrics you felt have held up fairly well.  Thanks!

Offline LotusWolf

• Posts Too Much!
  • Save a life, or two, or three. Adopt an animal.
Re: Fabric Material?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 09:52:11 PM »
From what I've heard, anti-pill fleece works the best. I've started making hammocks and they're just straight fleece. Can't say how much my future lil boogers will chew on them though. That's a big factor in how long they will hold up or last.

Offline hannahsloas

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 09:56:19 PM »
Cotton/Fleece. Cotton/Flannel. Fleece/Flannel. Which ever I find to match the best. When you make hammies, sew them, flip inside out, then put a seam around the edge. It will keep them from chewing as much :]

Pet's name: Cupcake

Offline ZeppelinLadyLove

• Zepps Thread Work Hammies
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 11:24:17 PM »
For my rats i like to get cotton fleece or flannel fleece. But when its hot i use cotton flannel. The fleece gets hot for them i imagine lol.

I use ribbon or grommets but a lot of rats will chew the ribbon. Which sucks because i think picking matching ribbon for your fabric is fun hehe :cheeky:
http://zeppsthreadworkhammies.webs.com/

Owned by 9 rats, 2 dogs, and 2 ferrets<3

Offline blenderpie

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 11:23:05 AM »
I use flannel (joanne's is having a sale--or at least did a week ago) and fleece from the dollar store, I will have to say that the fleece is MUCH more absorbent. I think from now on, I'll save flannel for things that don't get peed on very much like hammocks or do a flannel/fleece combo. 

Offline ZeppelinLadyLove

• Zepps Thread Work Hammies
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 12:02:22 PM »
 :confused:For some reason my rats dont really chew or pee on their hammocks

Theyll just stash blocks in them haha
http://zeppsthreadworkhammies.webs.com/

Owned by 9 rats, 2 dogs, and 2 ferrets<3

Offline Nari Caution

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rats, the fanciest of pets~
    • Etsy~
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 12:26:43 PM »
My boys don't chew or pee on their hammocks either but mine are crochet with acrylic yarn. They like chewing on other fabric though which is why I tried the yarn. If they do nom a hole, its exceedingly easy to patch up and Its soft but holds its shape better than fleece as far as tunnels go too.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 07:48:07 PM »
I use flannel (joanne's is having a sale--or at least did a week ago) and fleece from the dollar store, I will have to say that the fleece is MUCH more absorbent. I think from now on, I'll save flannel for things that don't get peed on very much like hammocks or do a flannel/fleece combo.

Fleece is not absorbent at all if you are using most fleece you find - which is polyester.   You would have to be using a cotton, or bamboo fleece in order for it to be absorbent.