Author Topic: FeLv/FIV Article  (Read 594 times)

Offline SSTFLFPS

• Posts Too Much!
  • The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs...
FeLv/FIV Article
« on: October 25, 2011, 01:26:20 AM »
Someone posted this article on another forum and I'm curious to see what the consensus is here:

http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/HOW_TO_RELEASING_FIV_FELV_POSITIVE_CATS

Offline Marybelle

• Magic Wizard of Everything
  • Global Moderator
  • Posts Too Much!
  • Weird, and proud of it!
Re: FeLv/FIV Article
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 08:29:59 AM »
I think it makes a lot of sense, personally.  The main methods of transmission for FIV/FeLv are sexual contact and fighting.  So, if you're spaying and neutering, you're taking out the vectors for transmission.  Are there other ways that it gets transmitted?  Sure.  But those are the main ones.

Life is dangerous for ferals, and you can't take that risk away completely, but you can spend the money available wisely and improve their conditions.

Offline Artis2608

Re: FeLv/FIV Article
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 08:28:30 PM »
Having a my 12 year old Zoey just die Saturday night from FIV, if an cat had FIV  they need to be kept away from other cats.  Period.  Zoey was an indoor cat that sat on the porch.  She contacted FIV from a neglectful pet owner that allowed their diseased pet to roam the streets.  She was attacked.  She lived 5 years with FIV.  She got colds, lost most of her teeth, had sores.  Its serious.  Not something to mess around with.  Had we known it even existed she would have been vaccinated.  I think there needs to be more information and vets need to be reminding patients to get vaccinated for these horrible deadly diseases.