Author Topic: Best Information on Rat Care for first time owners?  (Read 328 times)

Offline KW

Best Information on Rat Care for first time owners?
« on: October 22, 2011, 11:39:52 AM »
What is the best book, currently out there that I can easily get, for the first time rat owner?  And what are some of the good websites out there?   I am 'adopting' out two of my babies  to a co-worker and just want to make sure they have the proper information.
My Mischief Crew-Roby, Patches, Raffy, Blaze, Dude, Troubadour, Pipsqueak, Braveheart, Mac, Hopper, Frogger, Shekal, Pestilance, Trial, Tribulation, Beast, Mouser, Trina and babies (currently unnamed).  Remembering all those who are waiting for us.

Offline KW

Re: Best Information on Rat Care for first time owners?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 12:38:28 PM »
Also what is a good sized cage for two adult males, just need the dimensions?  They will get out to play and stuff but not all the time.
My Mischief Crew-Roby, Patches, Raffy, Blaze, Dude, Troubadour, Pipsqueak, Braveheart, Mac, Hopper, Frogger, Shekal, Pestilance, Trial, Tribulation, Beast, Mouser, Trina and babies (currently unnamed).  Remembering all those who are waiting for us.

Offline Vonda Z

• Posts Too Much!
    • Ratropolis: Life with Rats
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 03:29:50 PM »
I started with this book: http://www.amazon.com/Rats-Complete-Guide-Debbie-Ducommun/dp/1889540714/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319311840&sr=8-1 and I think it was pretty good - although I really should read it again after having some rat experience. It was definitely better than a lot of the beginner finch books I have read.

I also recommend the rat guide website which I found through links people have posted here for more specific information: http://ratguide.com/ - this site has helped me a lot.

I have always heard two cubic feet per rat, but I personally prefer to have extra space just in case you have temperamental rats or you suddenly feel the need to add a rat.

Offline loveforrats16

• Posts Too Much!
  • Dont Own An Animal If You Cant Take Care Of It.
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 06:41:42 PM »
I'm not sure about any books, as I learned everything from websites and here. Definitely recommend here. Otherwise, there's a few websites in my signature.
Yes, 2 cubic feet per rat is the minimum.
Here's a website that you put the dimensions in and it tells you how many rats you can have in the cage. Again, it'll tell you the absolute most that can, but it would be better if someone does at least 1 less rat then it says can fit.
Dont wait around for someone else to do something that needs to be done.
Adopt, Love, Take Care, Take Charge.

Informational Websites;
http://ratguide.com/health/basics/advanced_health_check.php
rmca.org/Resources/rmcafaq.htm
ratfanclub.org/firstaid.html
afrma.org/rmindex.htm
quite.co.uk/rat