Author Topic: Possible pregnancy in rescued lady rat - need opinions  (Read 24070 times)

Offline MaatAset

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Possible pregnancy in rescued lady rat - need opinions
« Reply #100 on: October 01, 2011, 11:45:10 PM »
She is light bulb shaped.. Did she eat a light bulb? lol

LOL This and Grimace.. I  :heart: this thread..  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline strangeduck

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #101 on: October 02, 2011, 01:54:59 AM »
She definitely looks like she's about to pop...although...I'm not sure how long Cthulu gestates.  Anyone else?
Owned by 3 dogs, 2 cats, 1 snake and 3 adorable rattie boys!

Offline Bananana

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #102 on: October 02, 2011, 02:22:15 AM »
So I think I may have just found some blood spots in Cooper's nest...

I'm not positive yet since it could just be porphyrin spots from one of the others sneezing or something, but I'm very guardedly preparing myself for babies in the nearish future.

I moved Cooper to the lower level of the DCN, which has been eeper-proofed. She's not happy about being separated from her friends, but she's settling down a bit and making another nest.   

She somehow looks less pregnant, though. Like, she looked crazy pregnant about 3 hours ago and now she just looks kind of pudgy. And when I was moving her down to the lower level, she didn't feel as... firm? I don't know how to describe it. Maybe I'm just freaking out.  Do rats' preggo bellies get less firm when they go into labor?

No matter how pregnant she looks and acts, I'm still kind of incredulous about this whole thing - like, I don't think I'll believe she was ever pregnant until I physically see eepers.  And even then, I'll be like "where did you get those?"
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 02:25:00 AM by Bananana »

Offline rodentsrevenge

• Posts Too Much!
  • Proud mama of Rat Town!
    • Independently, yours
« Reply #103 on: October 02, 2011, 02:34:06 AM »
dun nuh.... dun nuh... dun nuh dun nuh dun nuh...

imminent eeper alert!

maybe possibly. or maybe it's just pudge.  :cheeky:

Offline GhostMouse

• Posts Too Much!
  • Ghost, Mouse, and Buster. Together once again. <3
    • Rats. Rest well, sweet boys. <3
« Reply #104 on: October 02, 2011, 03:22:40 AM »
Do you think she could look less pregnant because you're getting used to her looking (and feeling) pregnant? Like, what was "crazy pregnant" to you earlier is now "Oh, that's what Cooper's like" ?

I have no idea, just throwing that out there. I've been following this and I'm so glad it's not a pyo!

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #105 on: October 02, 2011, 03:48:18 AM »
What have been her daily weights for the last few days?  The weights often tell the story.

Offline Livideum

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #106 on: October 02, 2011, 04:45:38 AM »
I hope Coopers doing ok (and you, I bet this is super stressful/oddly exciting) and we can both hope that if she is in fact pregnant that she is the only one of the girls that is!
I still am hoping for like .. weird gas or something...  :yelcutelaugh:
Owned by 13 rats 2 cats and 2 dogs

Offline ceopet

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rat love is the best love.
« Reply #107 on: October 02, 2011, 07:52:22 AM »
Did she have them?

Offline Melissaratmama

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #108 on: October 02, 2011, 08:23:20 AM »
Any babies yet??
Mom to : Percival the ferret, Maggie the dog, Sophie the kitten, and Gabby the cat. Holding memories of the many rats of my past ...

Offline eyohkay

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rattie Tattie Rescue
« Reply #109 on: October 02, 2011, 10:15:54 AM »
*chews off her fingernails in anticipation*

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #110 on: October 02, 2011, 01:34:48 PM »
Do rats' bellies drop when they are close to birth? I know tons of other animals and people do. That could be the reason she feels less round.

This is the best pregnancy thread ever. Hope she's doing alright!

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2011, 01:42:25 PM »
Yep they get a low down bulgy look...

Offline Bananana

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #112 on: October 02, 2011, 02:04:45 PM »
No babies yet.  ???  ???

She's nesting like crazy, but I haven't seen any more blood spots on the paper towels, so it could have just been a false alarm before (Cooper's sister Millie is still sick, so it's totally possible that it was just porphyrin from a particularly hard sneeze). 

This is just killing me, though. She HATES being away from her friends. She can smell them above her on the top level, so she spends all her time clinging to the side of the cage and spidering around frantically, trying to get out to be with her cagemates. Being alone really stresses her out.  While I'm awake to supervise, I let her be with her sister on the lower level, but then they BOTH panic and spider around trying to get to Murphy and Elliot.  It's heartbreaking  :(

Offline wickedrodent

• Posts Too Much!
  • "Its not always rainbows and butterflies"
    • Wicked's Crochet Cozies
« Reply #113 on: October 02, 2011, 02:36:34 PM »
I've been stalking this thread for quite a while. Lol. When/if she finally pops, you should totally use a cars naming theme. Lol. Cooper reminds me of mini cooper. Lol. Lots of baby name possibilities with that. XD Royce (rolls royce), Ford, Audi, Beetle/Bug, Porche, etc. Lol

Offline Bananana

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #114 on: October 02, 2011, 02:43:20 PM »
I've been stalking this thread for quite a while. Lol. When/if she finally pops, you should totally use a cars naming theme. Lol. Cooper reminds me of mini cooper. Lol. Lots of baby name possibilities with that. XD Royce (rolls royce), Ford, Audi, Beetle/Bug, Porche, etc. Lol

I've been avoiding picking out names because I'm still so skeptical about there even being babies in there, but I kind of like the car thing.  In fact, we very nearly named Cooper "Mercedes" (pronounced with a heavy Spanish accent). We also considered Portia, which is kind of like "Porsche."

If we end up going with a theme, I'll definitely consider it.

Offline Bananana

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #115 on: October 02, 2011, 03:20:15 PM »
What have been her daily weights for the last few days?  The weights often tell the story.

Here's what we've got (we only got a digital scale a couple days ago, so the first few weights are from vet visits):

Friday (9/23): 340
Wednesday (9/28): 390
Friday (9/30): 418
Saturday (10/1): 426
Sunday (10/2): 435
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 03:21:57 PM by Bananana »

Offline Hippidy

• Posts Too Much!
  • aka Christy
« Reply #116 on: October 02, 2011, 04:59:58 PM »
Besides the vet visits have you been weighing at the same time of day? Even if you aren't it does look like a very significant weight gain.

I can't wait until this mystery is solved. This is more suspenseful than any movie!

hypothetically if the babies exist they should be named after mystery books/movies/characters.

I hope something happens soon for all of our sanity, but especially yours Allie.

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
« Reply #117 on: October 02, 2011, 05:18:47 PM »
I know.. I can't wait to find out the outcome of this.. How long have you had her?!
Love the Creatures. Love the baby. Love the life.

Offline rodentsrevenge

• Posts Too Much!
    • Independently, yours
« Reply #118 on: October 02, 2011, 05:20:17 PM »
if there are eepers all up in there, i think they should be named after all the things people thought they saw in the x-ray tbh.

Offline Bananana

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #119 on: October 02, 2011, 05:29:45 PM »
Besides the vet visits have you been weighing at the same time of day? Even if you aren't it does look like a very significant weight gain.

I can't wait until this mystery is solved. This is more suspenseful than any movie!

hypothetically if the babies exist they should be named after mystery books/movies/characters.

I hope something happens soon for all of our sanity, but especially yours Allie.

Thanks Christy :) 

I've been weighing her at around the same time (within an hour) since I've had the digital scale. I'll weigh her again around 5:00, since that's when two of her last three vet appointments were (the middle one was at 2:00). 

I like the mystery books/movies/characters idea!  Nancy Drew would be a great name, as would Sherlock and Watson.

I know.. I can't wait to find out the outcome of this.. How long have you had her?!

I've had her for 17 days now! If anything's going to happen, it should be soon!

if there are eepers all up in there, i think they should be named after all the things people thought they saw in the x-ray tbh.

Cthulu, Alienface, Bubbles, Skull, Bunny, Florida, Storagedeposits, Blobs and Ovalshapes!  The perfect little family!

Offline rodentsrevenge

• Posts Too Much!
    • Independently, yours
« Reply #120 on: October 02, 2011, 05:31:38 PM »

Cthulu, Alienface, Bubbles, Skull, Bunny, Florida, Storagedeposits, Blobs and Ovalshapes!  The perfect little family!

you forgot It.  :poke:

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #121 on: October 02, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
I would say a few more days, but preggy moms are always in the business to confuse us :P

Offline K Rat1417

• Posts Too Much!
    • K's Kritter Kreations
« Reply #122 on: October 02, 2011, 05:33:30 PM »
Sherlock and Watson would be AWESOME!! I'm kind of abbsessed with the movies (Robert Downey JR One) and the books!
Btw i've been following this thread just not commenting (I've had nothing useful to say) and Hopefully something will happen soon!

Offline Hippidy

• Posts Too Much!
  • aka Christy
« Reply #123 on: October 02, 2011, 05:43:49 PM »
I see a Nancy Drew in that x-ray I don't know about you! You could name one M. Night Shyamalan for the unexpected twist ending ;) (or M. Night Sham-a-llama-ding-dong... which is what I call him).

If its a false pregnancy I'm going to start calling Cooper M. Night  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline cerulean.blue

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm up and dressed... What more do you want?
« Reply #124 on: October 02, 2011, 06:15:53 PM »

OMG, there MUST be one named Ovalshapes!  :yelcutelaugh: Storagedeposits is pretty awesome too!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 06:19:39 PM by cerulean.blue »