Author Topic: Possible pregnancy in rescued lady rat - need opinions  (Read 24408 times)

Offline Bananana

• Posts Too Much!
Re: Possible pregnancy in rescued lady rat - need opinions
« Reply #125 on: October 02, 2011, 10:02:48 PM »
Okay, this is gonna get weird, guys. Cooper seems to be oozing a bit of poo...

Please bear with my while I try to describe this and figure out whether it's something to worry about.

She's been asleep most of the afternoon lying completely flat on her stomach with her legs behind her (like a frog). I checked on her and I lifted her tail to see if there was any blood. There wasn't any blood, but I noticed that there was a very thin string of soft poo slowly oozing out of her bum.  Have you ever seen one of those black snake fireworks? Like that, but much smaller and poopier. And when she stretches, more comes out (she seems to be very tired and she's been stretching a lot).  She doesn't seem to notice the poo coming out.

Is this something that I need to worry about? Are pregnant rats supposed to ooze squishy poop? Has anyone here witnessed something like this? She seems completely fine other than being a little more sleepy and the part where she is oozing poop like a tube of toothpaste. 

I swear, ever since I adopted Cooper, I feel like I spend half my time talking about poop.  She just does it so often and so weirdly... I've never had a rat who poops this much.

Offline rodentsrevenge

• Posts Too Much!
  • Proud mama of Rat Town!
    • Independently, yours
« Reply #126 on: October 02, 2011, 10:12:31 PM »
i have no idea about the poop thing, but the stretching could mean she's hurting. poor cooper, stop that!

Offline Bananana

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #127 on: October 02, 2011, 10:31:50 PM »
i have no idea about the poop thing, but the stretching could mean she's hurting. poor cooper, stop that!

She doesn't seem to be sucking her sides in like they do when they're doing "ouchie" stretches, but then again, maybe there's no room for her sides to go inward  :-\  She does yawn along with the stretch most times, though.  To me it looks like relaxed, tired stretching. 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 10:40:31 PM by Bananana »

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
« Reply #128 on: October 02, 2011, 10:35:04 PM »
Maybe really bad contractions?  :-\
I'd probably be running for the evet, because I am full of paranoia.

Offline Hippidy

• Posts Too Much!
  • aka Christy
« Reply #129 on: October 02, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
Is it possible she has late onset megacolon? What color is her poo? Does it have any redish tinge to it?

Offline Bananana

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #130 on: October 02, 2011, 10:52:47 PM »
Maybe really bad contractions?  :-\
I'd probably be running for the evet, because I am full of paranoia.

She doesn't look uncomfortable at all, otherwise I'd be out the door already for sure!  The stretching just looks like normal, tired rat stretching (with the yawn and the little arm flourish at the end), but I thought it might be relevant since she's doing it a lot.

Is it possible she has late onset megacolon? What color is her poo? Does it have any redish tinge to it?

Oh god, I hope not. I don't think it is, though. When my vet was palpating Cooper's belly on Friday, he said he couldn't feel any obvious constipation (we wanted to rule that out as a cause of her distended belly, especially since she was so backed up to begin with), and she's well over the age when late onset usually crops up. But are smeezes a high risk marking? If she does end up having babies, will I need to worry about MC with them?

EDIT: the poop problems could also be due to the Clavamox she was on.  I've been giving her a bit of yogurt to help, but her poops have still been pretty soft and orange/yellow-ish. 
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 10:54:51 PM by Bananana »

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
« Reply #131 on: October 02, 2011, 10:55:06 PM »
Smeeze/Himi are really safe, I thought. A lot of reputable breeders work with Siamese, and they wouldn't otherwise...

Offline cerulean.blue

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm up and dressed... What more do you want?
« Reply #132 on: October 02, 2011, 10:59:23 PM »
Siamese is not known to be linked to MC. As far as I know, it's mostly a problem with the high white markings. I don't think you have to be worried about it. :) Hopefully the poo problem is just linked to the ABs...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 11:05:45 PM by cerulean.blue »

Offline eyohkay

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rattie Tattie Rescue
« Reply #133 on: October 02, 2011, 11:05:13 PM »
It's most likely the ABs.  Rubie had to go on Amoxy shortly after the Gemstones were born because for a URI and it gave her some super funky poos... squishy, smelly, weird shapes.  I gave her Bene-bac allll the time and it didn't seem to help at all.

Offline Bananana

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #134 on: October 02, 2011, 11:11:53 PM »
Well, I just checked on her again and it appears as though the pooing has ceased for the time being.  I took her out on the couch so I could observe her a little better and she's acting totally normal now.

I've heard that near the end of a pregnancy, people often feel like they always have to "go,"could that be what this is? Do pregnant rats poo and pee more often?  I'd imagine their poor little organs would get pretty cramped...

It's most likely the ABs.  Rubie had to go on Amoxy shortly after the Gemstones were born because for a URI and it gave her some super funky poos... squishy, smelly, weird shapes.  I gave her Bene-bac allll the time and it didn't seem to help at all.

Did her poops eventually firm up on their own?  Charlie had some squishy poops when she was on Clavamox, but it was pretty mild and she got over it really quickly after I started giving her yogurt. Cooper has been off the Clavamox for almost a week now, but she's still having the squishy poops.

Offline Sailorgrrl

« Reply #135 on: October 02, 2011, 11:44:39 PM »

I've heard that near the end of a pregnancy, people often feel like they always have to "go,"could that be what this is? Do pregnant rats poo and pee more often?  I'd imagine their poor little organs would get pretty cramped...

A combination of the two, perhaps... yes, the pressure of the baby makes you feel like you have to "go" a lot, so that, combined with the looseness from the ABs, probably contributed to poor Cooper's GI effusiveness. Plus, if she were starting to have contractions, she might have been laying there doing some pushing, which would have... well, you know!

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #136 on: October 02, 2011, 11:56:55 PM »

A combination of the two, perhaps... yes, the pressure of the baby makes you feel like you have to "go" a lot, so that, combined with the looseness from the ABs, probably contributed to poor Cooper's GI effusiveness. Plus, if she were starting to have contractions, she might have been laying there doing some pushing, which would have... well, you know!

I'm going with this theory, too.

I seem to always have the rats who get squishy poos on ABs. My least favourite thing, lol. Even with the yogurt, sometimes they seem to have issues with it. Unless it's unusually coloured, or she seems to be in pain, I'd really assume that it's the ABs.

Offline eyohkay

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rattie Tattie Rescue
« Reply #137 on: October 03, 2011, 12:30:03 AM »

Did her poops eventually firm up on their own?  Charlie had some squishy poops when she was on Clavamox, but it was pretty mild and she got over it really quickly after I started giving her yogurt. Cooper has been off the Clavamox for almost a week now, but she's still having the squishy poops.

It took several days, probably more than a week, for her poops to finally harden up and become normal again.

Offline rodentsrevenge

• Posts Too Much!
    • Independently, yours
« Reply #138 on: October 03, 2011, 06:52:27 PM »
how is miss pooper cooper today?

Offline Bananana

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #139 on: October 03, 2011, 07:40:02 PM »
how is miss pooper cooper today?

Well, she looks perky and happy, but still no babies. And her weight was down a little bit at her weigh-in today. She was at 435 grams yesterday and 426 grams today. 

If there are babies in there, I wish they would hurry up and show themselves because I don't think I can take much more of this worrying. 

Offline rodentsrevenge

• Posts Too Much!
    • Independently, yours
« Reply #140 on: October 03, 2011, 07:42:34 PM »
come on pooper cooper, reveal your secrets!  :poke:

Offline dolln

• Sometimes you should count to 1000 before posting
« Reply #141 on: October 03, 2011, 10:10:01 PM »
How long do you have until it can be ruled out that she is pregnant?   
Cheryl

Maddie and Molly

Offline Siana

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spotty bum!
    • Ratclub.org
« Reply #142 on: October 03, 2011, 10:21:15 PM »

Well, she looks perky and happy, but still no babies. And her weight was down a little bit at her weigh-in today. She was at 435 grams yesterday and 426 grams today. 

Did you weigh her at the same time?  While a drop in weight isn't that unusual, it's less common in the later stages of pregnancy.  If there's another loss tomorrow, it could be she's absorbing the babies. 

Offline MollyElizbeth

• Posts Too Much!
  • Baby Ratty!
« Reply #143 on: October 03, 2011, 10:39:38 PM »
I've been lurking through this thread as well.  I know you are super stressed Allie but I can't help but giggle a bit through this whole thread.  I hope Cooper pulls through...whatever she has/is. 

Offline Bananana

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #144 on: October 03, 2011, 11:18:06 PM »

Did you weigh her at the same time?  While a drop in weight isn't that unusual, it's less common in the later stages of pregnancy.  If there's another loss tomorrow, it could be she's absorbing the babies.

I weighed her at the same time, but I woke her up from sleep today for her weighing and yesterday she was already awake. She could have eaten right before yesterday and then not today.

How long do you have until it can be ruled out that she is pregnant?   

We adopted her on September 15th, so even if she got pregnant that same day, we should see babies before October 8th (23 days later). If not, we can probably assume she's either not pregnant, or that she resorbed the litter.

Offline Siana

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spotty bum!
    • Ratclub.org
« Reply #145 on: October 03, 2011, 11:38:38 PM »

I weighed her at the same time, but I woke her up from sleep today for her weighing and yesterday she was already awake. She could have eaten right before yesterday and then not today.

It is amazing the difference a big feed makes to their weight.  I had a girl on pregnancy watch, and out of curiosity I weighed her before she ate in the morning, and after.  There was a 21g weight gain after her breakfast!

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #146 on: October 04, 2011, 08:37:07 AM »
Let us know her next weights...a steady drop could mean reabsorption of all or some of the babies. Glad she's perky and happy while you are stressed and worried.   :yelcutelaugh:

Offline Bananana

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #147 on: October 04, 2011, 08:15:34 PM »
I've decided to start weighing Cooper twice a day (when I wake up and again at 5 PM) so I can average the weights together for a more accurate number.

This morning, she was 433 grams, and at 5:00, she was 426 again.  So no weight loss from yesterday, but no gain either. 

In other news, she made a gigantic, completely over-the-top nest last night.  She tried to pile every single thing in the cage into one corner.  She's lying in there right now looking very pleased with herself. 

Offline Sailorgrrl

« Reply #148 on: October 04, 2011, 08:22:42 PM »
In other news, she made a gigantic, completely over-the-top nest last night.  She tried to pile every single thing in the cage into one corner.  She's lying in there right now looking very pleased with herself.

:yelcutelaugh:   Pictures, please! Is she still *looking* pregnant, at least?

Offline Bananana

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #149 on: October 04, 2011, 08:28:30 PM »

:yelcutelaugh:   Pictures, please! Is she still *looking* pregnant, at least?

I'll see if I can get some pictures in a little bit. I need to go buy some batteries first!

But yes, she still looks quite pregnant.  I wince a little when I look at her because she looks so very pregnant and so very uncomfortable.  I had her out on the couch yesterday and she fell asleep all sprawled out on her belly. When she was all relaxed and pancaked, I could really see how far her belly expands out to either side.