Author Topic: Possible pregnancy in rescued lady rat - need opinions  (Read 24409 times)

Offline Wren's Ridge

• My Facebook Page
Re: Possible pregnancy in rescued lady rat - need opinions
« Reply #150 on: October 05, 2011, 04:12:49 AM »
Poor Cooper. I know how she feels though, 1st time mom, 8 months pregnant and feel and look  like I consumed a blue whale for dinner. Give her super scritches for me, God knows I could use some myself right now...
We had a rescue a while back that ended up being pregnant and went through alot of the same things you're going through with Cooper. She was in fairly decent shape, a little on the small/scrawny size but otherwise healthy. We had her for roughly 9 days when she started showing. Both my husband and I kept a really close eye on her and placed her and her sister in a single level cage with a high sided bottom pan and made all the necessary preparations for pups... It was a strange progression, steady weight gain that seemed to "plateau" for a day or two before picking back up, nesting off and on, etc... She finally started "grooming" around her nipples and sporadically nesting around day 15 and became very restless at the start of day 16. That was on a Sunday. My husband and I left for church and when we got home, we had 10 pink jelly beans waiting for us and not long after our arrival, she graced us with another two, totaling 12 little eepers. I know each rat's pregnancy and patterns are different, but maybe she'll suprise you here real soon. Either way, best wishes to both you and Cooper.
Love is many things...
Patient, Kind, Longsuffering, Forgiving...
It is not Cruel, Hateful, or Begrudged...

Offline cerulean.blue

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm up and dressed... What more do you want?
« Reply #151 on: October 05, 2011, 04:40:46 PM »
I was just going to second the request for pictures!  :poke: :cheeky:

Poor Cooper. She sounds pretty uncomfortable. I hope she pops soon!

Offline Eluin Gentry

• Posts Too Much!
  • Northern Michigan Rat Rescue Adoption Coordinator
« Reply #152 on: October 07, 2011, 03:39:06 AM »
Any babies yet?

Offline Bananana

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #153 on: October 07, 2011, 02:39:24 PM »
Sorry for not updating in a couple days! I've been busy and the news is pretty anticlimactic.  Prepare for anticlimactic-ness in 3... 2... 1...

There are no babies yet. Tomorrow will be 23 days from when I adopted her, so I can then be pretty sure she's not pregnant (or, if she is, that the pregnancy is false or she has started to resorb the litter). 

Weights for the past two days:

10/5: 438 grams
10/6: 445 grams

I haven't gotten a second weight on her today to average out (I've been weighing her twice a day, at the same times, and then averaging it because her weight fluctuates so much), but this morning she was around 440 grams, which is her highest morning weight.  Also, I've seen all three of her cage mates go into heat, but Cooper hasn't yet, at least not that I've been able to tell. 

I'm going to make a vet appointment for Monday in case she doesn't pop this weekend.  She's acting perfectly normal and happy, but if she's not pregnant, there's obviously something else going on and I want to get to the bottom of it. 

In other news, have I mentioned how much I adore this rat? If I haven't (and I'm pretty sure I have, but I need to say it again), Cooper is totally awesome, guys. She's so love-y and playful and, no matter what, I'm really happy she's mine. Every time I have her out, I find myself thinking "how are you so great? How did nobody else appreciate how great you are?"  It blows my mind.  /sappy little interlude.

Offline AlexP

« Reply #154 on: October 07, 2011, 03:04:43 PM »
Definitely keep us updated! Hopefully it's either babies and there's a nice, easy delivery with healthy babies and mom, or something that while no fun for either of you (or your wallet!) is treatable and not life-threatening.

Offline MaatAset

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #155 on: October 07, 2011, 04:22:39 PM »
In other news, have I mentioned how much I adore this rat? If I haven't (and I'm pretty sure I have, but I need to say it again), Cooper is totally awesome, guys. She's so love-y and playful and, no matter what, I'm really happy she's mine. Every time I have her out, I find myself thinking "how are you so great? How did nobody else appreciate how great you are?"  It blows my mind.  /sappy little interlude.

I know exactly what you mean!  Two of my current rescues, Saber and Isis, were just sitting in their foster home for MONTHS with no one adopting them.  They looked cute, what with their dumbo ears and all, but what really got me was how incredibly friendly they were.  The very night I brought them home, after a 2+ hour car ride, they were happily running around my couch, climbing all over me and my friend, giving kisses, bruxing, and being total love bugs.  It was absolutely beyond me how they could possibly have gone so long without finding a loving permanent home (or even how they ended up needing one to begin with).  Don't get me wrong, I love Mia and Lula very much too, but they both are taking a little more understanding and patience to come out of their shells and I could maybe see how a pet needing more work could take a little more time to be adopted.  I just couldn't understand how two absolutely adorable, extremely friendly, and perfectly well adjusted pets could seem to unwanted by the general rat adopting public.

That said, I am glad no one else got them before me ;)

Cooper, quit being a tease! haha  :yelcutelaugh:

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #156 on: October 07, 2011, 05:09:41 PM »
The averaging out isn't really accurate which is why we say once a day only.  I have done twice a day and it was insane the amount of different between a morning and a night weight, etc.

Offline Livideum

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #157 on: October 08, 2011, 02:51:36 AM »

I keep thinking the same thing about my girls, they are absolutely amazing! I think River might actually be hitting the heart rat status, I always try to not play favorites but the way she will just sit in my hands and brux and then 10 minutes later she is popcorning all over the living room (they all learned to jump off the couch to play in the big fun room  :P) Something about the 3 of them is just kind of different, and they want attention So badly all the time. All 3 will pull my hand in the cage and Gwen will actually hold onto it with her teeth if I try to pull it away before she is done giving kisses!
Owned by 13 rats 2 cats and 2 dogs

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #158 on: October 08, 2011, 08:20:15 AM »
How long have you had your girl now?  You started the post with a "obviously pregnant" girl 10 days ago.  She's only gaining about 7 grams a day still?

What is the total gain then?  50 grams?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 08:21:59 AM by lilspaz68 »

Offline Stacy M

• Posts Too Much!
  • Missy always in my <3
« Reply #159 on: October 08, 2011, 10:17:44 AM »
Today is 23 days since she got her so it is fairly certain something else is going on I think.

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #160 on: October 08, 2011, 10:20:01 AM »
Today is 23 days since she got her so it is fairly certain something else is going on I think.

Could be a phantom pregnancy...

Offline Hippidy

• Posts Too Much!
  • aka Christy
« Reply #161 on: October 10, 2011, 12:37:48 AM »
Any updates? How M. Night Cooper doing?

Offline betuana

• Moonlit Waters Rattery
« Reply #162 on: October 10, 2011, 08:02:44 PM »
Crossing my fingers here that its just a false pregnancy, and she continues to just do well and eventually just evens out. I've known of a few rats other people have had who have had false pregnancies - gained weight, nested, acted like they were going to pop...and then....nothing, weights drifted back towards normal, no problems for the mom, just no babies. Seems like that would be an ideal outcome for her, no babies to deal with, no health problems, just some weight gain!

Whatever happens, hoping that it turns out well for her and the other ratties! This long after getting her and no babies...doesn't seem like a successful pregnancy is likely, so a false one or just a weight surge would be better. We'll be watching for updates!

Offline Bananana

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #163 on: October 15, 2011, 03:10:58 PM »
Okay, so we finally have a verdict. 

Are you guys ready?

[drumroll...]

She's been faking the whole time!!!

We were finally able to get her in for an ultrasound yesterday, and the ultrasonographer couldn't find anything noteworthy whatsoever in there. No fetuses, no masses, no tissue clumps, no pus, no constipation. She just looks really, really pregnant because of hormonal abnormalities.

Our vet gave her a dex injection to maybe help snap her out of it, and he said she should return to normal within the next few weeks.

I'm happy because this is the absolute best-case scenario. I just have a crazy rat who thinks she's pregnant! Though it would have been fun to have babies, I'm really glad that's not what ended up happening. 

Anyway, thank you so much for all of your support through this.  It was a truly crazy few weeks, and being able to joke around about it a little with you guys and be reassured was so very helpful.  Thank you.

Offline Dragonfly

• Posts Too Much!
  • I ME MINE
« Reply #164 on: October 15, 2011, 04:22:49 PM »
I am so glad it wasn't anything serious!!!  ;D
Love the Creatures. Love the baby. Love the life.

Offline cerulean.blue

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm up and dressed... What more do you want?
« Reply #165 on: October 15, 2011, 06:22:09 PM »
I'm glad to hear that Cooper is okay!  :BlueDumboSmile:

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
« Reply #166 on: October 15, 2011, 10:45:34 PM »
Yay Cooper!
That really is a best case scenario. Congratulations.

Offline Siana

• Posts Too Much!
  • Spotty bum!
    • Ratclub.org
« Reply #167 on: October 16, 2011, 02:00:49 AM »
Well, she had everyone guessing, didn't she!  So glad she's ok. :)

Offline MaatAset

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #168 on: October 16, 2011, 02:28:32 AM »
I think Chthulu could easily evade an ultrasound.  Just sayin'.

Offline Livideum

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #169 on: October 16, 2011, 04:15:26 AM »
I think Chthulu could easily evade an ultrasound.  Just sayin'.

:laughing4:

Let us all pray that that is not the case!
Owned by 13 rats 2 cats and 2 dogs

Offline ceopet

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rat love is the best love.
« Reply #170 on: October 16, 2011, 06:16:54 PM »
Glad to hear everything turned out ok.

Offline Been to the Mountaintop

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #171 on: October 22, 2011, 12:45:25 AM »
I always thought LOL was just an expression, but my reaction to "Guys, I think my rat is pregnant with Cthulu" woke up my oldest.  I had tears coming down. I couldn't stop, and flip flopped between giddy laughter over "xray alien guessing games" to heartfelt sniffing over how much you have come to love her. It probably didn't help that I delivered one of my favorite fosters to a wonderful home tonight. Both an up and a down. After a long day in a car, and a spell without his water bottle because I didn't know it had come off, he ran to peer at his new Mom and Daughter with such an alert and cheerful expression. Chipper had his little hands on the bars, looking right at them and "smiling," and the girl said, "Mom! He looks just like Ratatouille!" And so he did. Except, of course, my 11-year-old pointed out in disgust, he is not blue.

You've given us a sampling of all the ups and downs of rat ownership and community in one thread. Thanks, I needed that. Sorry you went through it, though. Really, truly, LOL (sniff where are the tissues?)  :heart: :heart: :heart: 

Oh no another gale of helpless laughter when spell check did not recognize "Cthulu." I'm gonna die  :yelcutelaugh:
--Best, Mountaintop--

Offline Eluin Gentry

• Posts Too Much!
  • Northern Michigan Rat Rescue Adoption Coordinator
« Reply #172 on: October 22, 2011, 03:36:05 AM »
There seems to be a lot of that going around lately. My cousin has been waiting to see if her lab/rott mix was pregnant. She actually thought that the dogs water had broken all over her couch and that there would be puppies soon. Then a day passed. No puppies, no signs of labor. It turns out that the silly dog was just vibing off of my other cousin's preggy hormones and having a weird phantom pregnancy. It also turns out that dogs don't really have a water to break, so I'm guessing the poor confused dog just peed the couch. At least alls well that ends well.

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #173 on: October 22, 2011, 08:25:53 AM »
I went through a phantom pregnancy with an older girl...she was a former BYB's breeder (black rex dumbo girl #1) so I guess her body knew all about being pregnant.  She gained  weight, she looked pregnant, it was really freaky.  I got her spayed just in case there was something else going on, but there was no babies, no infection, nothing.   :doh:

Offline MaatAset

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #174 on: October 22, 2011, 03:18:59 PM »
How is M. Night Cooper anyway?  Has she started to go back to normal?