Author Topic: What Wood Is Bad For Rats To Chew ?  (Read 2991 times)

Offline Picante

What Wood Is Bad For Rats To Chew ?
« on: October 15, 2011, 02:00:32 PM »
I vaguely remember a post about safe wood and unsafe wood for ratties to chew.  In the past I asked about chopsticks because they seem so splintery.  All the responses said it was safe.  What about skewers from the grill.  They seem like splintery too?

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
Re: What Wood Is Bad For Rats To Chew ?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 03:22:01 PM »
There are no woods unsafe for them to chew. Pine and Cedar are bad for weddings, or hides, because they release phenols that are unsafe for their lungs. However, if they are just hanging chews, they're not urinating or inhaling them. I sniff all toys from the pet store before hand.

As for skewers, if there's no pointy tip on it, I don't see why it'd be a problem. Rats don't ingest the splinters. They gnaw and drop the shreddings. I can't imagine a skewer would be any different than thin applewood sticks.

Offline RatDadJoe

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 01:09:21 AM »
There are no woods unsafe for them to chew. Pine and Cedar are bad for weddings, or hides, because they release phenols that are unsafe for their lungs. However, if they are just hanging chews, they're not urinating or inhaling them. I sniff all toys from the pet store before hand.

As for skewers, if there's no pointy tip on it, I don't see why it'd be a problem. Rats don't ingest the splinters. They gnaw and drop the shreddings. I can't imagine a skewer would be any different than thin applewood sticks.

Yes, there ARE unsafe woods... Such as cherry wood, which is VERY poisonous. Apple and pear branches are ok, as are willow twigs and grapevine. I give mine the "stick" from caramel apples all the time, and they are just whitewood (pine/spruce families of trees, but they are cured and have the sap/oils chemically washed of to be foodsafe), as are the colorful chew sticks they sell in petshops. I've also let mine chew on bamboo skewers. This isn't wood, but mine also LOVE leftover beef, pork, and chicken bones, which really do a good job of helping them keep their teeth trimmed. Another nice thing you can give your rats to chew are whole, in the shell hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans, and brazilnuts, they get exercise and a treat! 8)
~~(   )8:>         RatDadJoe        <:8(   )~~
 Owned by: Sushi, Butter, Wonton and Eggroll.
Friends waiting at the Bridge: Peanut and Toast

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 01:24:47 AM »
Oh, well thank you for correcting me! I wasn't aware you could even get cherry wood like that, though I suppose people could get it from their own trees.

Offline maesie

• Posts Too Much!
  • 100% Aussi
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 01:35:19 AM »
I much prefer cooked bone for my guys. They get some yummy meat and a good chew toys that lasts for ages (once the meat is gone)

Offline Nari Caution

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rats, the fanciest of pets~
    • Etsy~
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 01:16:09 PM »
Just to be clear, anything you give them from the outside world should be frozen first, right? My aunt has a pear and an Apple tree which I can help myself to branches and I know are pesticide free as they also have a bee hive. But what is the benefit of freezing wood, like what does it specifically prevent? 

http://www.etsy.com/shop/NariCaution

Please pardon my punctuation errors, my space bar likes to put 2 spaces which auto-corrects to adding a period.

Offline bleedingheart

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 02:05:52 PM »
So does this mean that since the wood in Snak Shaks is treated that it's fine? My little ones love those, but I thought I read somewhere that they were still bad.

Offline RattiesSix

• Posts Too Much!
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 07:59:34 PM »
I wouldn't feed those snack shacks, they're definitely bad. When rats chew on wood toys and such, they drop the wood. They don't ingest it, because they know it isn't food. The shacks are saturated in sugar and mollasses, so they think it is food, so they ingest it.

I don't freeze, I don't think it sanitizes them. I pour boiling water over them, and then bake them at 300 until dry. It prevents mites, parasites, insects, etc.

Offline loveforrats16

• Posts Too Much!
  • Dont Own An Animal If You Cant Take Care Of It.
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 11:16:34 PM »
I also soaked the wood in my bathtub (cleaned prior!) in hot water and a tiny bit of bleach for a few minutes, then rinsed them, then soaked them in plain hot water to make sure there was no bleach for a few minutes, then rinsed them again, then baked them at 325 I believe for an hour.
Dont wait around for someone else to do something that needs to be done.
Adopt, Love, Take Care, Take Charge.

Informational Websites;
http://ratguide.com/health/basics/advanced_health_check.php
rmca.org/Resources/rmcafaq.htm
ratfanclub.org/firstaid.html
afrma.org/rmindex.htm
quite.co.uk/rat

Offline RatDadJoe

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 03:57:47 AM »
Just to be clear, anything you give them from the outside world should be frozen first, right? My aunt has a pear and an Apple tree which I can help myself to branches and I know are pesticide free as they also have a bee hive. But what is the benefit of freezing wood, like what does it specifically prevent?

Freezing would kill mites (we freeze our carefresh before we use it for just that reason), but it wouldn't kill bacteria and stuff. If you wanna use trim from your aunt's trees, just give it a rinse and a quick scrub in hot water to get the surface dirt off, and then toss it in a 250f oven until it's nice and dried out, an hour or 2 should be good enough. it would make the wood sterile, and also has the added benefit of drying the wood out, so no bacteria could grow in it, either. Plus, dry wood is harder, and better for rattie teeth to chew. My rats LOVE trims from my apple and pear trees prepared this way... :) When i trim my grapevines this month, I'm thinking about trying to make it into balls like they have at the petstore, and baking it to harden it into shape.
~~(   )8:>         RatDadJoe        <:8(   )~~
 Owned by: Sushi, Butter, Wonton and Eggroll.
Friends waiting at the Bridge: Peanut and Toast

Offline Nari Caution

• Posts Too Much!
  • Rats, the fanciest of pets~
    • Etsy~
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 10:46:29 AM »
Ah, alright. I'm going to my aunts today actually so I'll be sure to get the buys a few choice branches and bake them. Thanks for the lesson in improvised wood preparation, cuz knowledge is power! that's a good idea actually with the grape vines. I'll have to remember that next time I visit my grandma too. :D

http://www.etsy.com/shop/NariCaution

Please pardon my punctuation errors, my space bar likes to put 2 spaces which auto-corrects to adding a period.