Author Topic: How far along...?  (Read 8870 times)

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
Re: How far along...?
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2011, 11:41:47 AM »
For what it's worth, of the three litters I've raised, only 2 of the Mum's showed.
Baker (the one who didn't) only had 8 pups, so maybe it will be a smallish litter!

The other two (who looked like they may explode at any minute) had 14 and 16 babies.

Offline Sailorgrrl

« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2011, 04:35:47 PM »
Yes, my fingers and toes are totally crossed for a small litter. I have a student that I may have talked into taking a pair... it would be so nice to be able to place the bubs. Of course, they'll always have a home with me if that's what it comes to (I ordered those new cages just in time), but it would be nice if they could be the center of attention.

This afternoon, I noticed that Evie has a little sniffle that wasn't there this morning... what can I give her? I have echinacea drops -- are they safe? I don't want to rush her onto ABs right away, but of course I don't want her to be sick, either. Her tank is clean and there is no ammonia smell, so I don't think that's it...  ???

Offline Sailorgrrl

« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2011, 06:07:18 PM »
For what it's worth, of the three litters I've raised, only 2 of the Mum's showed.
Baker (the one who didn't) only had 8 pups, so maybe it will be a smallish litter!

The other two (who looked like they may explode at any minute) had 14 and 16 babies.
There's absolutely no doubt she is pregnant... We were snuggling together on my bed and I saw her sides move. At first I thought it was just her breathing, but then I realized it was irregular, like in Alien! How much longer now before she delivers if I can see them moving?

Offline Siana

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spotty bum!
    • Ratclub.org
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2011, 06:19:53 PM »
If you see movement, it usually means she's close, so probably a day or so. 

I've never seen moving with my rescue mums, but I saw a video of a mother to be where her stomach was moving.  Was pretty freaky looking!  Definitely made me think of Alien too. :)

Offline Sailorgrrl

« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2011, 06:24:18 PM »
Ack! I can't stand the suspense!   :hyper:

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2011, 06:57:33 PM »

I've never seen moving with my rescue mums, but I saw a video of a mother to be where her stomach was moving.  Was pretty freaky looking!  Definitely made me think of Alien too. :)

Are you talking about the video of Lilith?

If you are seeing movement, you should try feeling it.  Put the flats of your fingers on her sides, hold your breath adn wait.  If the movements are all relaxed and lazy then it could be 48 hours, if they are much more frantic, and active then you likely have 12 hours or so before birth.  I have lucked out and had quite a few very gentle girls here give birth so I have been able to feel and see these things :)

Offline jonahsmom

« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2011, 07:04:41 PM »
Oh my goodness!  Oh my goodness!!!!!!!!  I hope Evie's doing okay. Good luck to you and you're tiny little mama!  ***Crossing fingers for a small litter***

Offline BostonRatLady

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2011, 07:21:59 PM »

If you are seeing movement, you should try feeling it.  Put the flats of your fingers on her sides, hold your breath adn wait.  If the movements are all relaxed and lazy then it could be 48 hours, if they are much more frantic, and active then you likely have 12 hours or so before birth.  I have lucked out and had quite a few very gentle girls here give birth so I have been able to feel and see these things :)

Be careful! I tried doing this with Mia and got nailed, twice! She didn't break skin, but left bruises. But, it was a telling sign, since she gave birth not quite two hours later. Thankfully she's been much less grumpy since giving birth.

Pet's name: Gerald

My current rats: George, Pumpkin, Alfie, Valentino, Franky, Buddy, Olivia, and Dash

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2011, 07:23:34 PM »
HAHA well obviously only try this if you have a relatively sweet, and quiet girl.

Offline Siana

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spotty bum!
    • Ratclub.org
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2011, 07:31:55 PM »

Yep, that's the one. :)  I thought it might be your video, but wasn't 100% sure.  Do you still have the link to the video handy? 

Offline Sailorgrrl

« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2011, 07:44:58 PM »
Yes, I wouldn't mind watching the video myself! If you still have it, please.

Evie is very sweet and hasn't once tried to bite (as are her other two that I have - super lovely temperaments, if still a little skittish from having not been handled - they're getting much better about it). But I can tell you that she is NOT thrilled with me holding her up a couple of times a day and looking at her stomach, but all she does is wriggle around. She IS still a baby herself, after all! And I did put my fingers on her side, and the movements were very squirmy. I would say, very active, but not frantic? I've never seen "frantic" before, so maybe they're frantic! It was amazing how well I could see the movement once I realized what I was seeing. They were doing gymnastics in there.

Offline Bananana

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2011, 10:41:14 PM »
Oh my gosh! That's crazy that you can see and feel them moving! 

It's got to be close now.  Every time I refresh the page, I keep thinking I'm going to see an update here saying she finally popped. 

Offline Sailorgrrl

« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2011, 10:58:48 PM »
Yes, it was cool and creepy all at the same time to watch her sides moving like that!  I was surprised at how well I could feel them, too, just by putting my fingers gently on her side where I saw the movement. She did not mind in the least, so I hope that is a good sign for how she'll do once the babies are born. She was a little restless, but otherwise sleeping and bruxing next to me on the bed. She seemed to be having trouble getting comfortable (no surprise there!) and liked to be laying with her side pressed up against my pillow. We even dozed together for awhile. It was really nice, especially because she seems to have decided to trust me after all.

Y'all will have to teach me how to post pix in messages because I am such a noob! Can you send pix from your phone? I will post pix as soon as they are born. After seeing so many other people's babies on GM, I'm kinda psyched to have my own on the way!

Offline Sailorgrrl

« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2011, 11:20:06 PM »
New news! No bubs yet, but she's spotting (blood)... didn't I read somewhere that that means she's starting labor?

Offline jonahsmom

« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2011, 11:28:06 PM »
I just read this on the Rat Guide (you've probably already read it)

Spotting Blood

When birth is impending there will be a bloody vaginal discharge. This occurs a day before, or the day of birth. Often, with spotting, a litter can be expected to arrive within a few hours. Excessive bleeding is not normal. If your doe shows heavy bleeding call your veterinarian immediately.

In case you haven't read it...here's a link:  http://ratguide.com/breeding/birth/labor_and_birth.php

Offline Sailorgrrl

« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2011, 11:36:27 PM »
That must be where I read it! I've read so much lately that I can hardly remember anymore...

Well, let the games begin!

Offline jonahsmom

« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2011, 11:37:45 PM »
I bet you won't be sleeping tonight!!! 

Offline Lace_and_Buttons

« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2011, 11:46:05 PM »
Good luck, I hope everything goes well!
Taking care of animals is a full time, fulfilling duty, and I wouldn't have it any other way. AR Rescue and Sanctuary: http://www.facebook.com/pages/All-Rodents-AR-Rescue-and-Sanctuary/268227383214728

Offline Bananana

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2011, 01:10:37 AM »
Oh this is exciting!  I can't believe it's actually happening!

I'll be up pretty late tonight, so I'll be checking this thread obsessively for updates!

Offline Siana

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spotty bum!
    • Ratclub.org
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2011, 01:12:30 AM »
Good luck.  It's nice that she's so trusting - hope it continues.  It makes things much easier having a laid back mum. 

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2011, 04:19:05 AM »
Baby Lilith's alien video as requested...this was taken about 7 hours before she gave birth.

Offline Sailorgrrl

« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2011, 06:44:37 AM »
WE HAVE LIFTOFF!

I checked on her at 4am and there was nuthin,' so I went back to bed. My son has a paper route, so my husband and son were up to get the Sunday papers. At 5:15, my husband woke me up to let me know I am a grandmother! She wouldn't move away from them much, but I think I counted at least 8 rittens!!! That was FAST! Somehow I expected it take longer than that! She is resting now and feeding the squirmy, squeaky pile so I can't see anything. She did let me put my hand up to her and pat her head, although she was wary. She did not try to bite, though, which is awesome.

Of course, the paper towels are a little bloody and messy - can I change them out later this morning, or should I wait? I don't want the bubs on yucky towels, but I don't want to upset Evie, either. She didn't look interested in eating yet, but I will make her some scrambled eggs in a bit.

WOOHOO!   :wav:

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #72 on: October 02, 2011, 08:37:23 AM »
Give her some time with the papertowels...she's probably pretty tired.  Offer her some nice food to regain some of that strength.

Congrats to you and Evie. :D

Offline jonahsmom

« Reply #73 on: October 02, 2011, 08:48:12 AM »
Congratulations!  I'm so glad to hear that everything went well!

Offline Sailorgrrl

« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2011, 10:14:21 AM »
It's definitely 8!!!  Evie graciously stepped away from them for a moment so I could take some pix quickly. Could someone please PM me and tell me how to add pix to posts? I am not figuring it out at all.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 10:16:08 AM by Sailorgrrl »