Author Topic: Possible Copy cat  (Read 6165 times)

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
Possible Copy cat
« on: September 29, 2011, 09:46:58 AM »
I found this: http://www.ratdippityrattery.com/InStockSwingHammocks.htm while searching up new hammock designs (I've got a few that I'd like to try out, eventually). I thought that hammock was called an Envelope and was only made by one person, I don't remember which, sorry.

Any ways, is the link above a duplicate of an orignal idea or is it folded/wrapped/twisted in a different way?

"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy

Offline Rattitude_Rescue

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rescue. Rehabilitate. Rehome.
    • Rattitude Rescue
Re: Possible Copy cat
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 10:25:30 AM »
The "envelope" is Chelsey's, is it not?

(for some reason the phrase "my creative and original" bothers me.. lol)

Offline ZeppelinLadyLove

• Zepps Thread Work Hammies
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 10:38:49 AM »
Yup that chelsies. Someone should let her know. :poke:
http://zeppsthreadworkhammies.webs.com/

Owned by 9 rats, 2 dogs, and 2 ferrets<3

Offline K Rat1417

• Posts Too Much!
    • K's Kritter Kreations
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 10:46:21 AM »
Yeah that one looks a LITTLE different then hers but it's still hers for sure!

Howlsofangels you should send her the link.

Offline jonahsmom

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 11:12:14 AM »
Chelsey's are much better looking IMO.  I agree someone should let her know.

Offline K Rat1417

• Posts Too Much!
    • K's Kritter Kreations
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 11:17:47 AM »
Chelsey's are much better looking IMO.  I agree someone should let her know.

:thumbsup2: MUCH better!

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pick the adoption option!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 02:23:50 PM »
I emailed her.  I'm sure she won't care and will make up a bunch of stuff (ie. "omgz I've been making them for 400 years longer then you!" or "the designs are totally different!").  :P  Can't stop copycats, unfortunately.  At least hers aren't very good at all.  :yelcutelaugh: 

Thanks for noticing, guys!  :heart:
  <~~ Add Chelsey's Cozies on Facebook!  :)

Offline K Rat1417

• Posts Too Much!
    • K's Kritter Kreations
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 02:27:47 PM »
Yeah I'd (And i'm sure many other people on here) never order from her! Yours are so much better! I'm just waiting for the day when I can order stuff from you lol!

Offline smsrattery

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 11:51:27 PM »
I love hammocks for my ratties. 

Offline Corpseflower

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 06:37:34 PM »
I love hammocks for my ratties.

..... Relevance?

Offline shimonohanzo

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 01:25:06 AM »
Never would order from her. Would definitely order from Chelsey's!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 01:28:20 AM by shimonohanzo »

Offline rodent_girl_1985

• Posts Too Much!
    • TinyDreamerzzzBezzz
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 05:58:33 PM »
Yeah, that looks like hers. Like a cheap, not so hot looking version though.
Unfortunately there isn't much she can do. I've seen hammock makers (none on gm thanks goodness) that have coppied some of my designs. I was basically given the whole 'it's a free cointry' line.
That this person is saying it's her original design is really insulting.

Offline Rattitude_Rescue

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rescue. Rehabilitate. Rehome.
    • Rattitude Rescue
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 06:00:19 PM »
well, I guess all we can do is boycott her >.>

I mean, we're basically the entire rat community. :P

Offline rodent_girl_1985

• Posts Too Much!
    • TinyDreamerzzzBezzz
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 06:24:33 PM »
Lol, scubbs was spot on. I checked her ebay site and she is saying that the 'swing' is her original desin and she's been making it for 8 years.
But yeah, the best thing we can do is not buy from her. That shouldn't be a problem since her stuff looks sloppy anyways.

Offline VanceVEP72

• Welcome home, Mary & Rhoda! 07/03/2010
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 02:53:54 AM »
I know I'm gonna get burned for this one, but here it goes... Should nobody create flat hammocks except the first person that came up with the idea? How about tubes? Pockets? Corners? I wouldn't get all bugged out about it. Keep up the great work, Chelsey.

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 08:21:54 AM »
I know I'm gonna get burned for this one, but here it goes... Should nobody create flat hammocks except the first person that came up with the idea? How about tubes? Pockets? Corners? I wouldn't get all bugged out about it. Keep up the great work, Chelsey.

Flats, cubes, etc. Are all relatively common, and are no longer considered 'original' ideas, they simply aren't very unique any more.

And the problem isn't that she's making them perse', but that she's claiming that they're her original design and we all know that they're not. She's flat out lying, and it would have been considered more polite if she asked the original creator of the hammocks if she could use the design instead of making up lies.
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy

Offline applecavy

• Posts Too Much!
  • Think adoption first! :3
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 08:42:03 AM »
Or at the extreme least, didn't claim they were her design.
I pull designs off the internet for my own rats all the time, but I don't sell them, and if for some reason I did, I wouldn't claim to have come up with them.

Offline gummidog

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 07:42:45 PM »
There is also the slight possibility that this person has never heard of the other person's hammock. She could really believe they were her original design because she'd never seen it before... I'm just saying you can't jump to conclusions

Offline VanceVEP72

• Welcome home, Mary & Rhoda! 07/03/2010
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 12:47:56 AM »
Thanks... I guess I didn't even pay attention to her claims of it being her original design.

Offline Kikoh

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 01:24:42 AM »
If that person is a member here, or if they wanted to come. They should be very offended by this thread, they are just a business trying to make some money I doubt they saw Chelsea's design and went "ohhh!! I am going to steal this and claim as my own mwahhaha"
they are not hurting anyone.
I highly respect the right to ones ideas, and originality. I truly do, but we can't accuse this person of being a thief on that basis that we are....
How would you all like it if your business was being slandered on a Rat website, killing your business and drawing away customers on something as silly as not knowing someone else made it first.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 01:34:27 AM by Kikoh »

Offline Kikoh

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 01:32:55 AM »
And before I get torn to shreds. I want everyone to know my main reasons for begin offended by this thread, as someone who worked with, and is going to be the owner of a small business. This kind of slander can kill a business. Think before you say something.
Because you guys are right this IS the main rat community, and telling everyone here to boycott her could kill any business she has. And is pretty low, based on one misunderstanding.

I am less offended about the issue with originality because that happens regardless of what you sell and I am on the sidelines on this issue since I DON'T know if she knew about other hammocks, and most shop owners shop owners can deal with it accordingly. I am just shocked you would all go to lengths to make this person lose business.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 01:39:41 AM by Kikoh »

Offline ratlady1990

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2011, 02:04:38 AM »
offish topic but wasn't it mentioned that this breeder was "basically a mill"/questionable breeder?
I would think that would be more of a reason to boycott her
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 02:06:51 AM by ratlady1990 »

Offline Kikoh

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2011, 02:11:24 AM »
offish topic but wasn't it mentioned that this breeder was "basically a mill"/questionable breeder?
I would think that would be more of a reason to boycott her

But nothing was said about her being a breeder.  Her site is a hammock sale site, if there is another thread about this person being a not so reputable breeder, I was not aware of it.

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2011, 02:12:39 AM »
I agree with Kikoh.   It would be nice if people had more pride in their work than to attack others who are trying to do similar.   Design is often a mute point to if items sell.   The biggest factor on people initially buying from someone is if they like how it looks.   100's of people can sell similar hammocks (or other items)   and often the thing that makes the biggest difference on people deciding to buy or not is fabric selection.   Sure if the item is cheaply made it is unlikely for someone to reorder, but if they don't like the pattern or look on the item they go somewhere else.   

I've made ones similar to both of these - before seeing them from either seller.   it's easy to experiment with different folds and see what might work.   To slander someone else - who really it is a different product due to how it is hung for 1 thing.   With any type of item there is room for more than 1 producer.   I sell cloth diapers, as well as reusable menstrual pads and other items.   The big things that make it so my items sell are
1.  pride in my work.   I use what I sell.   If I make it for my family and it doesn't work well I don't sell it.   
2.   Large fabric selection and lots of pictures - if people don't find a fabric they like they will likely go elsewhere
3.  Positive reviews
LASTLY is personal experience from customers - I get repeat customers due to selling good products - but what gets the initial sales are the other points I've listed.   

Are some of my products similar to other people's?   Yes.   Did I "copy" them?   No.   I make my own patterns for everything I make.   I test and adapt all my patterns to what works well for me.   

I hope I am expressing this well.   It's 2am and I might be not be writing it well.   

Offline Scubbs

• Posts Too Much!
  • Pick the adoption option!
    • Chelsey's Cozies
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 02:35:44 AM »
I don't know if it makes a difference in this weird argument/debate, but I was never upset about this or anything. I just found it funny. It'd be neat if the argument stopped though. :P
  <~~ Add Chelsey's Cozies on Facebook!  :)

Offline Kikoh

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 02:38:48 AM »
There is nothing more needs to be said really anyway. I was not annoyed at you or your reaction, just that people were saying to boycott and go way overboard for something like this.

Offline rodent_girl_1985

• Posts Too Much!
    • TinyDreamerzzzBezzz
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 12:14:29 PM »
I guess I did overreact. It doew upset me when I see my fellow hamock makers being coppied. Two years ago I was browsing on etsy and found someone selling a 'critter hive'. Looked like mine in everyway. Heck, they didn't even bother to change the name! They were also advertising it as their own design. I sent them a message and they admitted they new it was my design, that they had seen it on gm ( they didn't give their user name though). They said they didn't have time to think uptheir own designs and that if I didn't like it well tough. There was nothing I could do about it. I do see that they no longer sell on etsy, so thats a small comfort.