Author Topic: Picky eater!  (Read 559 times)

Offline pixiebells

Picky eater!
« on: September 22, 2011, 05:59:48 PM »
So my wonderful cat is recovering from a UTI and the vet said we have to switch him over to a wet food diet. He loves it when it's freshly opened. My problem is feeding him the rest of the can after its been in the fridge. We've tried warming it up, which does help sometimes, but he's still being picky. Maybe this is okay though because he does need to loose 4 pounds. Do any of you have any input on this or advice on feeding picky eaters?

Also, are there any good canned foods that help with weight loss?

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: Picky eater!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 10:03:27 PM »
Have you tried buying the smaller cans?  Not all foods come in the smaller ones, but you can usually find some decent ones.  Also, if you reheat it, try adding a little bit of water to it.  The microwave tends to dry things out. 

You may find that he'll naturally lose some weight when he starts eating the canned food because it's usually higher in protein and lower in carbs, which is more like the way cats are supposed to eat.  In that respect, you just want to try to avoid foods with added grains.  I know a lot of people like Taste of the Wild for that.  And it might just give him some different flavors he might like more.  :)

Offline Rzrwyre

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Picky eater!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 08:27:11 PM »
My cats would always have prefered being fed less amount more often and NOT refrigerating it.  I have to just buy the tiny ones.  I've tried all the heating, etc.  just a thought.  - Raaz.