Author Topic: Food Aggression in Kitten  (Read 603 times)

Offline Orion510

Food Aggression in Kitten
« on: October 14, 2011, 10:15:22 PM »
I have two female 8 week old kittens that I found outside when they were three weeks old. Recently, they have been showing some food aggression. Both of them growl at each other while they are eating, and one(Oakley) will swipe at the other and practically sit in the bowl to keep her sister out. If I put my hand near her she swipes at me as well.

I am concerned with this behavior since I plan on rehoming them once they are spayed and tested for FIV and FeLV. However, I am not sure how people will react to a cat with aggression issues. I know it can sometimes be difficult to find homes for a "perfect" cat let alone one with an undesirable issue.

Is there a way to curb this behavior? Am I over reacting to a normal behavior(I have little experience with cats)? Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline Ratacate

• Posts Too Much!
  • <3
Re: Food Aggression in Kitten
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 11:03:03 PM »
I know things are different with cats but what I did with my puppy is hand feed him until he got used to my hand being in his food. I would put the food in the bowl then make him sit and watch as I grabbed a handful. If he made any threatening gestures, he waited longer. Then I just let him eat it out of my hand while using my other hand to pet all over his face. And with treats like big bones, ill give it to him but hold on to one side while hes eating it. he hasnt had any problems since. Maybe you could try something similar with the cats. Hope this helps.
Current Ratties:
Pandora
Gypsy

Bridge:
Ratacate (<3 rat)
Rainbow
Ratatta
Rat 1 (who never had a name :/ )
Oreo
Ruby
Martha
Razzle