Author Topic: The rats of the Bananana household [super official thread]  (Read 7544 times)

Offline Bananana

• Posts Too Much!
The rats of the Bananana household [super official thread]
« on: September 13, 2011, 08:09:18 PM »
Okay, so I've been meaning to do this for a long time. I've seen a few other members do threads like this, where they just update the same thread whenever they have cute pictures or news to share, and I always thought it was cool.  Also, there's one particular member (*cough* simeonrun! *cough*) who always posts pictures that are completely, egregiously adorable, and I feel the need to retaliate. 

Okay then. Many of you are probably already familiar with my rats (and some of you may have even seen some of these pictures/descriptions before since I posted them on ratguide, but inexplicably didn't post them here), but here is their official introduction.  In no particular order:

Charlie:

Charlie (seen here with a soaking wet face because she likes to snorkel in their water bowl) is crazy.  And smart.  She's always the first to figure something out, whether that be how to climb to the top of the dresser or how to jump over the lovingly-constructed barriers we made to keep her safe during run-around.  She loves to make us chase her and, because of that, she has turned into a compulsive stealer. Earrings, paper, board game pieces, playing cards, socks - if she can carry it, she'll steal it.  She's also an obsessive runner. She runs so hard on her poor wheel that sometimes she detaches it from the side of the cage. During run-around time, she zooms back and forth all over the room, only stopping to investigate trouble-making opportunities. 

Despite her craziness, Charlie is super friendly and outgoing. She loves to be petted and she's extremely playful, often forgoing hand-wrestling for whole-body-wresting (she leaps onto me and tries to wrangle me into submission while clinging to my shirt.)

Lizard:

Lizard, oh Lizard - what can I say about you?

Lizard (more often referred to as Pizzo, Pizzard-mouse, little bear and platy-ratty-pus) is my heart rat.

After I lost my heart-rat-of-all-hear-rats, Sasha, I honestly didn't think I'd ever find another rat who touched my heart in the same way, but Lizard snuck in there and surprised me. She is the most laid-back lady rat I've ever come across (even though she's still a relative youngster at 10 or so months old) and she wants nothing more than to curl up draped over the back of my neck. We often joke that holding her feels like holding a beanbag or a water ballon filled with jello because her body is so relaxed.

She is quite the convincing beggar. Our main computer is in the rat room and when I'm in there, Lizard scrunches herself into the corner of the cage closest to me and stares at the back of my head until I take her out. She's quite dramatic about the whole thing. If given the choice, she would spend all her time on or near me.

Raptor:

Raptor is Lizard's sister and, like Lizard, she's extremely affectionate and people-oriented. She's almost pathologically licky (she licks so frantically and so enthusiastically that I honestly worry there's something wrong with her sometimes). Raptor is also the only female rat I've ever had who will allow me to scritch her belly. She really, really loves being petted and will rub herself on my hand if I stop petting her, much like a cat would. If I scratch just the right spot on her cheek, she'll go catatonic with happiness. 

Raptor is the drama queen of the group - squeaking over the most trivial of upsets (like when I try to take back some little trinket she stole from me). She's very playful. She likes to run up to me, wrestle my hand a little bit and then bound away. Her other favorite thing is sleeve-diving. She loves spending time curled up in my sleeve, licking me. Raptor also loves water. She spends all night splashing and paddling in their water bowl. We jokingly theorize that she is trying to replenish her fluid stores from all the licking.

Emma:

Emma is so very special. She just marches to a different drummer, I guess.  I didn't know it was possible for a rat to be socially awkward, but Emma most definitely is.  She just kind of loiters around the other rats, following them and lurking in the shadows like she isn't quite sure what to do with them. She always looks slightly bewildered, which is exacerbated by her constant swaying (you can't see it very well in the picture, but she has ruby eyes).  Emma's favorite hobby is chewing hundreds of tiny holes in anything even vaguely fleece-related:

Even though Emma makes fleece liners a challenging bedding choice, she makes up for it with cuteness.  You just can't be mad at a rat, no matter how destructive they are.   

Tyler:

Tyler is one of our two token man rats (they're neutered, of course, so they can hang out with the ladies). He's getting up there in years (he's almost 2 and a half) and has turned out to be a lovely squish. He's one of my best computer buddies and loves to cuddle with me while I work. He also likes to hang out with us on the couch while we're watching TV. He's really good about not jumping down to the floor (unlike some other rats I know... like Charlie....).  He has such a sweet, unassuming disposition. 

Toby:

Toby is our other old man rat. He is also turning into a big squish in his twilight years and he is my other best computer buddy. As sweet and mellow as he is, Toby has never been the brightest crayon in the box. He just doesn't understand some things. For example, he freaks out about things being stuck through the bars of the cage, and will attack anything that comes through (including fingers). He's the sweetest rat otherwise, but there's something about having things stuck through the bars that he doesn't quite understand. He also hates spoons. The first time we tried to give him antibiotics in baby food, he attacked the spoon like it was a hostile rebel force. He eventually got over it, but every now and then he'll revert to his old, spoon-hating ways. He recently got very, very ill, but we nursed him back to health and he's now squishier than ever. However, he's still very playful. He's a well over 2 years old, neutered male, but he still popcorns like a baby. He has to take a nap afterward, though.

As-yet-un-named berk girls:

On Thursday, we'll be adopting two older black berkshire sisters from a foster in Washington.  We don't know much about them yet, aside from the fact that they had a really rough start in life and they are ready to be spoiled like crazy.  We've tossed around probably two dozen different names, but we'll have to meet them before we can make a final decision.  Though my fiancÚ really wants to name one of them Megatrucks...

I'll update with pictures when I finally get to meet them!

Extra tidbits:

So there you go. That's all of them! 

When they aren't hanging out with us, they all live together in a DCN (soon to be a QCN when we figure out how to attach two of them together).  And they have their very own rat room!

Here's all six together (you can't see Toby, but he's under one of the sweatshirts) in the rat room:

Another group shot.  This one is after they decided that they should all go sit in the pan of their carrier (which we use as a litter box during run-around-time), and act helpless and trapped for no reason:

« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 08:25:01 PM by Bananana »

Offline rodentsrevenge

• Posts Too Much!
  • Proud mama of Rat Town!
    • Independently, yours
Re: The rats of the Bananana household [super official thread]
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 08:26:54 PM »
WHY EVEN LIZARD. WHY EVEN.

emma sounds so much like my dharma, because she's so awkward and just doesn't understand much of anything other than the wheel is super neat and food. i'll have to take pictures of the first fleece liners i made a few weeks ago. they are in a sad state that i feel would rival emma's masterpieces. though really, i hope you do put one up on your fridge.

also okay please name one megatrucks. i mean what even is that name besides horribly great? it just screams awesome. it would just set up the lucky rat for a lifetime of success and greatness.

megatrucks....megatrucks....megatrucks the rat.

Offline RattusNorvegicus

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 08:51:54 PM »
What an enjoyable introduction. :D But you.. you need to tell Lizard to stop. Just stop. Because it's not.. it's not. No.

Offline Bananana

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 09:00:45 PM »

Because... I DON'T EVEN KNOW:

emma sounds so much like my dharma, because she's so awkward and just doesn't understand much of anything other than the wheel is super neat and food.

That about sums it up. Emma understands three things: some things are tasty, some things are scary, and wheel. We had to get a second wheel so she and Charlie would stop fighting over the first one. And now we might have to get a third wheel because Raptor and Lizard don't ever get a turn.  And what about Megtrucks? And Megatrucks's friend?  What if they like running on the wheel? This is going to be a disaster...

Offline Bananana

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 09:12:09 PM »
What an enjoyable introduction. :D But you.. you need to tell Lizard to stop. Just stop. Because it's not.. it's not. No.

It isn't right, is it. And she's ten times more flagrant about it in real life. The worst is when she gives me uppy-hands. Her face is a form of mind-control. 

Offline rodentsrevenge

• Posts Too Much!
    • Independently, yours
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 09:18:17 PM »

Because... I DON'T EVEN KNOW:

NO.

That about sums it up. Emma understands three things: some things are tasty, some things are scary, and wheel. We had to get a second wheel so she and Charlie would stop fighting over the first one. And now we might have to get a third wheel because Raptor and Lizard don't ever get a turn.  And what about Megtrucks? And Megatrucks's friend?  What if they like running on the wheel? This is going to be a disaster...

what if you just got another cage and somehow finagled it until it connected to your other one and it was just all wheels all the time. wheel city. wheelville. wheel-a-rama.

Offline Bananana

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 09:24:24 PM »
what if you just got another cage and somehow finagled it until it connected to your other one and it was just all wheels all the time. wheel city. wheelville. wheel-a-rama.

That's a pretty great idea. When we finally get around to connecting the two DCNs, one side can be the wheel side, and it will have enough wheels for everybody! They'd be so happy!  The noise, though... the noise would be deafening. Like buffaloes. 

Offline rodentsrevenge

• Posts Too Much!
    • Independently, yours
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 09:28:04 PM »
.... is that really how you spell buffaloes? that is a weird word.

i'm trying to imagine what 58 1/2 wheels would sound like and i'm just really frowning deeply because you'd probably have to take to screaming at people in the house, so goodbye normal and accepted methods of communication. i mean, there's always smoke signals and morse code and whatnot. but i mean, as long as the rats are happy.

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 10:29:16 PM »
You're rats are all so cute!  :heart:
I've loved those Lizard pictures since you first made the thread about her introduction to cherry tomatoes.

I think Tyler is my favourite, and only probably because that is my fellows name,  ;)

Offline Bananana

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 11:54:03 PM »
I also want to include a little post about my past rats because I talk about them a lot (especially Sasha) and I wanted there to be a place where they could be remembered. 

Anyway, these are my past ratty loves (this is going to be long, so hold onto your butts):

Isabelle and Dora:

I had rats when I was a kid, but Isabelle and Dora were the first rats I had as an adult. My SO and I got Isabelle and her sister Dora from a feeder bin at Petco before we knew any better. Looking back, we started out doing pretty much everything wrong. We probably weren't even in a position where we should have had pets at all (two dirt-poor college students living in a 300-square-foot attic apartment), but we cared about Dora and Isabelle so much that no matter what bind we found ourselves in, we always found a way to get them the care they needed (I distinctly remember selling my guitar so that we could afford a particularly expensive vet bill). 

Isabelle (top picture) was a really chill rat.  She just took everything at a slower speed, like The Dude.  She was also really, really smart.  She once figured out how to build stairs for herself when a ramp fell down in the grotto-style cage we later built for them (she couldn't have climbed up the side, so she had to be creative).  She pushed bedding into a pile and then put a bunch of toys and hideys on top until she could climb up.  She had a really playful side, too, but never crazy playful. It was almost like she was just dabbling in playfulness - she was too proper to ever let herself go all the way into crazy-land.

Dora got her name because she was a fearless and energetic explorer. She grew up to be a gigantic tank of a rat who played hard and slept harder.  Her marathon wheel sessions were the stuff of legend, but her ratty-death-naps took a close second.  We would often wake up to find Dora on her back, all four legs sticking straight in the air and looking just like she was dead.  It didn't help that she was a sound sleeper.  She was our most troublesome medical patient ever - chewing out her tumor-removal sutures a record three times in a row after a single operation, even with constant supervision(we even slept in shifts so she would never be alone). The vet was an hour away, so we had to drive her back and forth four times in the span of a couple days, and one of those times was at 3AM in a blizzard.

Dora had a stroke when she was about 2.5 years old, and we thought it was the end, but she somehow managed to pull through.  She lost the use of her back legs, but it didn't seem to dampen her spirits at all.  She learned how to pull herself around like a little mermaid gymnast and was still able to play and explore like a maniac.  She lived to be over 3.5 years old and was a little terror right up until the very end. 

Sasha and Sofia:

These two rats were so very special to me. I don't know exactly what it was that made me bond so closely to them, but they will forever reign over a very special area of my heart.   

Sasha (top picture) and Sofia (bottom picture) were also feeder rats (again, this was before we knew better). We got them shortly after we got Dora and Isabelle. I remember thinking that they were kind of ugly, but I reached in to pet them anyway because ugly rats need love too. They both sleeve-dived right away and that was that.

I bonded with Sofia more quickly. She was always extremely affectionate, almost to the point of being needy. If the rats were free-ranging, she would follow me around everywhere I went like a little shadow. She was a great cuddler and a legendary boggler. As much as I loved her, I knew my love was reciprocated tenfold. She was just that kind of rat.

Sadly (but unsurprisingly given her background), she got a huge uterine tumor when she was only 18 months old. We had the tumor removed, but there were complications that eventually claimed her even though we and our vet did everything possible. Poor Sofia had to stay in an incubator at the vet for over a week, but my awesome vet let me come in and visit as much as I wanted. She even let me sneak in in the middle of the night sometimes.  I got so close to Sofia in those final days.  I was probably spending over six hours a day at the vet, just holding Sofia and petting her precious little head. 

I always loved Sasha, but I only really got super close to her after Sofia's death.  When she was younger, she was everywhere at once, always causing trouble. She still holds the record for naughtiest rat ever - Charlie (our second naughtiest rat ever) doesn't even come close. But after her sister died, Sasha got really depressed.  I started taking her out more and she must have decided that she liked cuddling, because she seemed to calm down and want to come out more often to just be near me. This trend continued until she had firmly established herself as my constant little buddy. She spent so much time making sure I was clean - I still feel all happy when I think about how carefully she'd groom me.

When Sasha got old, her need to be near me intensified even more. She spent most of her time curled up on my lap or on my chest while I was in bed.  She'd just fall asleep there for hours.   

Sasha lived to be over 3, and I love every moment I had with her. 

A couple more pictures of my silly little destructomaniacs:

We built them a beautiful castle out of string, boxes, TP rolls and an old hat, and they destroyed it within minutes:

Sadie:

Sadie was a homebody.  We seem to be unnaturally prone to having calmer-than-normal lady rats, and Sadie was no exception. She would crawl around for a couple minutes and then just fall asleep in someone's lap.  My SO used to take her out every morning before work just to cuddle with her.   

Penny:

Penny was my SO's heart rat. They had the same kind of special bond that I had with Sasha and Sofia (and now have with Lizard). 

Penny was a tiny little spitfire, and she was almost terrifyingly intelligent. If there was something she wanted, she'd figure out how to get it.  Penny and Sadie lived together and Penny absolutely tortured poor Sadie until Nina joined them and gave her an outlet for her energy.  Penny always wanted to play, but Sadie just wanted to sleep. Penny would constantly pull on Sadie's fur and bite her ankles, trying to get her to play.  Fortunately for Sadie, Nina was equally rambunctious and once she joined their group, there was harmony again.   

Nina:

Nina was a people-rat. She LOVED people. All people. She was never scared of strangers or loud noises or anything. As long as she was being petted, she was totally happy.

Nina had a metabolic disorder that caused her to be morbidly obese (like a Zucker rat), but surprisingly, she was completely healthy right up until the very end. She never had a tumor and she only had to be put on medication for a myco flare-up twice. She was just a happy rat, living her happy rat life and loving everything.

Despite her obvious obsession with food, Nina would forgo even the tastiest morsel if she could get attention instead. She was a true lover.

Offline MomOfJixi

• Posts Too Much!
  • Life is better with love and laughter
    • Canine Training
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 12:05:49 AM »
.... is that really how you spell buffaloes? that is a weird word.

i'm trying to imagine what 58 1/2 wheels would sound like and i'm just really frowning deeply because you'd probably have to take to screaming at people in the house, so goodbye normal and accepted methods of communication. i mean, there's always smoke signals and morse code and whatnot. but i mean, as long as the rats are happy.

Haha!  :yelcutelaugh: Very true  :BlueDumboSmileTongue:
"Love is a rhythm, free the music inside" -me

Mom to: 4 doggie kids, 10 rattie kids, and one gorgeous human girl

Offline Hippidy

• Posts Too Much!
  • aka Christy
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 12:44:35 AM »
Omg that ball picture!!! Lmao! I love when rats try to pick up things that are almost as big as them XD

Offline rodentsrevenge

• Posts Too Much!
    • Independently, yours
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 07:56:51 PM »

A couple more pictures of my silly little destructomaniacs:

still laughing! rolling around on the ground even. i also really do have the same plastic rat toy in the first two pictures. i have the white one and the red one. :3 eeee :3

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 08:06:19 PM »
I think I have that rat also, with the red hearts on it. My sister bought it for me at some weird trendy store a few years back.
I think our dachshund ate it.  :-X

Offline Bananana

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 11:04:09 AM »
Picking up my new ladies today! And possibly two fosters as well.

They are going to be so surprised that somebody finally came to take them home! Then they'll be even more surprised by all the amenities they are going to have.

I can't wait until I'm finally be able to hold them up so they can see their play room and watch the looks of wonder on their faces as I tell them "Look at all this, rats. All of this will be yours."

This is my first non-CL adoption and it feels pretty awesome. They are a little older (over a year) and what some might consider "plain-looking," but they are exactly what I was searching for and I already love them. It makes me so happy to know that they are finally going to be able to experience the happiness they should have experienced a long time ago. Their foster mom rescued them three months ago from a woman who was keeping them in a cardboard box, so they'll probably be pretty excited with their new digs. Imagine spending half your life living in a cardboard box (or god knows what else) and then finding out that you get to spend the other half of your life being completely spoiled.

I have about ten thousand names picked out, but I'm waiting until I meet them to choose the right ones.

Anyway, I have to leave to pick them up soon. I'm so excited! I'll probably wait until they trust me a little more to take pictures (I don't want their first impression of me to be the scary lady with the flashy box), but I'll tell you guys all about them as soon as I can. And maybe I'll be able take a couple pictures from a distance or something.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 11:06:07 AM by Bananana »

Offline rodentsrevenge

• Posts Too Much!
    • Independently, yours
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 01:41:33 PM »
megatrucks.

Offline Livideum

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 06:58:23 PM »
I hope you got them home safe and sound! My girls should be here any time now, I am sooo excited I haven't slept yet  :P
Owned by 13 rats 2 cats and 2 dogs

Offline erbusbee

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 10:48:08 PM »
also okay please name one megatrucks. i mean what even is that name besides horribly great? it just screams awesome. it would just set up the lucky rat for a lifetime of success and greatness.

megatrucks....megatrucks....megatrucks the rat.

/signed

Offline Bananana

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2011, 02:01:30 PM »
Okay guys, this is going to be a long one.  First, here's what I wrote out yesterday:

The good news is that I picked up my ladies and their two foster friends today and they are all incredibly sweet. Like, heartbreakingly sweet.

The completely unexpected bad news is that they are in pretty bad shape (especially the two fosters). They are only about a year old, but these poor things look like they are over 3. I don't know exactly what happened or how it happened or why it happened, but they are extremely thin, they are all horribly bloated and impacted with feces (like, worse than I've ever seen anywhere - a truly massive amount of poop is stuck in there), their coats are coarse and sparse, they were seriously dehydrated, and one of them has a bladder infection. I don't know how long she's had the infection, but I have a vet appointment (for all of them) where I'll pick up some clavamox for the UTI and maybe see what I can get for their constipation. I started them all on baytril and doxy in the meantime, since they all seem to have URIs in addition to all the other stuff (one of the himis looks particularly bad).

I've been working really hard to re-hydrate them and get some good food in them that will help put some weight on as well as get things moving in their little GI tracts. And it's working - at least for that last concern. I felt tremendously relieved when one of them (who we've been calling Cooper) made the biggest pile of poops I've ever seen in my life. Like, two or three tablespoons of rat raisins. After she did it, I could feel a noticeable difference in her abdomen, so that's really encouraging (before, I was worried they might have huge, oddly-shaped internal tumors instead of just being constipated - that's how bad it was).

Anyway, I definitely wasn't expecting this (I adopted them from a long-time GM member who said they were completely healthy), but I'm glad that they are with me now and getting the care they need. It's going to be a long, bumpy road nursing them back to health, but here goes nothing!

I'll keep everyone updated on their progress.

Okay, I'll post an update as of this morning next (I want to keep the posts separate for ease of reading in the future). 

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 02:28:21 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear about that! The poor little guys...
I'm glad that even though you are taking on unexpected bills/car that you are being so cool about it..

Every once in a while there are seriously bad eggs, even in communities like this.  :(

Offline Bananana

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2011, 02:41:27 PM »
Okay, now for an update:

They've been with me less than 24 hours, but they look like completely different rats already.  They aren't out of the woods by any means, but there is a really encouraging amount of improvement.

They spent all night pooping out the massive amount of waste that had built up inside them (they seriously all looked like they had megacolon and/or huge internal tumors).  Today, there are no more hard lumps in their bellies and they are no longer bloated. I can really see how skinny they are now, though.  All that poop was filling them out.  Fortunately, they've been eating like starving pigs.  They've been getting all different kinds of baby food, oatmeal, avocado, yogurt, sunflower seeds, lab blocks softened in water (we do that for our oldies and sickies so they'll eat more and won't choke), little pieces of a Berries GoMega Odwalla bar (for the omega 3's and vitamin E), cherry tomatoes, strawberries, lettuce and banana.  I started them all on Baytril and doxy and put them in a cage with a heating pad under one corner. 

These rats are extremely sweet. They are all just the neediest little things, constantly begging to come out and be with us.

And we now have names for all of them!  None of which are the names we originally picked out.

Black berk #1 is Murphy.  Murphy is probably the strongest of the four and is already showing signs of being a little troublemaker. She gets into everything!  I don't even want to know how mischievous she's going to be when she feels better. 

Black berk #2 is Elliot.  Elliot is the one with the bladder infection.  She doesn't feel very well right now, but she has been perking up a bit and is also trying her hardest to get into trouble. She and her sister make a wicked little team.  I have discovered that Elliot really likes to sit on my shoulder and groom my ears and face.  She is not gentle at all, but she means well.  Elliot is the lucky recipient of the middle name Megatrucks.  She just looks like an Elliot Megatrucks. 

Himi #1 is Cooper. Cooper was probably the worst health-wise, though her sister might be just as bad.  She was by far the most bloated and her URI is pretty bad.  She's also missing all the hair on her front legs for some reason and has a bald patch on her back.  But today.... she isn't even bloated anymore (after making two or three more piles of poo that were just as massive as the first) and her breathing is a bit better.  She is very needy.  She spends all her time clinging to the cage begging to come out. 

Himi #2 is Millie (short for Millicent).  Millie was almost as bad as Cooper.  Her URI is worse, but she didn't have the same amount of bloating.  Millie is the smallest and most docile.  She seems to have claimed my SO as her own and I think he is getting pretty attached to her already.  She spends a lot of time curled up on his chest or shoulder. 

I'm so happy that these ladies are looking better today. We'll probably end up keeping all four of them, as I don't want to even think about adopting out the himis when they are this unhealthy (plus, I think my SO would kill me if I tried to rehome Millie - he really likes her) and who knows how old they actually are. 

I have a vet appointment today at 4:30 so I can get them all checked out.  I'll update again when I get home. 

Offline hannahsloas

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2011, 02:45:55 PM »
Good lord, props to you for taking on this big of a problem. Give them all kisses and scritches for me. They all sound like blessings. :3
And I love Elliot Megatrucks. Great name ;D

Pet's name: Cupcake

Offline Bananana

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2011, 02:48:27 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear about that! The poor little guys...
I'm glad that even though you are taking on unexpected bills/car that you are being so cool about it..

Every once in a while there are seriously bad eggs, even in communities like this.  :(

Thank you.  It's definitely much more than I planned on, but I'm just glad they're safe.  It's also fortunate that I have a great vet. 

I don't know exactly what happened with their former situation. The woman who I adopted them from sounded really knowledgeable and experienced and she obviously cared enough about them to help transport them to Livideum (the other adopter) and I, but... they are really, really bad.   

Part of me wants to believe that she was honestly trying to do right by them, but maybe had the wrong idea about what's healthy for rats.  I don't know.  I really can't wrap my head around any of this right now. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 02:52:20 PM by Bananana »

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2011, 03:13:41 PM »
Himi #1 is Cooper. Cooper was probably the worst health-wise, though her sister might be just as bad.  She was by far the most bloated and her URI is pretty bad.  She's also missing all the hair on her front legs for some reason and has a bald patch on her back. 

The missing hair sounds like someone is barbering her, so that in and of itself shouldn't really be a health concern.
It's encouraging to hear that they are already showing so much improvement. Good luck at the vet!

Offline Bananana

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2011, 03:21:07 PM »
Himi #1 is Cooper. Cooper was probably the worst health-wise, though her sister might be just as bad.  She was by far the most bloated and her URI is pretty bad.  She's also missing all the hair on her front legs for some reason and has a bald patch on her back. 

The missing hair sounds like someone is barbering her, so that in and of itself shouldn't really be a health concern.
It's encouraging to hear that they are already showing so much improvement. Good luck at the vet!

Oh good. That's what I thought, but I've never had a barberer (barber??) before.  At least not that bad. Charlie will sometimes barber just a tiny bit, but she more just dabbles in it. Whoever has been barbering Cooper is way more serious about their hobby.