Author Topic: Dog Aggression  (Read 695 times)

Offline SSTFLFPS

• Posts Too Much!
  • The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs...
Dog Aggression
« on: October 05, 2011, 09:19:09 PM »
I mentioned this in their thread, but thought I'd make a separate thread for this issue.  The girls have a passionate, want you dead hatred for my dogs.  I need to make them at least tolerate the dogs.  They need work on socialization and if they would accept the dogs, they could get 2-3x as much of my time.

The dogs are not the problem.  There is no growling.  No fixation.  They sit or lie about ten feet away looking at the kittens and then at me while the kittens spit, lunge, yowl, and hiss.  Finally, for the dogs' sake, I give up and someone gets penned.

I'd love it if they loved each other, but at this point I'll do a happy dance for tolerance.  Any experience on dog  aggression in VERY young kittens?

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
Re: Dog Aggression
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 07:04:44 PM »
It's probably more fear than anything, I know I've seen, and interrupted, those same behaviors in several of my previous cats and one current feline.

I would scruff them or hold them firmly and walk around near the dogs occasionally leaning down to pat the calm dogs while the cat fusses all it wants, I'm a very confidant person when I handle my animals and am able to do this without a towel and with minimal scratches, but, if your animals are too aggressive you may want to towel them the first couple times till they're calm enough to just scruff them or hold them securely.

After a while the cats would learn to relax in my arms as I make my rounds, while I'm not holding them they go to a separate room until they're used to the dogs enough to relax, as stated earlier. When they're calm around the dogs then I'll put them down, if they move to fuss over the dogs then they're either "Sh'ed" a quick succession of "sh sh sh sh sh" which should distract them long enough to catch them or confuse them long enough so that they wander off, or forget what they were going to do, or if that doesn't work I'll clap at them, or stomp my foot, anything to distract them/interrupt the behavior.

When I'm not around to supervise, until I know they're wont be any confrontations, the cats are always put up in another room. This is just what has worked for me and I can't guarantee anything, but it may be worth a shot.
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
Re: Dog Aggression
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 07:48:52 PM »
Whoops.  ::) Forgot to mention, I guess it seemed obvious, any calm behavior should be praised, usually verbally as good behavior can be them sniffing the dogs out of curiosity and if you come up to pet them to encourage the behavior you may surprise them and upset them, even walking away from the dogs can be considered a good behavior as long as it's done without them spitting, growling, etc, puffing up is alright as long as it doesn't lead up to anything more.
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy