Author Topic: My cat is acting funny  (Read 6535 times)

Offline Andrea12065

My cat is acting funny
« on: October 10, 2011, 12:20:21 PM »
I dont know whats up with her, but shes acting weird. She NEVER sleeps up my mead head anymore, and lately, she sleeps on my pilllow right above my head. Shes also been following me around more than usual. I had a flea issue  couple months ago, and used frontline on her, and she has a flea collar on. Shes not acting sick or anything, its just the sleeping thing is NOT like her. She slept right between me and my boyfriend, and she isnt like that. Shes kind of a loner, likes be be by herself unless SHE wants to be pet lol. So any ideas?? Thanks!

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: My cat is acting funny
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 01:49:13 PM »
Sudden behavioral changes can be a cause for concern, but if that's the only one you're seeing, it may just be that something freaked her out, and she's looking for a bit of reassurance.  Has anything changed recently in the house?  Did you bring in new pets, or rearrange furniture, or anything that might have weirded her out?

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 02:36:39 PM »
Flea collars are not safe to use.   

Offline Andrea12065

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 03:14:11 PM »
Marybelle, I did move stuff around in the living room, rearranged it. We got our dog in may, but this behavior is recent. I thought that maybe is was because she had no food in her bowl, or water, but that wasnt the case.

Kat, I took her flea collar off just now. The vet at petsmart told us to use a flea collar because the fleas werent going away on her. Im pretty sure she doesnt have anymore, but shes due for her frontline saturday. Id bathe her, but she MEAN lol..serisously theres NO way to bathe her

Offline Ratluvr22

• Posts Too Much!
  • "Got any Yogies??"
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 11:24:07 AM »
I've used flea collars on all my cats because they all figured out how to reach around and lick the frontline lol is there a reason they're not safe? I've never had problems with them and they've successfully kept fleas off my babies.

Offline HowlsOfAngels

• Posts Too Much!
  • Did everything just taste purple for a second?
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 06:46:22 PM »
If the flea collar gets caught on something it wont snap like a regular cat collar it will strangle them. Cat collars are constructed to break when it gets caught on things so that it doesn't strangle the cat, there's a little stretchy band connecting the two straps that make up the cat collar and that is the 'break away' portion of it.
"Optimus Prime says 'No,' to promiscuos sex." - Alex Murphy

Offline nakedrats

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 08:26:04 PM »

Frontline has been having problems with resistance.  If the fleas come back, switch products.  I think Advantage has less of a problem.  I personally prefer Program for maintenance flea prevention because it's not a nerve toxin like most flea meds.  It is a tablet that can be hid in a pill pocket or mashed up and mixed with wet food or tuna.  It doesn't kill the adult fleas, but it kills any eggs they try to lay.  If you are keeping your cats on flea meds just as a preventative, this is a nice non-toxic option that they can't lick off or strangle themselves with.  It's also over the counter.   ;)

Did you deworm your cat after all the fleas were gone?  Fleas carry tapeworm, so most cats need to be dewormed after encountering fleas.  Make sure the dewormer states that it works for tapeworm, most over the counter wormers don't.

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 09:06:53 PM »
Marybelle, I did move stuff around in the living room, rearranged it. We got our dog in may, but this behavior is recent. I thought that maybe is was because she had no food in her bowl, or water, but that wasnt the case.

Rearranging furniture might have been enough to do it.  Sometimes they just want a little extra reassurance after something changes.  :)

Offline Andrea12065

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 09:07:46 PM »
i was told by the vet to wait and see if the fleas are ALL gone before deoworming her, and she said to check her poop too, which ive been doing. Ill probably deworm next month to be sure

Offline Andrea12065

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 09:08:57 PM »

Rearranging furniture might have been enough to do it.  Sometimes they just want a little extra reassurance after something changes.  :)

I never thought of that, thank you.. :)

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 09:15:16 PM »
Cats are very much creatures of habit, and any change to the routine can freak them out a bit.  Has she gone back to normal (for her) at this point?

Offline Andrea12065

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 10:28:15 PM »
kind of, she still follows me a bit more than usual, but ive been trying to pet her more. Shes a funny cat, she likes to be left alone, but around you if you know what I mean. We got her from the shelter and Im pretty sure they told me she lived in a barn (which would be why shes great at getting mice for me lol) so I dont think she got much attention, but she has come along way since we got her. If she starts acting funny again, ill have to call the vet just to make sure its not medical. I actually brought her to the vet before because I though she purred too much lol..vet told me shes just happy and loves me lol..

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 10:38:37 PM »
Hey, it's better to take her to the vet and have it be nothing rather than assuming it's nothing and have it turn out to be something major!  :)

Offline Ratluvr22

• Posts Too Much!
  • "Got any Yogies??"
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 12:04:56 PM »
I actually have break away flea collars on my Kitties they sell them at the petco I work at.

Offline Ratacate

• Posts Too Much!
  • <3
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 11:07:55 PM »
I also use break away flea collars on my cat. Instead of the buckle, its a button that goes in a slit. If it gets caught, it sledes right out of the slit
Current Ratties:
Pandora
Gypsy

Bridge:
Ratacate (<3 rat)
Rainbow
Ratatta
Rat 1 (who never had a name :/ )
Oreo
Ruby
Martha
Razzle
Mary

Offline *Kat*

• Posts Too Much!
    • Kat's Kreations
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 01:49:35 AM »
If you search "danger of flea collars"   lots of info comes up.   

Offline Andrea12065

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 12:11:56 PM »
i guess theres bad chemicals in flea collars, but i use frontline and theres chemicals in that too lol..so i guess it doesnt matter lol...i have to use the frontline because the fleas around here are so bad this year..never ever had an issue before..

Offline Marybelle

• Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2011, 02:36:18 PM »
i guess theres bad chemicals in flea collars, but i use frontline and theres chemicals in that too lol..so i guess it doesnt matter lol...i have to use the frontline because the fleas around here are so bad this year..never ever had an issue before..

It's not about the chemicals so much as it is the type of chemicals, if I recall correctly.  Most flea collars are coated with the kind that can be toxic in too high a dose.  And honestly, if you're doing a monthly spot on flea treatment, the flea collar is overkill, and not particularly necessary.  If you think the Frontline isn't working (some fleas seem to be becoming resistant to it) switch to Advantage, and see if that works better.

Offline Andrea12065

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 11:49:09 AM »
i found flea eggs and baby fleas on her sleeping spot last night :(   So apparently the frontline is NOT working, I just used it so I have t wait till next mth to use advantix..im upset..this poor car..her ear is all chewed up. I cant bathe her because she MEAN! Unless anyone can give me advice on how to bathe a mean cat lol..idk what else to do...

Offline Ratacate

• Posts Too Much!
  • <3
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 11:53:18 AM »
Gloves, no running water, and patience.
Current Ratties:
Pandora
Gypsy

Bridge:
Ratacate (<3 rat)
Rainbow
Ratatta
Rat 1 (who never had a name :/ )
Oreo
Ruby
Martha
Razzle
Mary

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 12:18:58 PM »
Capstar (supplied by vet) can be used with other treatments but only kills the fleas for 24 hrs. It can help to allow you to clean the pet areas to kill the eggs and give the cat some relief.

Frontline sucks and frontline plus has extra chemicals cats should avoid if possible. I dont even know why frontline is even on the market anymore. Ive had good results with advantage. I dont do long term flea prevention. I flea comb regularly and keep the cats inside.

Offline Andrea12065

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 01:07:02 PM »
cat is an indoor cat..but i think they were brought in by the dog. I never did flea treatments on her before this. I tried the combing thing, but didnt really work. Im SO mad about her stilll having fleas becuase it took me like 3 weeks to get rid of them..but i guess theyre were some still hiding. Im moving into a new house and Im so afraid Im going to bring them with us. Im trying the advantix but Im also going to try bathing her..so if you never hear from me again, the cat got me lol

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 01:25:40 PM »
Clip the cats claws first front and back if you can. Less blood that way.  ;) If you cant clip the cats claws...good luck on the bath. Leave the doors unlocked in case you have to call 911.  :)

You will probably have to keep the cat treated for 6 mos at least to get rid of all the fleas. The cat becomes the flea killer. Its very effective as they will feed on the cat and die right after they hatch so eventually there wont be any fleas left.

Also if you still have the dog the dog needs to be treated for the same time as the cat.

The first strays we took in here had fleas. I guess some eggs stayed in the boys room since the cats didnt hang out in there the fleas never hatched. The cats got in there months later, the fleas immediately hatched and got on the cats. I found out within 24hrs so I treated the cats for about 3 months and made them go in the room everyday to kill all  the fleas.

Offline Andrea12065

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2011, 06:39:11 PM »
yeah weve been treating the dog way before the cat..this is a pain lol

Offline forkyfork

• Posts Too Much!
    • DANANI
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2011, 10:19:24 AM »
yeah weve been treating the dog way before the cat..this is a pain lol

You should switch the dog to advantage too.

Try treating 8 cats of various weights and a dog.  :worry:  It was expensive. I also had to make sure I used the dog stuff that cats could be around because some of the cats slept in the dogs bed.