Author Topic: Possible pregnancy in rescued lady rat - need opinions  (Read 24392 times)

Offline Chaosbadgerling

• Posts Too Much!
  • Currently ratless
    • Aywas
Re: Possible pregnancy in rescued lady rat - need opinions
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2011, 12:36:49 AM »
Oh gods I'm not the only one seeing it.

Offline cerulean.blue

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm up and dressed... What more do you want?
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2011, 12:41:14 AM »
I saw those, but assumed they were just other organs cause I'm pretty sure she would only have one uterus.  :yelcutelaugh:

Actually rats have a Y-shaped uterus like a cat or dog, so the horns would extend to the sides.

I think what Sailorgrrl meant by the other two oval shapes were these, which I saw as well: *snip*

That's just... weird.  But yeah, I did see those, but was mainly just looking for obvious signs of babies/pyometra... which I assume wouldn't be up near her ribs?

The one on the right looks like an aliens face.  Just sayin'.

It's so they can have multiple births in one litter. From what I've seen the horns can extend quite a bit when full. The weird ovals could just be fat pads though. Like I said, I don't really know much about x-rays. I think it's also kind of hard to tell with the position she's in. :)

Critter Crazy... I see the skull too, but it's not upside down for me. Could just be we're staring at it too much...

Sorry for any typos or not making much sense. I'm tired and about to go to bed...

Offline eyohkay

• Posts Too Much!
    • Rattie Tattie Rescue
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2011, 12:44:42 AM »
Does no one see the alien?!  The right arrow is pointing at one of it's big creepy eyeballs and it's looking up.  Two little dots for nostrils.  Line for a mouth.    :eek:

Offline Bananana

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2011, 01:55:10 AM »
Oh my god, you guys are too funny.  I've gotten a few much-needed laughs reading through these replies!

I saw the ovals too. The one near her side could just be the boundary of her peritoneal cavity and the one on top of her hip could be a muscle, but then again, maybe not.  It's so hard to tell! I don't know what to think about the one under her leg (I asked the vet about it while we were looking at it and she didn't seem to know what it was either).  Cooper doesn't have any obvious storage deposits on her, but I suppose they could just be internal. 

HOWEVER, I think I may have felt something while I was playing with her on the couch.  She crawled through my hands and I could feel a.. thing... right underneath her last rib on the left. It was kind of poking out past the rib, so it didn't necessarily feel like an organ.  But, could be a spleen, could be a poop, could be a baby. Who knows.  Something's in there, though. 

Whatever's in there, I for sure see the creepy skull. 

Guys, I think my rat is pregnant with Cthulu.

EDIT: I totally see the alien. Things just got weird.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 01:56:48 AM by Bananana »

Offline Bananana

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2011, 02:05:44 AM »
Hm.  Was the vet at least able to discount the possibility of a pyo by looking at the x-rays?  On Ratguide there's an x-ray with a rat with a pyo which apparently shows a uterus full of fluid.  I've always been told you can see late term babies on x-rays, but now I'm wondering how accurate it is.

Regarding weight gain, it can be so hard to tell when you get in rats that were previously underweight in their previous home.  One  boy that recently came to me gained around 10g a day for over 10 days before finally slowing down on the weight gain.

She wasn't able to completely rule out pyo, especially since Cooper's leg got in the way right where we'd need to be looking.  However, if she's got a pyo, it's still relatively small. Nothing like the pictures I was able to find online (they all seemed like really extreme examples of it).

Trying to interpret weight gain is definitely difficult in this case! But if it helps, she gained about 10 grams in the first week (though that could be confounded by how much backed up poop she still had in her at her first weighing - she could have gained more body mass than 10 grams, but then lost poop weight) and 50 grams last week.   

Offline MaatAset

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2011, 03:05:27 AM »
I should totally post some of my MRIs on here to see what the experts here have to say about what I have in my wrist, leg, and lower back...  I really think you guys will be more informative than my docs.  I'm not really sure any of them REALLY know how to read radiology prints.

Also, I see a big giant letter "R".  Did she by chance have some Alpha-bits or those letter shaped spaghetti-os recently?  Cuz I think I'm onto a breakthrough now.

I totally see the skull now and cannot unsee it  :BlueDumboBigEyes:

Offline bleedingheart

« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2011, 04:04:58 AM »
I'm not quite sure if I'm entertained or terrified by her random abdominal skull... Also, I can see the alien too.  :thumbsup2:

Offline mariskamoon

« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2011, 07:59:17 AM »
I have had to have 3 girls spayed due to pyro and they all had some sort of vaginal discharge, either blood or a "slime" (sorry for the graphic language) so I would imagine if it was pyro you would, by now, see something else. Also I have had to have 2 girls x-rayed late in pregnancy due to 1 being past due and 1 gaining lots of weight, and then not going in to labor. Both had reabsorbed and nothing showed up on the x-ray. From what I understand the fetal bones do not calcify enough to show up on an x-ray. Good luck with your girl.

Offline Sailorgrrl

« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2011, 08:03:38 AM »
Does no one see the alien?!  The right arrow is pointing at one of it's big creepy eyeballs and it's looking up.  Two little dots for nostrils.  Line for a mouth.    :eek:

I see it! I see it! The end is near!

And if you think that babies can't be up near the rib cage, you've obviously never been pregnant!  LOL  My son spent the last month in utero with his right foot jammed up against my rib cage.

Offline ceopet

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rat love is the best love.
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2011, 10:16:27 AM »
I also see the creepy skull  :eek:

I hope this all turns out very well whatever is going on with her. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you guys  :heart:

Offline Favorite Kitty

« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2011, 11:11:53 AM »
Ohhh, Sailorgrrl, you said what I was exactly thinking when I was reading that they probably shouldnt be near her ribs. My ribcage even twanged a little when I read that! Ha!

Since everyone else is giving their opinion, I will add mine :) I have only dealt with cats, and lots of 'em, being pregnant or having pyometra. Most of the girls that had pyometra didnt want to eat, were lethargic (granted, different levels of being lethargic.), and just basically looking like yuck. How is her mood? Your girl really looks pregnant to me. Not just overweight, but pregnant. I also see aliens, ovals (CAN they be babies?), but no skulls.

;)
My hearse will be followed not by mourning coaches but by herds of oxen, sheep, swine, flocks of poultry and a small traveling aquarium of live fish, all wearing white scarves in honor of the man who perished rather than eat his fellow creatures.

~George Bernard Shaw

Offline Favorite Kitty

« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2011, 11:12:39 AM »
Ohhh, Sailorgrrl, you said what I was exactly thinking when I was reading that they probably shouldnt be near her ribs. My ribcage even twanged a little when I read that! Ha!

Since everyone else is giving their opinion, I will add mine :) I have only dealt with cats, and lots of 'em, being pregnant or having pyometra. Most of the girls that had pyometra didnt want to eat, were lethargic (granted, different levels of being lethargic.), and just basically looking like yuck. How is her mood? Your girl really looks pregnant to me. Not just overweight, but pregnant. I also see aliens, ovals (CAN they be babies?), but no skulls.

;)
My hearse will be followed not by mourning coaches but by herds of oxen, sheep, swine, flocks of poultry and a small traveling aquarium of live fish, all wearing white scarves in honor of the man who perished rather than eat his fellow creatures.

~George Bernard Shaw

Offline lilspaz68

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2011, 11:25:58 AM »

I see it! I see it! The end is near!

And if you think that babies can't be up near the rib cage, you've obviously never been pregnant!  LOL  My son spent the last month in utero with his right foot jammed up against my rib cage.

Actually there's 2 types of pyometra...the open variety where you get the discharge draining, and the closed which is much more dangerous, as they just fill up with pus/bacteria.

I weigh my rats and figure out if they are pregnant by a steady weight gain...you expect a big jump when they come to you neglected and starved but it usually tapers off within a week, whereas most of the gain for a preggy mom is in the last 10-11 days.

A few days before they give birth you can sometimes feel them moving.  I use the flats of my fingers on the areas just behind the rib cage or on the belly itself.  The babies will push out and retreat. 

I had another old girl who had an enlarged spleen, it stuck out o her side but i was able to push it back in but it didn't move like a baby would.  She was pts curing her exploratory surgery.

Offline Favorite Kitty

« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2011, 11:42:46 AM »
Are you sure its two different kinds, lilspaz? I thought there was one. If there was no discharge its because the infected uterus had not burst. If there were discharge it was because the puss filled uterus had burst from the infection already.

~George Bernard Shaw

Offline Kati33

• Posts Too Much!
  • Howdy!
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2011, 11:59:12 AM »
Lil spaz is right on the two kinds- the open has less of a chance of bursting as the fluid is able to leak out the cervix, where a closed one allows the fluid to build up and may cause the uterus to burst within the abdominal cavity as it stretches out the tissues.

I don't see much of anything definatively on that rad due to the horrible positioning of the leg. If it is digital I'd want to play with the contrast and if not use a bright light to try and see better- but really it is all about the positioning when looking in that region. Though reading all of your replies reminded me of the hours spent in radiology lab looking at films and trying to pick out random pathologies!
Kati33
Watusi, Charolais, Orca, Puffin, Sloth and Sifaka the Rats
Some dogs, reptiles and a husband...
Past Rats: Jag, Otter, Wolf, Frog, Bear, Moose, Emu as in Komodo Dragon, Squirrel, Turtle, Elephant, Ox, Opossum, Octopus, Okapi, Cassowary, Goose, Squid, Coati, Flamingo, Zebu, Bo(vine)

Offline Sailorgrrl

« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2011, 01:56:01 PM »
I see what you mean about musculature, though. On the other hand, if it's a ritten tucked inside the hip bones, it might seem to bulge upward.

And usually, with a bad case of pyo, the animal feels sick and is lethargic/not eating. There's not usually weight gain and normal activity. I would expect a rat to be in the hunched posture and puffed up, especially with pain in the abdomen like she would have with pyo.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 02:02:09 PM by Sailorgrrl »

Offline cerulean.blue

• Posts Too Much!
  • I'm up and dressed... What more do you want?
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2011, 02:29:17 PM »
Maybe I've just been staring at it too much between last night and this morning, but I totally see the alien now!

/not helpful 

Your vet appointment is tomorrow right? I hope your vet can figure out what's going on!  :heart:

Offline Bananana

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2011, 02:34:39 PM »
So no babies yet. She made another nest, though.  We cleaned the cage yesterday and messed up her former work of art, so she made another one. 

We put down paper towels like you guys said, but we still tried to use the fleece shelf liner so she would have something absorbent and soft underneath her.  Well, she pulled up the whole liner and balled it up in the corner, so it looks like that option is out (from what you guys have said, fleece is no good as a nesting material). Should I JUST put paper towels in there?  What if I make her a really low-hanging hammock (even one that touches the ground)? 

Offline Bananana

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2011, 02:38:56 PM »
Maybe I've just been staring at it too much between last night and this morning, but I totally see the alien now!

/not helpful 

Your vet appointment is tomorrow right? I hope your vet can figure out what's going on!  :heart:

Yeah, 5:00 PM tomorrow. And as far as I'm concerned, it can't get here soon enough. I'm hoping he'll be like "psh, she's just fat, you dummy. Try not to worry so much." I can hope, right?

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2011, 03:59:58 PM »
Fleece isn't recommended because of the strangulation/suffocation possibilities.
I totally get where you are coming from with the low hanging hammock, but if Cooper is anything like Elizabeth was, she will take it down, and then apart to use as bedding.

Much safer to just got the paper towel route.
I also put a layer of Sunseed paper bedding in, because you can't clean the cage for the first several days, and it starts to stink pretty quickly.
The best you can do is change out soiled paper towel scraps for fresh ones.

Offline Sailorgrrl

« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2011, 04:45:23 PM »
Much safer to just got the paper towel route.
I also put a layer of Sunseed paper bedding in, because you can't clean the cage for the first several days, and it starts to stink pretty quickly.
The best you can do is change out soiled paper towel scraps for fresh ones.

Would the Kaytee Soft Granule bedding work as well? I can get the Kaytee easily, but to get the Sun Seed I need to make a special trip to Petsmart. I have never used Sun Seed, so I don't know how it compares to the Soft Granule in texture, etc (I stopped using the granules because they just tossed it EVERYWHERE - worse than aspen!).

Offline strangeduck

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2011, 05:33:59 PM »
When I was pregnant with my daughter, she was looking straight out in the ultrasound picture, and looked like a demon...but she was born 12 years ago, and so far she hasn't possessed anyone's soul or sacrificed any animals or babies or anything.  I am only telling you this so you don't have be afraid of the demon your rat may or may not be gestating.
Owned by 3 dogs, 2 cats, 1 snake and 3 adorable rattie boys!

Offline blowingkisses

• Posts Too Much!
  • The girls are here! 8/11/07
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2011, 06:51:24 PM »
When I was pregnant with my daughter, she was looking straight out in the ultrasound picture, and looked like a demon...but she was born 12 years ago, and so far she hasn't possessed anyone's soul or sacrificed any animals or babies or anything.  I am only telling you this so you don't have be afraid of the demon your rat may or may not be gestating.

Love this.

Offline BostonRatLady

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2011, 06:57:24 PM »

:yelcutelaugh: :yelcutelaugh:

Pet's name: Gerald

My current rats: George, Pumpkin, Alfie, Valentino, Franky, Buddy, Olivia, and Dash

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2011, 07:38:21 PM »
Would the Kaytee Soft Granule bedding work as well? I can get the Kaytee easily, but to get the Sun Seed I need to make a special trip to Petsmart. I have never used Sun Seed, so I don't know how it compares to the Soft Granule in texture, etc (I stopped using the granules because they just tossed it EVERYWHERE - worse than aspen!).

Hmmm. It's very light weight, and isn't scented (I think?), so I imagine it would be okay.
This big thing you want to look out for is that is isn't dehydrating the babies skin. Apparently YN has a habit of doing that.

Sunseed is a heavier, pelleted bedding made out of recycled magazines.